The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 (8700/1) - Monday 5th June [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 exam go?

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 (8700/1) - Monday 5th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: Monday 5th June 2023 / AM
Length: 1h 45m

Resources
AQA GCSE English Language

Congratulations on finishing your exam!
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
does any1 have any tips for getting a 7 in language
Original post by Gw.arz

in my last mock i got a 7 (which was only a 5 in previous mocks)
what i did was watching youtube videos. i personally used mr everything english and watched his videos on every question and made notes as i watched as well as writing the example paragraph. make sure you know language and structure devices and can pick them out in a text and do practice :smile:
hope this helps
Original post by Gw.arz

Hey, i've been getting a grade 7 in my mocks and it's my predicted grade what i would say is for the language questions or structure questions really run with something if you can and don't be afraid to in the actual exam, of course be conscience of your time but remember that the examiners are searching for things they can give you marks for so just write it all down; they'll find marks somewhere. For paper 1 Q5, i have a pre planned story and always re-model it around whatever picture i'm given.
Reply 4
i struggle a lot with identifying language devices. any advice?
Reply 5
Original post by acolourfulhuman
in my last mock i got a 7 (which was only a 5 in previous mocks)
what i did was watching youtube videos. i personally used mr everything english and watched his videos on every question and made notes as i watched as well as writing the example paragraph. make sure you know language and structure devices and can pick them out in a text and do practice :smile:
hope this helps

Sn, I been watching his yt vids aswell along with Mr Salles but i still dk im got a 5 in my last mocks
Reply 6
Original post by libbieb
Hey, i've been getting a grade 7 in my mocks and it's my predicted grade what i would say is for the language questions or structure questions really run with something if you can and don't be afraid to in the actual exam, of course be conscience of your time but remember that the examiners are searching for things they can give you marks for so just write it all down; they'll find marks somewhere. For paper 1 Q5, i have a pre planned story and always re-model it around whatever picture i'm given.

Ohhh... yh klm I'll do that. That's solid
Reply 7
Can you use pre planned stories this year? I thought you cannot
Reply 8
Original post by cool02
Can you use pre planned stories this year? I thought you cannot

you can. just that if you're writing something that doesn't really fit with the prompt then the examiner will notice and if you're writing the same thing as 30,000 people, then the examiner will likely notice
Reply 9
Ayo guys, can I get advice of how to link back to my point in a paragraph in English Language?
Original post by Gw.arz
Ayo guys, can I get advice of how to link back to my point in a paragraph in English Language?

for example;
How does the writer describe flamingos from lines 9-17?
just rephrase the question and write like "therefore it is clear that the writer described the flamingos as pink, cute, funny and talented BECAUSE/AS they they are able to stand on one leg, move in random ways that is funny and have small heads which makes them cute"
( just give more details/explain more and show how you got the idea that the thing it is asking you (flamingos in this scenario) described that way.
rephrasing the question in your point and link also makes it easier to answer the question and shows the examiner you are directly answering the question
hope this helps :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by acolourfulhuman
for example;
How does the writer describe flamingos from lines 9-17?
just rephrase the question and write like "therefore it is clear that the writer described the flamingos as pink, cute, funny and talented BECAUSE/AS they they are able to stand on one leg, move in random ways that is funny and have small heads which makes them cute"
( just give more details/explain more and show how you got the idea that the thing it is asking you (flamingos in this scenario) described that way.
rephrasing the question in your point and link also makes it easier to answer the question and shows the examiner you are directly answering the question
hope this helps :smile:

Ight snm, thx
Reply 12
Original post by snowypaul
you can. just that if you're writing something that doesn't really fit with the prompt then the examiner will notice and if you're writing the same thing as 30,000 people, then the examiner will likely notice

So for example can you not use the priest story by mr everything english cause alot of people will use it
Reply 13
Original post by cool02
So for example can you not use the priest story by mr everything english cause alot of people will use it

like i said, you are allowed to use that story - nobody is stopping you. All I'm saying is that the examiner will notice that you've written the same thing as thousands of others so you may want to keep that in mind
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
I started writing this creative writing from a prompt about a child in a playground attempting to make new friends.

Lunchtime. 1pm. A torrent of rain mercilessly spat and infiltrated through my shoes as I tapped my foot anxiously, an uncontrolled rhythm which accompanied the crescendoing drum of my heart. My feet made ripples in the water, slow pulses which extended towards the other side of the concrete playground, yet were lost after a few metres.

I was alone.

Yet as the first bell chimed sonorously, the first sounds of laughter and joy echoed around the playground, a euphonic symphony of delight and satisfaction. The unknown faces appeared in bubbles, circles of warmth and comfort which provided solace against the bitter rainfall. I sat on a lone bench on the outskirts of companionship. My fingers clenched and released the handle of my lunchbox repeatedly, with the metal hinge rattling against my touch uncontrollably.

I had to approach someone, or else I would forever be ostracised, labelled an outsider, utterly excluded from friendship.

Any advice on how to improve would be extremely helpful; I'm predicted a grade 9 in english language but I feel that creative writing is definitely my weak point. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by snowypaul
like i said, you are allowed to use that story - nobody is stopping you. All I'm saying is that the examiner will notice that you've written the same thing as thousands of others so you may want to keep that in mind

Ahh okay but you wont get disqualified no ?
Reply 16
Hi

I would be so grateful if someone could read my creative writing and give me a mark out of 24 for content and organisation, and a mark out of 16 for accuracy of language and ambitious vocabulary. This will be so helpful to me so please help me out!!

Thank you so much!!

Although the half-open gates are tempting, something residing in the cat softly tells her to reconsider her decision to enter the arena of blackness the arena of uncertainty. Negligence radiates off her: chunks of obsidian, shaggy fur is attached haphazardly upon her body, as if by a creature who only vaguely had an understanding of the appearance of a cat, and it partly obscures her wide, intrigued eyes. Her raw, pink skin is visible in between gaps her hair barely covers her while her paws are barely perceptible from under the mountains of dirt that has accumulated on her legs, as she has spent decades on the corners of streets.

She flinches and gazes up as fragments of rock and sickening green moss cascade down, blinding her pensive, lurid, yellow eyes. The stone arch itself is visible cracking, forming ominous patterns like those found in scorching, drought-hit countries. Indeed, the whole place thirsts for pure, life-giving water. A pair of gargantuan wrought-iron gates are feebly attached to the disintegrating arch, but the gates themselves are strong formidable, even as they creek heavily in a chilling, welcoming call…

Why do I feel like turning back?

Overcome by a sudden, pulling force, she bounds into the confines of the mysterious grounds and immediately ascends the nearest tree, scurrying like a miniscule creature fleeing from a vicious predator. However, once she reaches halfway, her sharp, angular ears twitch as they adjust to an unfamiliar, screeching sound. Frozen, she glances down and becomes hyperaware of the tree gently, but almost resolutely, swaying. The tips of the branches are like thorns, twisted expertly in the shape of spears, and she notices they are thin enough to slice through her, with a disturbing sense of recognition that promptly sends spasms down her curved spine.

Why do I feel like turning back?

Whiskers tingling, hair rising on end, paws tensing for flight, she takes a long, calming, refreshing breath, only that he nostrils are permeated with an ancient, musky smell. The malodorous odor appears to originate from the leaves themselves: they are degrading, dead, decomposing, mirroring her own mind’s sensations. Realisation dawns as the cat begins to understand why she was warned not to set foot behind these walls, but an opaque cloud of mist overpowers her vision overwhelms her thoughts and her warm eyes blank. To her, the mist, with a preternatural heir, call out to her; it summons her to the deeper depths of these mysterious grounds.

The swiftly moving shadows of mist are tempting, but this time, nothing resides in her to softly tell her to reconsider her decision to enter the arena of blackness the arena of uncertainty.

Why do I feel curious?
Reply 17
I'm attempting to work on some past papers. My question is... what if the points in my answer do not correspond to the mark schemes? Will I get a low grade even though my answer was good?
I need a lot of help on paper 1 q5!!! I am practicing writing a response to a question but sometimes my mind goes blank especially in an exam. Any ideas on what I can do to stop this from happening because on Monday, in the exam I want lots of ideas in my mind, ofc I want lots of language features, structural features, vocabulary and punctuation. I really want a 6 but I don't feel like I'm going to get it. Btw can someone give me some examples of long and short sentences bc I'm confused
Original post by tahminar0001
I need a lot of help on paper 1 q5!!! I am practicing writing a response to a question but sometimes my mind goes blank especially in an exam. Any ideas on what I can do to stop this from happening because on Monday, in the exam I want lots of ideas in my mind, ofc I want lots of language features, structural features, vocabulary and punctuation. I really want a 6 but I don't feel like I'm going to get it. Btw can someone give me some examples of long and short sentences bc I'm confused

Can someone mark what I have written for a question.

write a story about a new beginning.

Bored - all I feel is bored. Sitting here, lackadaisical as a couch, is hurting my miniscule, fragile body. I have been placed here for what feels like a gazillion years; yet still no one wants me. Why? Why is this happening to me? Being back her, in the dirty, dusty shelf, made me want to scrunch up into a ball and roll off to go find a home. My feelings are invalid to anyone and everyone. Why?

However, out of nowhere, I jump to the top of my lungs, as a tall, rather skinny man comes along, whilst wearing a brown, chestnut Amazon uniform. Lunging toward the back of the shelf, I am grabbed like a piece of meat, as he is holding me. My euphoric smile came out. The melancholy atmosphere is fading: I am finally chosen!

I am a baby that the man is carrying joyously.

After clutching me, I am placed in the wooden table and a woman comes along. She pampers me up by, cleaning me, polishing me, fixing me up. I feel like an authoritative businesswoman at a spa! Finally, I am chucked carefully into a precious cardboard box; the tape closed me, not being able to see my jovial face. Wondering where I 'm travelling to, my eyes lit up luminously, as I have never felt so jubilant.

Above me, the delivery man allocated me a special spot towards the front of the gargantuan van. Then, he slams the doors of the van shut, whilst I am in there; the sweltering atmosphere causes me to sweat incessantly. The blazing box irritates me, making my feelings see indignant.

All of a sudden, the driver starts pushing the brakes of the van, until...

Strangely, the voice of another man echoed in my ear (my mind went paradoxical). ''The customer cancelled the order of the box at the front.'' Thoughts racing agile in my mind, my face drooping miserably, and the abhorrent news hits me with a world of pain. Questions arising inside of me- Why did this happen? Why? Why? Why?

Agonizingly, the delivery man threw me back to the back of the isolated shelf. Boredom awaits...
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending