The Student Room Group

The story of the man who graduated with a 2:2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheMaster102
It is ruined in the sense I can't do what I wanted to do, so in a way it is ruined right? If you see your future as a specific state wherein you have A and B or C etc and you find out that now that is blocked and you will never achieve what you wanted, the opportunity is ruined for you.

Anyone who graduates with a Desmond will know exactly what I mean, it's honestly horrible, If you get a desmond and you party and don't really try that's one thing, but getting a desmond after so much hard work, so much harder than your peers and under-performing them, not because you're lazy or incapable but just because of bad circumstances, having your appeal to your university rejected, seeing "minimum 2:1 requirement" for entry into EVERYTHING I'm interested in, be it graduate jobs or masters for unis I like, it really gets you down.

I honestly am so depressed I really do feel like my life is ruined, might seem melodramatic, but in a way it is, and I know that. I wasted 4 years of my life for a degree that wont get me anywhere, and that I'm embarrassed to have on my CV because it implies I'm terrible at my subject, when actually I was one of the best in my final year.

It sucks :/

Honestly, you're over reacting. This past year was my second year and I also had personal and health problems ( my father passed away one week after the beginning of school, and then I got severe mononucleosis which prevented me from going to uni for 2 months) but I worked as hard as I possibly could and I got good grades and even though I didn't get good enough ones to get in the MA I want next year, it's not the end of my life !! I'll go to another university, at the end of the day your studies are not going to determine your happiness, you can still apply somewhere. I think you're just being stubborn. There's much more important things in life, like good health and people you love.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by veni_vidi_vasi
Does Computer Science teach you how to code? (Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is not my sort of area). Can you do freelance coding for websites or something? Someone with your skills may be needed by someone who doesn't care about your class of degree.

Yeah I know but that doesn't take away from the fact that I've spent so much money and might as well not have gone to university, it's so horrendous I can't even begin to explain how it feels.

Getting a job wont be hard because I can program, and I can program really well, I've made and sold commercial software before,

what upsets me so much is the stigma that comes with the 2:2 and the fact I was 1% off, my appeal was rejected and tons and tons of other things that make me just want to jump off a cliff
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Join the club, pal. It's not so bad, we have party rings.

and a job

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(edited 8 years ago)
I worked my ass off, I worked harder than anyone I knew. I was getting 2:1s and firsts all year. The reason I got a desmond was because in my 2nd year I had a mental breakdown and personal issues which got me a 3rd, part of why I worked so hard in final year was so I could get a 2:1 despite this.

I was 1% off.

"you didn't work hard enough"

People like you literally make me want to jump off a bridge. This is exactly why I feel so ****ty about it, everyone who sees my grade is just going to see that I was a failure and not see my struggle, or my achievements in my final year. God I am so down about this, sucks so bad.

Excuses. I have seen this on this forum many times. People always blame their bad results on stuff like anxiety, personal life and depression.
You have a degree something that a lot of people in this country don't have and yet here you are crying. Its unfortunate that that you couldn't get into a russel group Uni but maybe you should try phoning up and see if any of them would make a exception. You may think a 2:2 will make it hard to find a reasonable job in life well thats not the case there many graduates who are struggling to find a job even with a 2:1 degree.
Original post by driftawaay
And she struggled to feed herself and her daughter for years afterwards.

What did you achieve by posting that except make the OP feel even worse? My point, the point that flew over your head, was she eventually made a success out of herself. The OP is obviously numerate so he has options.
Also there's no way to overwrite a 2:2, you can do a masters, but you will still have the 2:2 stain, and for some reason people will still berate you for it your whole life, even if you have a masters and a PHD!!

it's like this grade has just ****ed my life up completely I'm so angry and annoyed, especially because I was so close, I've even thought of doing another BSc. I am smart, capable and all of that I just had some really bad luck and mental problems in 2nd year, but was too absorbed in them to seek help, I really wish I did at the time because that would've given my appeal some weight, but I don't have any except my word, and my appeal was rejected, the 2:2 is final.
Desmond got a Tutu
Make sure you don't!

If I'd have known how ****ty it would be I would've locked myself in my room, broken up with my girlfriend, barely eaten and studied every day of my waking life to escape the nightmare I'm in now.
It's not doss, but I'm sorry the workload was nothing compared to what I had, literally nothing. I'm not going to say anything about the subject or get into a debate about that but I'm sorry I lived with this girl, I saw what work she had to do and it was nothing compared to the amounts we had to do.

I shouldn't even really mention it though because I shouldn't be bitter others have achieved well and I haven't in a way it's hard to help it, but I think a lot of my anger is at my department who really gave us too much work and weren't very good at all, in fact my department was shut down this year too so that goes to show.

we had a 20k report, 20k!!! think about that for a minute. on TOP of that we had to create software, I'm not sure if you've ever tried that but it's no walk in the park.

But it doesn't mean **** that I got a first in both the report and the software, I got a 2:2 overall, I'm an idiot, a failure, lazy, my CV will be automatically filtered out and binned and no one will hire me.

Stop comparing yourself. Stop trying to put someone else's achievements down to make yourself feel better. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Take that how you will but believe me, your life will improve if you heed that advice. You will drive yourself insane with 'if's' and 'but's' and 'why me'? Hear this: life is unfair. ****ty people get nice things and good people get screwed. Welcome to being an adult and realizing this. Feeling sorry for yourself won't change that. No one will make your life better for you out of pity. No one can change you life except you.

Pick yourself up and move forward instead of dwelling on the past. You got 2.2, okay, fine - draw a line and move on - moping about it won't get you anywhere. If you want something, set your sights on it and find a way to achieve it.

I graduated 3 years ago with a 2.1 and I've spent the subsequent 3 years in min wage jobs and on the dole. Up until 3 weeks ago I'd been unemployed for 8 months.

Now I work and volunteer and I'm doing an access course to do a second degree in healthcare. Your life isn't over - it's just going to be difficult to turn it around but difficult is not impossible. Most people give up and just end up in retail forever after getting a 2.2 or a 2.1 in a subject which has zero employ ability outside of academia (i.e mine).

It takes utter determination, resilience and defiance in the face of constant rejection to claw back and turn things around - that's why most people never do. It's hard and you have to start again from the bottom (look at me - I'm studying level THREE even though my degree is level SIX and I'm working in an entry level role just demonstrate interest and save for uni) but if it gets you where you need to be then so what - you just stay focused and **** what anyone thinks.

It all depends how much mettle you have and whether you're willing to start all over again. Right now, you sound defeated. You need to get rid of that defeatist attitude and get your **** together now. I don't care how cheesy this sounds - my avatar is Maximus from Gladiator for a reason, watch that movie and be inspired. I was about to just give up entirely until I watched that movie last year - I was unemployed, no money, no job, no career plan, no hope - nothing. Now I have a job, money, a car, a career plan, hope and my life is improving.

DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR YOURSELF. It will be your downfall.
Also there's no way to overwrite a 2:2, you can do a masters, but you will still have the 2:2 stain, and for some reason people will still berate you for it your whole life, even if you have a masters and a PHD!!

it's like this grade has just ****ed my life up completely I'm so angry and annoyed, especially because I was so close, I've even thought of doing another BSc. I am smart, capable and all of that I just had some really bad luck and mental problems in 2nd year, but was too absorbed in them to seek help, I really wish I did at the time because that would've given my appeal some weight, but I don't have any except my word, and my appeal was rejected, the 2:2 is final.

Is there any way you can retake the year?
Which University did you attend?
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Stop comparing yourself. Stop trying to put someone else's achievements down to make yourself feel better. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Take that how you will but believe me, your life will improve if you heed that advice. You will drive yourself insane with 'if's' and 'but's' and 'why me'? Hear this: life is unfair. ****ty people get nice things and good people get screwed. Welcome to being an adult and realizing this. Feeling sorry for yourself won't change that. No one will make your life better for you out of pity. No one can change you life except you.

Pick yourself up and move forward instead of dwelling on the past. You got 2.2, okay, fine - draw a line and move on - moping about it won't get you anywhere. If you want something, set your sights on it and find a way to achieve it.

I graduated 3 years ago with a 2.1 and I've spent the subsequent 3 years in min wage jobs and on the dole. Up until 3 weeks ago I'd been unemployed for 8 months.

Now I work and volunteer and I'm doing an access course to do a second degree in healthcare. Your life isn't over - it's just going to be difficult to turn it around but difficult is not impossible. Most people give up and just end up in retail forever after getting a 2.2 or a 2.1 in a subject which has zero employ ability outside of academia (i.e mine).

It takes utter determination, resilience and defiance in the face of constant rejection to claw back and turn things around - that's why most people never do. It's hard and you have to start again from the bottom (look at me - I'm studying level THREE even though my degree is level SIX and I'm working in an entry level role just demonstrate interest and save for uni) but if it gets you where you need to be then so what - you just stay focused and **** what anyone thinks.

It all depends how much mettle you have and whether you're willing to start all over again. Right now, you sound defeated. You need to get rid of that defeatist attitude and get your **** together now. I don't care how cheesy this sounds - my avatar is Maximus from Gladiator for a reason, watch that movie and be inspired. I was about to just give up entirely until I watched that movie last year - I was unemployed, no money, no job, no career plan, no hope - nothing. Now I have a job, money, a car, a career plan, hope and my life is improving.

DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR YOURSELF. It will be your downfall.

I expect to read that line in your future best selling self help book. :colonhash:

I too find inspiration from films, video games and fictional books characters.

@OP

You're degree, even with a 2:2, is more employable than a lot of first and 2:1 degrees in other subjects. I would kill to be talented at coding. I would love to get involved in the small scale indie video game scene.
(edited 8 years ago)
Self pity is not the answer. Now is the time for quick action and to be on your feet. Search for apprenticeship schemes to get into, have a look at the civil service, army, navy etc. You may be down but you're not out.
Original post by CA$H KRAZE
Is there any way you can retake the year?
Which University did you attend?

I don't wanna disclose my uni because I'm actually so ashamed of my grade I'm worried people will know who I am, haha. It's a top 20 uni, mid tier really. My appeal states that the university will not allow me to retake the year, have remarks, or anything. I am to have to settle for my grades, or complain to an independent body, which I will because I don't think I got my moneys worth, even if I got a 2:1.

My department was shut down because of poor performance among other things, high student complaints etc.

I hate making excuses and hiding behind personal problems but really the only reason I got a 2:2 was because I was very unfortunate, I am capable and definitely very good at my subject, something unfortunately my grade doesn't show.

I want to do a masters now, maybe if I get a distinction in that it will silence anyone who questions my Academic viability, even with this god forsaken 2:2
Original post by CA$H KRAZE
Desmond got a Tutu

Someone give this man a beer for God's sake!

:five:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I expect to read that line in your future best selling self help book. :colonhash:

I too find inspiration from films, video games and fictional books characters.

@OP

You're degree, even with a 2:2, is more employable than a lot of first and 2:1 degrees in other subjects. I would kill to be talented at coding. I would love to get involved in the small scale indie video game scene.

Haha, yeah - I might just put Maximus on the cover. Or myself in armor with a sword :lol:. Not really, but that movie genuinely was a turning point for me.

Original post by marco14196
Self pity is not the answer. Now is the time for quick action and to be on your feet. Search for apprenticeship schemes to get into, have a look at the civil service, army, navy etc. You may be down but you're not out.

Agree with your overall point but just a note: you cannot do an apprenticeship if you have a degree.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Haha, yeah - I might just put Maximus on the cover. Or myself in armor with a sword :lol:. Not really, but that movie genuinely was a turning point for me.

Agree with your overall point but just a note: you cannot do an apprenticeship if you have a degree.

Ah....I forgot about that one. A more difficult position that presents for OP.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't wanna disclose my uni because I'm actually so ashamed of my grade I'm worried people will know who I am, haha. It's a top 20 uni, mid tier really. My appeal states that the university will not allow me to retake the year, have remarks, or anything. I am to have to settle for my grades, or complain to an independent body, which I will because I don't think I got my moneys worth, even if I got a 2:1.

My department was shut down because of poor performance among other things, high student complaints etc.

I hate making excuses and hiding behind personal problems but really the only reason I got a 2:2 was because I was very unfortunate, I am capable and definitely very good at my subject, something unfortunately my grade doesn't show.

I want to do a masters now, maybe if I get a distinction in that it will silence anyone who questions my Academic viability, even with this god forsaken 2:2

Oh mann, I really hope I'm not going to be starting at this Uni in September. The department and Uni as a whole seem unsupportive of students. I think you should expose them :colone:
Original post by driftawaay
And she struggled to feed herself and her daughter for years afterwards.

Women have udders so her daughter was fed.
feelsbadpepememe.jpeg
Original post by thatgr
feelsbadpepememe.jpeg

pfft .jpeg.... smh... put it in paint, go save as and type .pepe... do u know nothing...

Quick Reply

Latest