The Student Room Group

Could I still get a good training contract with BBB?

Ive just got my a-level results and got BBB, I wanted to know if i still stand a chance of getting a good training contract with these grades, as I have good work experience and plan on getting more when i begin Uni.

Also I have had a severe visual impairment for 2 years which has impacted my results and meant that 2 of my papers I could only stay for around 10min. As well as other significant interruptions (which i wont go into)

Ive had work experience already with Allen and Overy, Pinsent Masons and HSBC and others.

So do i still have a chance for a good training contract especially if i put loads of work on my uni grades and experience? Thank you and any advice or guidance would be really appreciated :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
You can have a look at Chambers and see what firms have said their minimum requirements are. Some have ABB or higher as their minimum, which of course you wouldn’t qualify for but there are plenty which no longer have Alevel requirements, particularly following the issues with grading over the Covid19 period.

However, since you’ve also indicated that you had mitigating circumstances which explains your low grades, I don’t see why you couldn’t apply to any firm (even if you don’t meet their Alevel requirements) and try to explain in the application why your grades at Alevel were lower. The key for you now is to perform well at university - that’s the grade which holds the most weight.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Hey!

I think that you should emphasise that you have mitigating circumstances and that is what contributed to your A-levels. Also research firms that require AAB at A-levels or not and try to go for those ones. Try to also do well on your degree and get a 1st so that law firms could look at your academic journey as a whole and see the improvements you have made. Moreover, try to build a relationship with the law firms you are interested in by attending open days, law firm events and insight days where you interact with trainees to find out what the culture is like and whether the work the firm does appeals to you.

This could also help you later when you write vac scheme and TC apps as you have already interacted with the firms you want to apply to. To write successful applications make sure you write a great answer to why you want to pursue a career in commercial law and why you want to join that firm. Also be prepared for interviews by building your commercial awareness. For this, pick out stories that appeal to you and know them very well so that you can explain why this is relevant for the firm and its clients. Commercial Law Academy has course on commercial awareness and writing successful applications, which could help you in your process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending