The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by SmashConcept
OP is mature for her age guys FFS.

I recall people telling me I was mature for my age too. Isn't this just a special way of trying to make people act mature using labelling theory?
It's similar to the poor kid at school that got bullied all of the time and called a gay and puff. Eventually, because he gets called it so much, he starts to believe it, acts that way and eventually becomes.

Same with calling the scouse kid a car thief. Call him it enough times and thsts what he becomes.

I don't care what anyone says, no one is mature at 16. My sister left school with 14 a* - b 16 years ago. People thought she was mature until she went and set herself on fire whilst excessively drunk at a BBQ by pouring petrol on the BBQ. Dead mature that even though she was told by everyone the same.
Reply 121
Original post by TheTechN1304
Tbh he is basically a paedophile. To him, there is probably no difference between a 13 year old and a 16 year old. That is pretty sick.

Three years? Or are you saying he can't work out the difference because it's been that long since he did maths?
Original post by ExRN
I recall people telling me I was mature for my age too. Isn't this just a special way of trying to make people act mature using labelling theory?
It's similar to the poor kid at school that got bullied all of the time and called a gay and puff. Eventually, because he gets called it so much, he starts to believe it, acts that way and eventually becomes.

Same with calling the scouse kid a car thief. Call him it enough times and thsts what he becomes.

I don't care what anyone says, no one is mature at 16. My sister left school with 14 a* - b 16 years ago. People thought she was mature until she went and set herself on fire whilst excessively drunk at a BBQ by pouring petrol on the BBQ. Dead mature that even though she was told by everyone the same.

I dunno mate, any time a 16 year old girl says she is mature for her age my overriding instinct is to believe her.

Even her therapist and policeman friends say she's mature. The only adult who doesn't think this relationship is a good idea is her mum who probably just DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HER.
Reply 123
Original post by SmashConcept
I dunno mate, any time a 16 year old girl says she is mature for her age my overriding instinct is to believe her.

Even her therapist and policeman friends say she's mature. The only adult who doesn't think this relationship is a good idea is her mum who probably just DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HER.

You have to help me out a little here. I don't do sarcasm very well. Is that what it is? :-/ do 16 year olds tend to have friends that are police officers? They join at 18 and 1/2 , train at hendon for a number of months and then return to take up post which, in my conservative estimate, would make them 19 plus minimum!! When I was 16 I didn't know many people that were that age. I think a lot of what has been said here has been put in order to self justify an action. Im not calling the girl a liar, but when we want something so badly, the mind will believe what it wants in order to justify to yourself that what you are doing is right.

In addition, mums are right 99% of the time. Even at 29 I still clarify things with my mum before any other person if I think something is a miss. Mums do tend to have that inner wisdom like Yoda. ----- even though that sounds soft as...... It's fact!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by binkierose
Will be more than happy to post some background info on us both too - how we met, etc.

Seriously though, ask me anything(:

Do you not question why he, as a 36 year old, is comfortable being with a 16 year old rather than someone with his level of maturity / life experience
Original post by ExRN
Three years? Or are you saying he can't work out the difference because it's been that long since he did maths?

Three years is nothing when you're 20 years older than them...
Reply 126
Original post by binkierose
Will be more than happy to post some background info on us both too - how we met, etc.

Seriously though, ask me anything(:

What does this guy's friends think of this arrangement?
Reply 127
Original post by abc:)
Do you not question why he, as a 36 year old, is comfortable being with a 16 year old rather than someone with his level of maturity / life experience

I mentioned that earlier. Unable to connect on all levels with same age? So could that be classed as a developmental disorder maybe? Im not joking here but what would he talk to her about? "Do you want me to take you to the under 18s night at the nightclub and pick you up again before 10pm?"
They clearly can't be going out around pubs togethwr. When she's 18 she will want to do the whole clubbing thing I'm guessing like the average teenagers does. Is he going to be interested in going raving at 38 Yeats old to see hixxy, dougal and gammer? (I know, im oldish myself) but I don't think he will
Original post by ExRN
You have to help me out a little here. I don't do sarcasm very well. Is that what it is? :-/ do 16 year olds tend to have friends that are police officers? They join at 18 and 1/2 , train at hendon for a number of months and then return to take up post which, in my conservative estimate, would make them 19 plus minimum!! When I was 16 I didn't know many people that were that age. I think a lot of what has been said here has been put in order to self justify an action. Im not calling the girl a liar, but when we want something so badly, the mind will believe what it wants in order to justify to yourself that what you are doing is right.

In addition, mums are right 99% of the time. Even at 29 I still clarify things with my mum before any other person if I think something is a miss. Mums do tend to have that inner wisdom like Yoda. ----- even though that sounds soft as...... It's fact!

He's being sarcastic m8 XD
This is SO SO wrong. I really hope it's a troll thread.
You're not even 18 yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gl hf
Reply 132
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
This is SO SO wrong. I really hope it's a troll thread.

If it is I will be pissed. Ive put a lot of concious thought into reply in this thread. It wouldn't be fake would it? You wouldn't advertise the fact you are with an older man and create such an elaborate back story to wind people up would they?
Reply 133
Original post by RainbowKiwi
He's being sarcastic m8 XD

Thank you. :-)
Original post by ExRN
If it is I will be pissed. Ive put a lot of concious thought into reply in this thread. It wouldn't be fake would it? You wouldn't advertise the fact you are with an older man and create such an elaborate back story to wind people up would they?

That's exactly what someone would do.
People are outraged/dumbfounded now but I bet in the next 15 years this kind of relationship will be perfectly normal.
Years ago this is how people felt about gay and interracial couples. Everyone thought it was taboo back then but now it's general consensus that those relationships are perfectly normal.
Original post by hilrho
I'm 18 and my ex was 24. I broke up with him because of his immaturity. So yeah it is possible to be incredibly mature when you're 18.

Haha I'd like to know as well.

I'm not trying to take shots personally, but just because he was immature doesn't mean you're "incredibly mature", for all we know you're also immature but just to a lesser degree :tongue:

My point wasn't that 18 year olds can't be immature, but that just because you turn legal or whatever at midnight (we all know the shenanigans we get up to once we hit it) doesn't necessarily mean we suddenly take that mental step to maturity
Original post by alexschmalex
I'm not trying to take shots personally, but just because he was immature doesn't mean you're "incredibly mature", for all we know you're also immature but just to a lesser degree :tongue:

My point wasn't that 18 year olds can't be immature, but that just because you turn legal or whatever at midnight (we all know the shenanigans we get up to once we hit it) doesn't necessarily mean we suddenly take that mental step to maturity

Cant say I don't agree.

But no seriously I'm too mature for my age, sometimes I feel like I'm 90. Even my grandma has more fun than me and she is ancient!
A relationship like this isn't going to last long.

He's either going to use you and dump you or you will cheat with somebody more younger than him.

You are 16 years old, still in education.

You're wasting your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;wQ0wKv5CPtA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ0wKv5CPtA[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest