The Student Room Group

Will the real TeeEm please stand up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gome44
Sorry, it's π/2, my handwriting is just really bad :tongue:

True, I thought that was an 'n'. lol
You should learn LaTeX, they use it for all sorts of stuff in academics.

Oh and may I ask what was your Oxford offer on? I mean which A levels?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gagafacea1
True, I thought that was an 'n'. lol
You should learn LaTeX, they use it for all sorts of stuff in academics.

Oh and may I ask what was your Oxford offer on? I mean which A levels?

I suppose I do have all summer to...

But I'm trying to learn analysis this summer, it's going great. So far I've proved if b>0 then -b<0 and other fun stuff like that :L

A*'s in maths and f.maths, A in anything. Although, I didn't actually declare that I was doing A2 add. further maths on my ucas form, instead I just put an AS in it, as I decided to do the full A-level a couple of weeks after I handed my ucas form in. So I'm not sure if the A can be in add further.
Original post by Gome44
I suppose I do have all summer to...

But I'm trying to learn analysis this summer, it's going great. So far I've proved if b>0 then -b<0 and other fun stuff like that :L

A*'s in maths and f.maths, A in anything. Although, I didn't actually declare that I was doing A2 add. further maths on my ucas form, instead I just put an AS in it, as I decided to do the full A-level a couple of weeks after I handed my ucas form in. So I'm not sure if the A can be in add further.

Was there supposed to be quotes around the word fun, because to me that sounds NOT fun. I'm doing complex analysis (REALLY FUN!!) in the summer, since I've done real analysis waaaay before. Though I don't remember much of it (like the squeeze theorem and Rolle's theorem), I can easily get back to where I was in a month if I wanted. I'm also practicing doing proofs and disciplining myself into liking things like number theory, doing proofs and linear algebra; it's not going good so far as I always end up going back to analysis for FUN! lol
Oh and I'm also forcing my sister to do further additional maths even though she has no interest in maths, so I'm trying to teach her C1-4 in the summer + september at most.

Oh and why Oxford not Cambridge?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 743
Original post by Gome44
Sorry, it's π/2, my handwriting is just really bad :tongue:

I have an answer in 45 minutes (very long)

y=tanx(secx-tanx)
Was there supposed to be quotes around the word fun, because to me that sounds NOT fun. I'm doing complex analysis (REALLY FUN!!) in the summer, since I've done real analysis waaaay before. Though I don't remember much of it (like the squeeze theorem and Rolle's theorem), I can easily get back to where I was in a month if I wanted. I'm also practicing doing proofs and disciplining myself into liking things like number theory, doing proofs and linear algebra; it's not going good so far as I always end up going back to analysis for FUN! lol
Oh and I'm also forcing my sister to do further additional maths even though she has no interest in maths, so I'm trying to teach her C1-4 in the summer + september at most.

Oh and why Oxford not Cambridge?

So far it's dull but I'm sure it'll pick up. Are you off to uni after the summer then?

Cba with step :tongue:

Edit: nvm, just read your profile. Why are you so advanced? You'll forget everything by the time you get to uni :tongue:

Also, pretty sure you can't apply to cambridge for 2 different courses
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
I have an answer in 45 minutes (very long)

y=tanx(secx-tanx)

I think you meant to quote gagaface :smile: If you meant to quote me that doesn't satisfy the initial conditions

Edit: nvm, you just had it in a different form. I had it as y=sin(x)/(1+sin(x))

God damn how are you so smart
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 746
Original post by Gome44
I think you meant to quote gagaface :smile: If you meant to quote me that doesn't satisfy the initial conditions

your initial condition use y=1/2 which produces a singularity in the ODE
Original post by TeeEm
your initial condition use y=1/2 which produces a singularity in the ODE

Yep, just added an edit. I initially said that as tan(π/2) is bad
Reply 748
Original post by Gome44

Edit: nvm, you just had it in a different form. I had it as y=sin(x)/(1+sin(x))

God damn how are you so smart

Tt is a beautiful question but it has to be changed condition wise to support this answer.

I will try to rescue it because i wrote a full neat solution and I want to steal it.

( I also wrote an integration question which occurred in the middle of the solution)

I wish I was smart... I just know a lot of techniques when it comes to methods.
Original post by TeeEm
Tt is a beautiful question but it has to be changed condition wise to support this answer.

I will try to rescue it because i wrote a full neat solution and I want to steal it.

( I also wrote an integration question which occurred in the middle of the solution)

I wish I was smart... I just know a lot of techniques when it comes to methods.

Which conditions need changing? Can you post your solution? I need to see if my solution with my conditions is wrong :smile:
Original post by Gome44
So far it's dull but I'm sure it'll pick up. Are you off to uni after the summer then?

Cba with step :tongue:

Edit: nvm, just read your profile. Why are you so advanced? You'll forget everything by the time you get to uni :tongue:

Also, pretty sure you can't apply to cambridge for 2 different courses

No it's actually just a first year course, where you can do the physics part from Natural Sciences instead of two courses from the Maths Tripos in the first year. After that you have to decide if you want to do Physics or Maths. However I might apply to Maths only, since I'm afraid of getting an offer on the Physics A level.

And you are SO right to hate STEP, believe you me it's a nightmare having your offer depend on it. That said, firstly, Cambridge is supposedly better at maths than Oxford. Secondly, Oxford looks for good GCSEs, which I don't have.

Also I'm not THAT advanced, I still know nothing about Abstract Algebra, number theory, etc. And reading/studying maths is a hobby for me (the parts that I enjoy that is), so I don't really mind if I forget a thing or two, I do it again anyways.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 751
Original post by Gome44
Which conditions need changing? Can you post your solution? I need to see if my solution with my conditions is wrong :smile:

in this question y cannot be 1/2

you can see this in the original ODE

I fell for it and in several places there after I am doing illegal moves ...

The question need changing only in the conditions to produce the same constants as before, WITHOUT y=1/2
No it's actually just a first year course, where you can do the physics part from Natural Sciences instead of two courses from the Maths Tripos in the first year. After that you have to decide if you want to do Physics or Maths. However I might apply to Maths only, since I'm afraid of getting an offer on the Physics A level.

And you are SO right to hate STEP, believe you me it's a nightmare having your offer depend on it. That said, firstly, Cambridge is supposedly better at maths than Oxford. Secondly, Oxford looks for good GCSEs, which I don't have.

Also I'm not THAT advanced, I still know nothing about Abstract Algebra, number theory, etc. And reading/studying maths is a hobby for me (the parts that I enjoy that is), so I don't really mind if I forget a thing or two, I do it again anyways.

I didn't have that good GCSE's (relative to other applicants), but the school I did them at was terrible (I think only 47% of people got 5 A*-C grades, the rest didn't), so they take that into consideration. Of course, I have no idea what your school is like though. Cam is probably better at maths than Ox if you want to go into research, but my plan is to go into the banking sector and earn loads of money, so I doubt employers will care too much.

Also, I dont think I would get into Cam due to STEP. I can do the questions, but whether or not I could get 4 full solutions in STEP lll in 3 hours is a different matter. Although, I did the 2015 step 1 paper under exam conditions a couple of days ago and reckon I got 99/120, but I had no exam pressure or anything.
Original post by TeeEm

The question need changing only in the conditions to produce the same constants as before, WITHOUT y=1/2

Ah yes, I see :L

I think x=0 y=0 y'=1 is fine :smile:
Reply 754
Original post by TeeEm

Original post by Gome44

I sorted the conditions

x= π/6, y=1/3 dy/dx = (2√3)/9

It was indeed a very good attempt on question making on your part.

the solution needs no change except the small bit of workings when it comes to find constants
Original post by TeeEm
I sorted the conditions

x= π/6, y=1/3 dy/dx = (2√3)/9

It was indeed a very good attempt on question making on your part.

the solution needs no change except the small bit of workings when it comes to find constants

Thanks :smile:. I was originally messing around f(x)/(1+f(x)) where f(x) was an inverse trig/hyperbolic function, but couldn't get anywhere with it :L
Original post by Gome44
I didn't have that good GCSE's (relative to other applicants), but the school I did them at was terrible (I think only 47% of people got 5 A*-C grades, the rest didn't), so they take that into consideration. Of course, I have no idea what your school is like though. Cam is probably better at maths than Ox if you want to go into research, but my plan is to go into the banking sector and earn loads of money, so I doubt employers will care too much.

Also, I dont think I would get into Cam due to STEP. I can do the questions, but whether or not I could get 4 full solutions in STEP lll in 3 hours is a different matter. Although, I did the 2015 step 1 paper under exam conditions a couple of days ago and reckon I got 99/120, but I had no exam pressure or anything.

Oh no as you can see maths (and physics) are a passion of mine, so I definitely want to go into research.

99/120 is really good! I don't think I've done that good in it, I answered 4 questions, the last one is a collection of partials (a few questions' marks that should add up to a full one) lol. So a 2-barely a 1 is guaranteed for me, which is really bad, considering it's only STEP I. I hope I do better next year. Tbh I'm only doing all of this to guarantee an interview from Cambridge, I don't want to give them a chance to reject me before they've seen my abilities.
Reply 757
Original post by Gome44
Thanks :smile:. I was originally messing around f(x)/(1+f(x)) where f(x) was an inverse trig/hyperbolic function, but couldn't get anywhere with it :L

I will write the question plus solutions later tonight.
will use x=0, y=0, y'=1 It is a lot better.
Oh no as you can see maths (and physics) are a passion of mine, so I definitely want to go into research.

99/120 is really good! I don't think I've done that good in it, I answered 4 questions, the last one is a collection of partials (a few questions' marks that should add up to a full one) lol. So a 2-barely a 1 is guaranteed for me, which is really bad, considering it's only STEP I. I hope I do better next year. Tbh I'm only doing all of this to guarantee an interview from Cambridge, I don't want to give them a chance to reject me before they've seen my abilities.

Should definitely be a 1 surely? Cambridge give out a lot of interviews for maths, as long as you are predicted A*A*A they'll give you an interview as step is taken in june, unlike oxford, where the MAT is used to cut the number of applicants in half. I suppose you have an advantage in the fact you've done some uni maths which can make STEP questions easier, so you should be fine :smile:
Original post by Gome44
Should definitely be a 1 surely? Cambridge give out a lot of interviews for maths, as long as you are predicted A*A*A they'll give you an interview as step is taken in june, unlike oxford, where the MAT is used to cut the number of applicants in half. I suppose you have an advantage in the fact you've done some uni maths which can make STEP questions easier, so you should be fine :smile:

I hope so

Original post by TeeEm
I will write the question plus solutions later tonight.
will use x=0, y=0, y'=1 It is a lot better.

btw this is the updated "paper"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending