The Student Room Group

Will the real TeeEm please stand up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
they all work the same
I made 4 questions yesterday, some are harder.

expand
look for patterns to cancel
get a compact simplified answer
let it run to infinity

I see. Spotting the pattern is where i'm struggling (this trend follows for the majority of your questions, it's the spotting of the pattern which is my downfall). I got very frustrated trying to 'spot' the pattern earlier today. Annoying because it isn't necessarily hard and its not a case of learning a new technique, it seems you either see it or you don't. I can only hope that with experience I will become better at 'spotting the pattern'.
Reply 881
Original post by Gilo98
I see. Spotting the pattern is where i'm struggling (this trend follows for the majority of your questions, it's the spotting of the pattern which is my downfall). I got very frustrated trying to 'spot' the pattern earlier today. Annoying because it isn't necessarily hard and its not a case of learning a new technique, it seems you either see it or you don't. I can only hope that with experience I will become better at 'spotting the pattern'.

the reason you cannot see is how I wrote it
look at yesterday's question.
if you generate terms as it is you will not see it.
when rewritten in factorized form and generate terms it is not that hard to see.

same with today
you need to rewrite it nicer and then generate terms

these require algebraic/mathematical maturity... no knowledge
Original post by TeeEm
the reason you cannot see is how I wrote it
look at yesterday's question.
if you generate terms as it is you will not see it.
when rewritten in factorized form and generate terms it is not that hard to see.

same with today
you need to rewrite it nicer and then generate terms

That is the Q that really annoyed me. I changed it before generating terms. But changed it to a single fraction. Not two fractions like you did. I never thought to split up the fraction how you did. Which is obviously why i didnt spot the pattern.

I will try again with today's one....

Original post by TeeEm

these require algebraic/mathematical maturity... no knowledge

That's what I meant, and this is why it frustrates me...in normal A Level if you don't get the Q it will be down to a gap in knowledge which you can rectify on the spot. This is different. At last that is how I see it.
Reply 883
Original post by Gilo98
That is the Q that really annoyed me. I changed it before generating terms. But changed it to a single fraction. Not two fractions like you did. I never thought to split up the fraction how you did. Which is obviously why i didnt spot the pattern.

I will try again with today's one....

That's what I meant, and this is why it frustrates me...in normal A Level if you don't get the Q it will be down to a gap in knowledge which you can rectify on the spot. This is different. At last that is how I see it.

I wish somebody would tell me how these questions compare to AEA and STEP.
my intention is to be slightly easier (most of the time)
Original post by TeeEm

Both the normals and the Extras or just the Extras? I believe physicsmaths took STEP...
Reply 885
Original post by Gilo98
Both the normals and the Extras or just the Extras? I believe physicsmaths took STEP...

the normals are hard
the extras are even harder
these are not standard exam questions
gome44 is very good but he did not take STEP
Original post by TeeEm
the normals are hard
the extras are even harder
these are not standard exam questions
gome44 is very good but he did not take STEP

I need to remember that when I get frustrated over them....
Are these questions examples of the style of questions you will be making in the future? I know you've mentioned in the past about making questions for the very top end.
Reply 887
Original post by Gilo98
I need to remember that when I get frustrated over them....
Are these questions examples of the style of questions you will be making in the future? I know you've mentioned in the past about making questions for the very top end.

I am making these questions for my SPECIAL papers which I am about to start writing as soon as my holiday is over
Original post by TeeEm
I am making these questions for my SPECIAL papers which I am about to start writing as soon as my holiday is over

How quickly will you be making them? I think I will find them very useful.
Reply 889
Original post by Gilo98
How quickly will you be making them? I think I will find them very useful.

about 1 a week

it looks that they will contain 20 questions in three hours.
please be sure to let me know when the first goes live....i'd be interest to see how 20Qs in 3Hrs would feel.
Reply 891
Original post by Gilo98
please be sure to let me know when the first goes live....i'd be interest to see how 20Qs in 3Hrs would feel.

I will make an announcement but I will not post those here.
Original post by TeeEm
I will make an announcement but I will not post those here.

OK, I shall be on the look out for said announcement...
Original post by TeeEm

Yh same/harder then aea and easier then step.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
I do not blame you

I checked them today the best I could, but when you mass produce like I do, typos/mistakes are inevitable ...

Dw about typos, the question quality more than makes up for it :smile:
Reply 895
20 days to A level results

Question for Friday 24/07/15
A Level Maths Upwards

and for those who want that little bit extra,
AS level Maths level Upwards required
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
21 days to A level results

At the very start of the solution to Q24 (normal, not the EXTRA) you flipped the sign to a negative. Surely the denominator of the fraction needs to change to 2n22^n-2 or am I being stupid?
Reply 897
Original post by Gilo98
At the very start of the solution to Q24 (normal, not the EXTRA) you flipped the sign to a negative. Surely the denominator of the fraction needs to change to 2n22^n-2 or am I being stupid?

maybe you are right
I will check
Reply 898
Original post by Gilo98

Original post by TeeEm
maybe you are right
I will check

isn't what I did?
Original post by TeeEm
isn't what I did?

Unless I'm misreading....

the expression in the question is 1+122n1+\frac{1}{2-2^n}

but in the first line of your working you write

1122n1-\frac{1}{2-2^n}

which should surely in fact be

112n21-\frac{1}{2^n-2}

if so, it would only be a case of making a little change to the expression in the question.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending