The Student Room Group

GCSE results

I just picked up my GCSE results. I just wanted to know if by uni standards they would be considered good? Thank you! (Oh and I'm thinking of retaking Spanish.)
Core science: A
Additional science: A
Music: A
Maths: B
Geography: A
History: A*
Spanish: C
English lang: A
English lit: A
Religion: A
Original post by lucyfran
I just picked up my GCSE results. I just wanted to know if by uni standards they would be considered good? Thank you! (Oh and I'm thinking of retaking Spanish.)

Yes. they're great grades you've got there, congratulations! Of course, other things like A levels (or whatever you take) and your PS, interview etc will matter more than GCSE grades. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Black Rose
Yes. they're great grades you've got there, congratulations! Of course, other things like A levels (or whatever you take) and your PS, interview etc will matter more than GCSE grades. :smile:

Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 3

Unless you plan on doing something Spanish related either at A level or uni, don't bother retaking it, it'll make no difference to anything...
Thank you very much! :smile:

It does also depend on where and what you would be applying for too, btw. :smile:

Like Oxbridge/Medicine/Dentistry etc:

"I don't think my grades are good enough for Oxbridge/Medicine/Veterinary/Dentistry!
Oxbridge
There is a higher emphasis on GCSE grades at Oxford than there is at Cambridge, where in the past, your average UMS at AS is much more important. Time will tell how Cambridge change their admissions after the A Level changes, but at the minute we don't know how this will work so keep your eyes peeled for more information from them. There are, however, no set GCSE entry grades at either, but most applicants tend to have multiple A* grades. If you need any further advice on this, then post on these threads:
Are my grades good enough for Oxford?
Are my grades good enough for Cambridge?

Medicine/Veterinary/Dentistry
While a lot of people think that to get into any of these courses, you need at least 8 A*s to stand a chance, this is completely not the case for most universities. Even if you didn't do as well as you hoped in your GCSEs, you still have a chance at getting into these.
Have a look at these links and make sure you check with your universities before applying in case any information is out of date:
Medical school GCSE requirements
Dentistry requirements
Veterinary requirements"

Taken from here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3479293
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest