The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
I just got the update from track, I have an unconditional offer for Law after meeting the conditions!!! (I am an IB student so I got my results last week.) See you in October!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by rennys
I just got the update from track, I have an unconditional offer for Law after meeting the conditions!!! (I am an IB student so I got my results last week.) See you in October!!!

Congrats!
I was also confirmed for MChemistry.See you at the freshers'
Reply 982
Original post by trubadur
Congrats!
I was also confirmed for MChemistry.See you at the freshers'

Great! Congrats!
hey!
could someone explain how the application for accommodation at Durham works.
It's my insurance choice.
Reply 984
Original post by gr8dude
hey!
could someone explain how the application for accommodation at Durham works.
It's my insurance choice.

Everyone is guaranteed accommodation and when you get an offer you'll become part of a college. However, if Durham is your insurance, it's not guaranteed that it'll still be your college if you do end up going to Durham. (You might be allocated somewhere else)

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/process/

"Applicants who accept Durham University as their insurance choice or do not quite meet the conditions of their offer and are accepted as a 'near miss' applicant may be reallocated to a different college in August. However, wherever possible, applicants will be placed in the college that they were originally allocated to."
Reply 985
For any Maths offer holders, what sort of UMS average did you have from AS? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anyone tell me when freshers week is? also what events happen that week? such as sports fairs etc.
Original post by scottie b
Could anyone tell me when freshers week is? also what events happen that week? such as sports fairs etc.

I believe freshers' is the 5th October this year (Google Durham Term Dates and it'll be on the website), though arrival day will vary with college.

Daytimes will involve subject talks/sessions, and then things within colleges- we're planning a load of taster sessions for our college sports and societies. We have a mini fair for all the college societies. There's also the main freshers' fair with all the societies at the Uni, and a separate sports fair.

Matriculation takes up one day- ceremony in the cathedral, then probably one in your college too.

Evenings is mostly in college. There'll probably be themed evenings in the bar, fancy dress (optipnal but fun) with themed entertainment. This will vary between colleges though. Probably 1 or 2 organised nights out/bar crawls, though you're adults so you're free to go out more if you want to, or not go to the bar events (I think I'd advise going to the bar stuff though, tonnes of effort is put into the organisation, and you can actually meet people. Clubs remain after freshers', college stuff doesn't to the same degree). We also have a formal, every fresher goes to one of 2 we run, but that might not happen in every college. There should also be chilled alternatives, games and films and stuff so you can stay there all night or dip in and out- worth a visit so you can actually get to know people. They also often run more chilled nights out alongside the main ones. Chilled stuff in the daytime can be fun too! And tea and toast <3 Oh and possibly a JCR meeting one evening, and meeting with mentors &college families. Varies by college as to whether those are freshers' or first few weeks of term.

There's also usually the welcome ball one evening, the only real college wide event. Tickets cost money (at my college the rest of the freshers' events are free, again will vary by college) and there's usually entertainment, I think last year stuff like dodgems and Professor Green. I didn't go, some people did. Some liked it, some didn't. College will still organise events for that evening, but it won't be the Main Ones because they're aware of the clash.
Hi,

I have a conditional offer from Durham to study Primary Education. I have met all of my conditions and emailed everything to them. Do I now need to wait for it to be updated with UCAS or will Durham contact me by email also? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Reply 989
Original post by Crystaal11
Hi,

I have a conditional offer from Durham to study Primary Education. I have met all of my conditions and emailed everything to them. Do I now need to wait for it to be updated with UCAS or will Durham contact me by email also? Thanks

It took 2 weeks for UCAS to be updated after I got my results in early July (IB). Durham did not email anything about now having an unconditional offer, but I was told through UCAS that I needed to send a confirmation email to Durham, to say that I confirm my place at Durham. After about two weeks, they replied thanking me for confirming and telling me that I will be receiving more information soon.
Thank you. I forgot about needing to email to confirm my place. I will send that off now

Original post by Anny Smiles
I believe freshers' is the 5th October this year (Google Durham Term Dates and it'll be on the website), though arrival day will vary with college.

Daytimes will involve subject talks/sessions, and then things within colleges- we're planning a load of taster sessions for our college sports and societies. We have a mini fair for all the college societies. There's also the main freshers' fair with all the societies at the Uni, and a separate sports fair.

Matriculation takes up one day- ceremony in the cathedral, then probably one in your college too.

Evenings is mostly in college. There'll probably be themed evenings in the bar, fancy dress (optipnal but fun) with themed entertainment. This will vary between colleges though. Probably 1 or 2 organised nights out/bar crawls, though you're adults so you're free to go out more if you want to, or not go to the bar events (I think I'd advise going to the bar stuff though, tonnes of effort is put into the organisation, and you can actually meet people. Clubs remain after freshers', college stuff doesn't to the same degree). We also have a formal, every fresher goes to one of 2 we run, but that might not happen in every college. There should also be chilled alternatives, games and films and stuff so you can stay there all night or dip in and out- worth a visit so you can actually get to know people. They also often run more chilled nights out alongside the main ones. Chilled stuff in the daytime can be fun too! And tea and toast <3 Oh and possibly a JCR meeting one evening, and meeting with mentors &college families. Varies by college as to whether those are freshers' or first few weeks of term.

There's also usually the welcome ball one evening, the only real college wide event. Tickets cost money (at my college the rest of the freshers' events are free, again will vary by college) and there's usually entertainment, I think last year stuff like dodgems and Professor Green. I didn't go, some people did. Some liked it, some didn't. College will still organise events for that evening, but it won't be the Main Ones because they're aware of the clash.

Woah okay that was lots of information! ill be a postgraduate and start on the 16th of September, as i wont be a fresher i assume that the course would be different to what you said. My previous university didn't have a college system so it's pretty confusing!

how much roughly is it to join sports clubs as well?
Yaayay!

Just refreshing this thread. Sorted out all my enrolment/accommodation stuff today; booked my flight to Newcastle for 4th October.

About to buy gown/bedding as soon as I get my room confirmed.

Chads here I come!

Anyone else want to post??
Original post by game well and truly over
Yaayay!

Just refreshing this thread. Sorted out all my enrolment/accommodation stuff today; booked my flight to Newcastle for 4th October.

About to buy gown/bedding as soon as I get my room confirmed.

Chads here I come!

Anyone else want to post??

Lucky you!!! I still wait for accommodation decision at Cuths.Will do enrollment after that,
Original post by trubadur
Lucky you!!! I still wait for acc ommodation decision at Cuths.Will do enrollment after that,

I haven't had anything confirmed yet, but have sent all my details in.

Just waiting to have everything sorted out.

It is exciting to see times of events in Freshers week, time to buy gown/matriculation etc... the countdown begins!
I was just wondering whether any Collingwood people (or any other college, I'm not sure whether it's the same for everyone) know anything about the college charges. I'm a little confused as to whether they are compulsory or not, or whether opting out of some charges will mean you're excluded from certain events etc? Thanks in advance!
Don't know how to upload a photo for my campus card :frown:

So I guess I'll just queue when I arrive!
Original post by nutellaqe
I was just wondering whether any Collingwood people (or any other college, I'm not sure whether it's the same for everyone) know anything about the college charges. I'm a little confused as to whether they are compulsory or not, or whether opting out of some charges will mean you're excluded from certain events etc? Thanks in advance!

Which ones?
Original post by chizz1889
Which ones?

Any of them apart from the £120 which is compulsory?
Original post by nutellaqe

I'm a second year (though at Butler)- if you can tell me what they're called I can try to let you know whether they're compulsory! I imagine many will be the same as we paid.

Original post by game well and truly over
Don't know how to upload a photo for my campus card :frown:

So I guess I'll just queue when I arrive!

Have you got access to DUO yet? Last year they sent 2 emails, a username one day and a password the next. Then you can find the option to upload. If yiu still can't, though, it's not the end of the world. I submitted one (before he deadline!) but mysteriously wasn't in time and had to queue. Minor inconvenience and slightly embarrassing picture, but nothing horrendous.

Quick Reply

Latest