The Student Room Group

BT Apprenticeship 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I live near Cardiff and I just sent my application yesterday for the Bt Engineer Apprenticeship. I was just wondering if there was anyone else on here who has applied recently? How long do you think it will be until I get a reply?
Original post by OliverLloyd
Hi,

I live near Cardiff and I just sent my application yesterday for the Bt Engineer Apprenticeship. I was just wondering if there was anyone else on here who has applied recently? How long do you think it will be until I get a reply?

Hey,

I applied three weeks ago and have yet to hear back from them. I've been keepin an eye on this thread and so far it has been suggested that they get back to you after a month.

Best of luck!
Original post by bmcenturion
Hey,

I applied three weeks ago and have yet to hear back from them. I've been keepin an eye on this thread and so far it has been suggested that they get back to you after a month.

Best of luck!

Ye a month seems to be the general waiting time, I wish they responded quicker than that. Do you know if it is very competitive apprenticeship/ do a lot of people apply? it say's on gov.uk that there are only 250 places in the uk.

good luck with your application!
Ye a month seems to be the general waiting time, I wish they responded quicker than that. Do you know if it is very competitive apprenticeship/ do a lot of people apply? it say's on gov.uk that there are only 250 places in the uk.

good luck with your application!

I would say nothing worth having is easy to come by! Coming back to your question i would say the answer is a tricky one unless you can get a hold of the BT's HR department/ the company that recruits on their behalf.

I dont imagine the scheme is as popular as the civil service fast track apprenticeship scheme. However, having said that i dont imagine anyone can waltz their way into any of their positions. You, i and everyone else who applies will have to show we deserve to be on the scheme. Being prepared is key.

If they have 250 positions available, i can imagine at the very least they are in receipt 5000+ applications nationwide. However, most people wont make past the application stage. As a general rule, recruitment cycles of this magnitude usually mean that by the time candidates get to the assessment center stage, they have either a 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 chance.
Reply 84
Can't comment on this years intake as I don't know and you're asking about engineering rather than IT (different departments) but BT's PR did but out a report a couple of years ago which stated 24000+ applicants for 220 places (link below), I seem to remember my intake at similar numbers of applicants for about 100 places although I don't know if that was ever specifically stated by the company.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/aug/16/bt-apprenticeships-record-applications

Apparently harder to get into than Oxford :wink:
Original post by bmcenturion
I would say nothing worth having is easy to come by! Coming back to your question i would say the answer is a tricky one unless you can get a hold of the BT's HR department/ the company that recruits on their behalf.

I dont imagine the scheme is as popular as the civil service fast track apprenticeship scheme. However, having said that i dont imagine anyone can waltz their way into any of their positions. You, i and everyone else who applies will have to show we deserve to be on the scheme. Being prepared is key.

If they have 250 positions available, i can imagine at the very least they are in receipt 5000+ applications nationwide. However, most people wont make past the application stage. As a general rule, recruitment cycles of this magnitude usually mean that by the time candidates get to the assessment center stage, they have either a 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 chance.

Original post by ichak
Can't comment on this years intake as I don't know and you're asking about engineering rather than IT (different departments) but BT's PR did but out a report a couple of years ago which stated 24000+ applicants for 220 places (link below), I seem to remember my intake at similar numbers of applicants for about 100 places although I don't know if that was ever specifically stated by the company.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/aug/16/bt-apprenticeships-record-applications

Thanks for the information guys, I didn't realise so many people apply for the apprenticeship, I should have applied to Oxford instead haha. I will have 3 A levels this September, one being in maths, so hopefully that will help me. I was planning on going to university, got a place, but I really want to do this apprenticeship now.
I know it's quite late into the application process now so I hope there are still some places left in my area (Cardiff, Wales). I've had a look online but had no luck, do BT offer work experience over the summer holidays? as that would help my application
Reply 86
Hello,

I'm coming to the end of my first year on the Advanced Power Apprenticeship within TSO (one of the businesses within BT). I must say it's absolutely flown by, and it's such an amazing company to work for I would recommend it to anyone!

Happy to answer questions on here or via PM

:smile:
Original post by ichak

Just like it's "more difficult to get an apprenticeship at BAE or Rolls Royce than it is to get a place at Oxford or Cambridge"...these companies obvs don't take their schemes lightly! :wink:
Reply 88
Original post by Amit RMA
Just like it's "more difficult to get an apprenticeship at BAE or Rolls Royce than it is to get a place at Oxford or Cambridge"...these companies obvs don't take their schemes lightly! :wink:

True but the reason for the winking smily is in my opinion it's a misleading nothing statement.

The intakes are totally different, I'd bet it's actually much harder to get into Oxford as most Oxford applicants would probably have a good shot at an apprenticeship but almost no apprentice would get into Oxford.

Apples and Oranges but that's statistics for you.
Original post by ichak
True but the reason for the winking smily is in my opinion it's a misleading nothing statement.

The intakes are totally different, I'd bet it's actually much harder to get into Oxford as most Oxford applicants would probably have a good shot at an apprenticeship but almost no apprentice would get into Oxford.

Apples and Oranges but that's statistics for you.

It's an interesting statement. There must be some basis for it, otherwise why would the company say it? Any company could start making such claims in that case, and if found to be wrong would be criticised for saying so. The number of places available differs, as does the intake pool and the number of people who would consider applying.

Having said that, using some figures:

Oxford University got 18,000 applications for 3,200 available undergraduate places in 2014-15, roughly a 17.8% conversion rate.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures#

So if Rolls-Royce had 260 available apprenticeship places (http://www.rolls-royce.com/careers/students-and-graduates/apprenticeships.aspx) and filled them all at an intake conversion rate of roughly 17.8% of the total number of applicants, (going by Oxford's ratio), the number of applicants would have been 1,463.

So, if Rolls-Royce received in excess of 1,463 applications for 260 places, that would be an acceptance rate of less than 17.8%, making it statistically harder than getting a place at Oxford.

So I don't think it can be called misleading if it's statistically true based on the figures that these companies have released. As mentioned earlier, intake pools and requirements vary, so this doesn't tell the whole story by any means, but it does show that in terms of competition for places, it would be harder to get a place on certain apprenticeships than at certain universities.

Similarly, 220 places from at least 24,000 applications would be a 0.92% conversion rate, which is much lower than Oxford's 17.8%.
Reply 90
How many people dont apply to Oxford because they know they wouldn't get in versus how many people chance it for an apprenticeship because the intake requirements stated aren't that high (even higher apprenticeships usually only require a couple of a levels which is pretty unlikely to be the Oxford intake requirement)?

Personally I think it's a not a very useful statistic except to point out both are very difficult to get into.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone who attended vehicle maintanence interview get any word back yet?
Reply 92
Has anyone been offered a apprenticeship in ipswich yet
Hi, does anyone know if there is a phone number you can talk to someone in Bt about the apprenticeship? I have sent off my application but I want to add a few things to it, I can edit it but I was wondering if this will delay them getting my application(i.e will it be re-sent)?
Reply 94
hi oliver.

it would be quicker to edit as that way you would know it was done.
Anyone know what the career prospects are for doing the customer service and call centre management apprenticeship are like? Unfortunately it's the only apprenticeship I can do, I don't drive and the IT/Finance apprenticeships are too far :/
I also have A levels so am hoping to get onto a higher apprenticeship.
And I have my hub day/interview at Blackburn on the 23rd.
Any info will be great, thanks :smile:
Has anyone been for an interview?
What did you do for the presentation on something you are proud of? And the example of logical thinking?
Original post by dan.prudolph
Anyone know what the career prospects are for doing the customer service and call centre management apprenticeship are like? Unfortunately it's the only apprenticeship I can do, I don't drive and the IT/Finance apprenticeships are too far :/
I also have A levels so am hoping to get onto a higher apprenticeship.
And I have my hub day/interview at Blackburn on the 23rd.
Any info will be great, thanks :smile:

Hi Dan, how long did it take for them to get back to you after sending off your application?
Hi Dan, how long did it take for them to get back to you after sending off your application?

Not long, a little over 3 weeks. However I have a mild disability and disclosed that information on my application, so they may only be giving me an interview to meet their disability equality obligation :/
Hopefully I can impress at the hub day/interview though.
Original post by dan.prudolph
Not long, a little over 3 weeks. However I have a mild disability and disclosed that information on my application, so they may only be giving me an interview to meet their disability equality obligation :/
Hopefully I can impress at the hub day/interview though.

It's been a bit over 2 weeks now for me, so I'll probably get a reply in a couple of weeks, best of luck with your interview! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending