The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by charlotte_3008
I got BBBB in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature this year. They were all decent Bs - do you think I've got a chance of getting at least A*AA for A2 by doing a few retakes and working harder?

- 4 UMS off an A in Maths
- 5 UMS off an A in English
- 10 UMS off an A in Biology
- 11 UMS off an A in Chemistry

Also, I had been planning of applying to Oxford but that seems unrealistic now unfortunately.

hey i want to know what you wanted to do at uni and whether you got in…. because my as results this year are a bit like yours.
Reply 701
Original post by house1760
Hi has anyone got into medicine with a/s grades of 3 B's in LAW,CHEMISTRY and BIOLOGY and an A level grade B in ENGLISH LITERATURE (course work predicted a but marked b hoping it can be remarked):confused:

hey, did you managed to get into medicine?
Reply 702
Original post by Chem_eng
Hey everyone,

I flopped my AS got BBBB in chem, bio, economics and maths. I wanted to study chemical engineering at Imperial.

Is it still possible?
Would resitting modules be a disadvantge?

Someone help me.

he i have taken the same subjects as you and got similar results at as, please tell me more about whether you got in because I really need advice
Hey, I was predicted AAAA ended up getting BBCC this year at AS, I took Bio (B), History (B), and then Chemistry and Maths were both C's.
I messed up one exam in Maths out of 3 otherwise I would have got a high B, and chem overall just went badly, I want to do something that will help me get into investment banking...
Not sure what to drop, What to do at Uni? Can I still get a place at a Uni like UCL?
Bearing in mind I'm pretty sure I will be predicted AAA-AAB?
Do Uni's look more at predicted than AS results? Sorry about so many questions, But any advice would be welcome. I also know I just need to work harder to achieve the grades.
Original post by Prince Quinton
Hey, I was predicted AAAA ended up getting BBCC this year at AS, I took Bio (B), History (B), and then Chemistry and Maths were both C's.
I messed up one exam in Maths out of 3 otherwise I would have got a high B, and chem overall just went badly, I want to do something that will help me get into investment banking...
Not sure what to drop, What to do at Uni? Can I still get a place at a Uni like UCL?
Bearing in mind I'm pretty sure I will be predicted AAA-AAB?
Do Uni's look more at predicted than AS results? Sorry about so many questions, But any advice would be welcome. I also know I just need to work harder to achieve the grades.

Universities do look at predicated grades more than AS but only if they are realistic. So, your prediction of AAA-AAB is inline with your grades of BBC whereas if you had several grades lower (mostly Cs and Ds) the university may find your teacher's prediction overly generous.

Universities such as UCL are not completely out of reach but you need to be firm with yourself and ensure you get the grades in A2 so that you don't miss the offer as UCL's offers will be a combination of A*-B. I would drop one of the subjects what you got a C in. Potentially Chemistry because maths may be more useful for the degree area you are interested in.

My advice would be to resit some units during A2, drop an AS where you got a C in and smash A2

Good luck and hope that's helpful :smile:
Original post by Mel1312
Universities do look at predicated grades more than AS but only if they are realistic. So, your prediction of AAA-AAB is inline with your grades of BBC whereas if you had several grades lower (mostly Cs and Ds) the university may find your teacher's prediction overly generous.

Universities such as UCL are not completely out of reach but you need to be firm with yourself and ensure you get the grades in A2 so that you don't miss the offer as UCL's offers will be a combination of A*-B. I would drop one of the subjects what you got a C in. Potentially Chemistry because maths may be more useful for the degree area you are interested in.

My advice would be to resit some units during A2, drop an AS where you got a C in and smash A2

Good luck and hope that's helpful :smile:

It is helpful thanks! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do that; drop chem, resit one maths exam (the one which brought me down to a c) and then with some hard work smash A2 ;P Thanksss
Went from AABBA* (Biology, Physics, Maths, Chemistry, EPQ respectively)

to A*AA (Biology, Maths, Physics respectively)

Not a MASSIVE jump I know, but it was big for me. Having AABB at AS really limited my chances at Oxbridge, but it was my fault for not working hard enough in year 12. I really pushed myself in year 13 and am very happy with my grades and will be reapplying and aiming high!
Original post by teen1234
ABBC at AS is psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively
Dropped the A in psychology for A2 and ended up getting A*A*A in maths bio chem.
First year wasnt too good since i thought i could doss around in lessons and still come out with A*s just like GCSE by getting out the textbook a week before the exam. Second year I paid attention in class and actually did homework, with a decent prep before the exams I raised my grades.
Pretty chuffed to go from BBC to A*A*A, it is possible.

EDIT - A little update. im going to be studying dentistry in september:biggrin:

well done!!! did u resit any exams??
One of my friends did maths, drama, ethics and history at AS and got UCDB and applied to do history at uni. She got an unconditional for leicester and still got ABB to get into Liverpool :biggrin:
Original post by teen1234
ABBC at AS is psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively
Dropped the A in psychology for A2 and ended up getting A*A*A in maths bio chem.
First year wasnt too good since i thought i could doss around in lessons and still come out with A*s just like GCSE by getting out the textbook a week before the exam. Second year I paid attention in class and actually did homework, with a decent prep before the exams I raised my grades.
Pretty chuffed to go from BBC to A*A*A, it is possible.

EDIT - A little update. im going to be studying dentistry in september:biggrin:

Wow!
I currently got BBCC (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics)
Does a C in General Studies affect anything?
Also how much extra work did you do, I'm fuming over my AS results and expected much better, should I start revising from December?
Original post by Punarnia_
Hey guys,

This probably sounds unbelievable but it's true
So in AS I took EPQ, Chemistry, Biology and English Language, and my respective grades were ACED (yeah I know, aced it right lol)
Then knowing I needed to get my **** together I spent the year doing lots of work experience, went to Royal Marsden Hospital, to Villiers Park in Cambridge for a Neuroscience short course, and I completed a Nuffield Research Placement with the University of Hertfordshire and got a gold award. I also completed a DofE gold award in this time.
I sat my A2s, resat all my AS exams and picked up Psychology AS , but I was only going to apply once I got my results because I knew I was destined for better universities than ones that would accept me with ACED.
I finished my A levels with AAAaa and last October I received an Unconditional Offer from University College London to read Neuroscience MSci.

So the essence of what I'm saying is, pull you sh*t together and you can achieve what ever you damn well please!!

Wowwwwww that's awesome!
Ugh can I get BBCC to A*A*Aa?
I am wondering if i can go from BCC at AS to BBB-AAB at A2
can someone go from ABB to A*AA?
Original post by nukethemaly
During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.

im doing the exact same got D E E in chem bio and psych! gonna retake AS alongside A2.
Any Tips as to how you got through it, because just thinking of 12 exams is very daunting????
Original post by chanda01
@Bethclancy Hi, did you apply with ABC? Or take out a gap year? I got BCCC which will hopefull go upto BBBC/ABBC after remarks..?

I applied with those grades, its usually best to just carry on as most Uni's are very understanding about AS, especially if you have high predicted grades or did well in GCSE. :smile:
Original post by studdybuddy101
Oh wow, when did u apply to Cambridge? After you got your A2 results in a gap year or something?

I didn't take a gap year, but won an essay competition at Cambridge and they encouraged me to apply despite my grades. I think if you look for opportunities, like essays and competitions at Unis you can open doors for yourself. :smile:
Sometimes it's also worth re-taking an AS my Spanish AQA Unit 1 went from a D to an A after I re-took and I did less revision in the one I got an A in LMAO. Honestly sometimes you can get so lucky with a nice paper and it's worth giving it a try as they always take in your highest grade!
I have received my AS results i got an E in psych a D in ICT and a B in Design tech, not the best i have to admit. i am unsure whether to resit psych or take another AS level instead and end up with IT,DT a level and wbq , but i was wondering as well if people done a lot better on the final A level year and if anyone knows if wbq counts as an A level with unis ??
Help would be really grateful as i need to choose my subjects for A2.
Original post by chanda01
I wanted to apply to KCL, Oxford, Manchester, Birmingham and maybe Queen Mary (all for Law). I got 9A*, 3A, 1B (one mark off an A) at GCSEs. Would you still encourage me to continue and apply everywhere I intend?

Yes, definitely, especially with those GCSE results. Nothing is ever certain when applying to any university but you can't lose anything by trying.Just work hard on your personal statement, prepare thoroughly for any interviews, spend time with mark schemes and write plenty practice essays for your retakes and A2s. If things don't go as planned you can always reapply, so be ambitious!
Reply 719
ACCC to AAA achievable with resits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest