The Student Room Group

Clearing

So given what grades I am expected and the requirements for my firm and insurance, I am unlikely to meet the offers. Whilst I hope there's a chance I might get in anyway I am planning for clearing.

So I have found many universities allow a from to be completed online that allow me to "register interest" in clearing, and they'll call me on results day if they have vacancies. I have found about 15 I would be happy to go to and ranked them, made a list of pros and cons so I am able to decide should any have any spaces. Is there anything more I can do to be prepared for results day? I am hoping, on the scale of probabilities I should at least get into somewhere, although I am told clearing is mostly unsuccessful for people.
Original post by nopey123
So given what grades I am expected and the requirements for my firm and insurance, I am unlikely to meet the offers. Whilst I hope there's a chance I might get in anyway I am planning for clearing.

So I have found many universities allow a from to be completed online that allow me to "register interest" in clearing, and they'll call me on results day if they have vacancies. I have found about 15 I would be happy to go to and ranked them, made a list of pros and cons so I am able to decide should any have any spaces. Is there anything more I can do to be prepared for results day? I am hoping, on the scale of probabilities I should at least get into somewhere, although I am told clearing is mostly unsuccessful for people.

hey there @nopey123!
Sounds like you're very much prepared for results day and you've done well by making a shortlist just incase. I'd also suggest that you look at a couple of accommodations for these universities as there may be ones that don't suit you or aren't in your budget. Obviously you can't apply for anything yet but it's always good to be prepared and have a look. I've heard many success stories from clearing and I think it's a myth that its unsuccessful for most people unless they have no A Levels to apply with, then I can see why it might end up that way. Universities are just giving away spare spaces on the courses they offer. There's no percentage success or non-success rate. Try not to worry too much about your results, you seem to have everything under control.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 2
Original post by hallamstudents
hey there @nopey123!
Sounds like you're very much prepared for results day and you've done well by making a shortlist just incase. I'd also suggest that you look at a couple of accommodations for these universities as there may be ones that don't suit you or aren't in your budget. Obviously you can't apply for anything yet but it's always good to be prepared and have a look. I've heard many success stories from clearing and I think it's a myth that its unsuccessful for most people unless they have no A Levels to apply with, then I can see why it might end up that way. Universities are just giving away spare spaces on the courses they offer. There's no percentage success or non-success rate. Try not to worry too much about your results, you seem to have everything under control.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Have to agree - people think Clearing is for those that failed and therefore think it's a bad place to be. It is for those that failed to get their first choices, but it's also for those that decided last minute to apply, didn't get any choices, changed their mind regarding their courses after using all their choices, who's home circumstances have changed, did better than expected... and I'm sure plenty of other reasons too.
Original post by nopey123

Hey @nopey123 :smile:

Wow, sounds like you're being really organised and getting yourself prepared!

Have another look at your pros and cons list, have you considered all factors such as location, course content, reputation, student satisfaction, accommodation, student life?

You could even start chatting to some of the current students at each uni, you can chat to students using unibuddy if that particular uni has it and it's a good way to find out what it's really like to study at that uni and your chance to ask any burning questions!

Seek advice and support: Consult with teachers, career advisors, or mentors who can provide guidance and support during this time. They can help you navigate the clearing process, provide valuable insights, and help you make informed decisions.

Stay optimistic, be prepared, and keep an open mind. Best of luck on results day! :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending