The Student Room Group

9 UMS away from a A, worth a remark?

In AS maths (OCR) don't know if its worth remarking C2 and M1.

How many raw marks is 9 UMS equivalent to?

Many Thanks.
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's 5 marks or so. I was 8 ums away from an A in bio so I'm resitting a module just to be on the safe side and not waste my money if the mark doesn't change :smile:
Original post by Lularose83
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's 5 marks or so. I was 8 ums away from an A in bio so I'm resitting a module just to be on the safe side and not waste my money if the mark doesn't change :smile:

Hey! Congratulations on achieving a B though, that is awesome. Since I need 5 marks or so across two papers, do you think it's worth a remark.

Also, a lot of people are saying that OCR have messed there marking up this year so do you think it would be worth remarking in that sense?

Personally, I feel like my grade is not right whatsoever, but thats just me I guess.
I agree with you; my OCR bio unit 2 paper went really well (I thought) and I checked the unofficial mark schemes and my answers were almost identical yet my mark was far lower despite low grade boundaries . If you feel that your grade is not right, then I take back what I said previously, because it probably isn't! OCR seems really dodgy:frown: I'd go with the remark. :smile:
But in Maths, you either get the answer or you don't. I'm not sure if remarking will achieve anything tbh.
Almost all the answer were identical to the unofficial mark schemes, also, you can get marks for working out aswell even if it doesn't lead to the correct answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was 9 ums off a B in maths AS aswell. It's around 4/5 marks
If you don't think they've marked it incorrectly then save your money and don't get a remark because the marks may not go up.
Either resit one module as 4/5 marks are easy to attain or just work harder next year. Still capable of getting an A overall
Original post by mikaela_pascal

I'm a former OCR maths A Level examiner. Save your money.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M

Hey does OCR MEI have separate examiners to OCR maths? Thanks
Original post by Azula
Hey does OCR MEI have separate examiners to OCR maths? Thanks

Yes but they operate out of the same building.
Original post by Mr M

Hi there, even with the speculation about the 'guestimating'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've given you the benefit of my advice. If you want to ignore me, feel free.

How many raw marks is 9 UMS equivalent to?

Many Thanks.

I dunno, how much do you care about gambling a hundred quid or so?

If money is no concern, get it remarked.

I will alway regret not getting mine remarked. I was 6 marks off after sitting through 6 modules (I resat every module I could)
(edited 8 years ago)
In AS maths (OCR) don't know if its worth remarking C2 and M1..

Don't bother. The chance of picking up 9 marks on Maths units is tiny and it will be a waste of money.

How many raw marks is 9 UMS equivalent to?.

It depends on how many marks you have in each unit at the moment.

The press about 'guestimating' was for a small number of papers in 2014. It isn't relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest