The Student Room Group

How Hard Is A Level Geography (Aqa/Edexcel)

Question is in the title: how hard is A Level Geography

Name your exam board, tell me your GCSE and A level grades and tell me your experience with the A Level units please :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schu98

Name your exam board, tell me your GCSE and A level grades and tell me your experience with the A Level units please :smile:

GCSE : AQA - A*
AS Level : AQA - A

I have just finished AS Geography.

There is a lot of content to learn! It was very time consuming however the content is not hard. I did bio chem and geology aswell but geography was defiantly my easiest. If you enjoy geography than take it ! :smile: Its a nice a level to do!
GCSE: Edexcel - A*
AS Level: Edexcel - A

I love geography, I'm hoping to take it at university. Although there is a lot of content and learning involved - the course itself is rewarding, interesting and current. The one thing about Edexcel that is important to learn from the start is timing - the exam is a mark a minute and can take practice to ensure time to go back and check essays ect.
Good luck
AQA GSCE: A*
AQA AS: A

I really enjoyed geography at A Level, even more so than GSCE. The physical topics were the usual rivers and coasts but for the human aspect we got to study different, more modern topics including health. There is a lot of content to learn but only a few case studies which is a relief (not like the 20+ I had to learn for GCSE with only one actually coming up in the exam!) If you put the effort it it's quite easy to do well in this subject too. I also feel like it allows you to understand the world around you more than other subjects too (cheesy :wink: ) especially in human geography.
GCSE - grade A
AS (2014) - grade C
AS (2015 retake) - grade A
A2 - grade A

Overall A-level grade - A, exam board was entirely Edexcel :smile: there's a shed load of content to learn but it covers everything there is to know in geography. You have the mix of physical and human elements - superpowers (America China etc), energy (combustibles and renewables) water (scarcity and conflict) tech solutions to global warming, global development gap... You cover everything I can think of!
Forgot to add - the course is great, really enjoyed it. I prefer the human side of geography and the edexcel A2 was really good at combining human with physical. Definitely consider geography :smile: I'm taking a gap year to apply to LSE to study geography
Reply 6
AQA
GCSE: A
AS: B
A Level: A*
Geography is not to much harder at A level compared with gcse. There is just more content to learn especially when it comes to a2 but a lot of it just build upon knowlege learnt at gcse particulaly as modules
Reply 7
GCSE A*
AS A
A2 A

It's pretty piss tbh
Original post by nickmurp
GCSE A*
AS A
A2 A

It's pretty piss tbh

What exam board were you on?
Original post by Schu98

GCSE: AQA, low A
AS: AQA, High A (93%), I only need a C next year for an A overall at A-level

Personally I didn't mind geography at GCSE but I hated it at AS but somehow did well regardless of only starting proper revison the week before...
There is a rediculous amount of content at AS I found, but you can apply all of it in the exam whereas in GCSE you couldn't really.
It's not an easy course but definately not the hardest.
The hardest thing about the A level is not killing yourself from boredom. I took it as my 4th subject because my school didn't have capacity for further maths. (Phys maths chem) The AS year was an enormous pain. The "science" they teach is simplified and will make you cry. The "social" part of geography reeks of autism.

If you don't want to study geography or socio-economic stuff at uni DON'T, DON'T TAKE IT.

There are a lot of long-answer questions but because its a "science" subject (WHICH UNIS DON'T CONSIDER IT AS) the answers are all formulated and mechanical. You just memorise this "science" and you are good.

You do not need particular effort or intelligence to do well in it. The social side of geography really covers very obvious theories YOU KIND OF KNEW IN YOUR HEAD THE WHOLE TIME like "a large ageing population puts a lot of strain on NHS resources." It is not something you should be convinced or taught, it is something every capable human should automatically understand.

To become an absolute GOD in geography you just add something slightly above obvious, for example - "many Eastern cultures have community-based mentalities as opposed to Western individualism, and as a result traditions are much more influential in Eastern countries such as India, that lead to consistent traditional lifestyles across generations and result in high birthrates". This will make you bang out 100% every time.

I spent the whole year sitting in the back of the class in my own bubble, reading books, drawing, writing poems, then zerg-rushing a mechanical, formulated answer and getting some of the highest marks in class. Before the exam I spent about 6 hours revising on skype with friends (most of which we ended up dedicating to asking girls for nudes) and quickly memorised some case study information. (to tell the truth someone from the year above gave us perfect case study notes, which I used, but if I didn't have these I would be able to get far less case study information.)

I got 188 ums out of 200. Me. The reason being is that in my exam I was a charismatic clown and used a combination of "intelligent" statements like I described above, formulated long-answer questions, and occasional big words here and there like "feasibility of resource provision", "romanticised city lifestyle" and the examiners thought I was smart. (this trick works in English too btw)

GCSE grade: A * , AS grade - A with 94%, AQA, without any honest effort put in.

THERE IS NO CONSOLIDATION FOR PEOPLE WHO TREAT THIS SUBJECT SERIOUSLY.
Original post by LibertyMan
The hardest thing about the A level is not killing yourself from boredom. I took it as my 4th subject because my school didn't have capacity for further maths. (Phys maths chem) The AS year was an enormous pain. The "science" they teach is simplified and will make you cry. The "social" part of geography reeks of autism.

If you don't want to study geography or socio-economic stuff at uni DON'T, DON'T TAKE IT.

There are a lot of long-answer questions but because its a "science" subject (WHICH UNIS DON'T CONSIDER IT AS) the answers are all formulated and mechanical. You just memorise this "science" and you are good.

You do not need particular effort or intelligence to do well in it. The social side of geography really covers very obvious theories YOU KIND OF KNEW IN YOUR HEAD THE WHOLE TIME like "a large ageing population puts a lot of strain on NHS resources." It is not something you should be convinced or taught, it is something every capable human should automatically understand.

To become an absolute GOD in geography you just add something slightly above obvious, for example - "many Eastern cultures have community-based mentalities as opposed to Western individualism, and as a result traditions are much more influential in Eastern countries such as India, that lead to consistent traditional lifestyles across generations and result in high birthrates". This will make you bang out 100% every time.

I spent the whole year sitting in the back of the class in my own bubble, reading books, drawing, writing poems, then zerg-rushing a mechanical, formulated answer and getting some of the highest marks in class. Before the exam I spent about 6 hours revising on skype with friends (most of which we ended up dedicating to asking girls for nudes) and quickly memorised some case study information. (to tell the truth someone from the year above gave us perfect case study notes, which I used, but if I didn't have these I would be able to get far less case study information.)

I got 188 ums out of 200. Me. The reason being is that in my exam I was a charismatic clown and used a combination of "intelligent" statements like I described above, formulated long-answer questions, and occasional big words here and there like "feasibility of resource provision", "romanticised city lifestyle" and the examiners thought I was smart. (this trick works in English too btw)

GCSE grade: A * , AS grade - A with 94%, AQA, without any honest effort put in.

THERE IS NO CONSOLIDATION FOR PEOPLE WHO TREAT THIS SUBJECT SERIOUSLY.

^ I completely agree. I did little/no work throughout AS and my teacher hated me and threatened I'd only achieve a C but came out with an A somehow.
AQA GCSE - A
AQA AS - A (full ums)

Love the subject, not difficult if you're good at remembering case studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends how extensive your colouring set is
GCSE (edex) A*
AS (edex) A
A2 (edex) A

GCSE was dull, then AS was pretty interesting apart from the fact half of unit 1 is the exam board pushing their agenda on climate change. Unit 2 is a little trickier and coasts was ****. Unit 3 was really interesting especially superpowers and development gap, unit 4 is an absolute bitch purely a test of memory didn't help our teacher made us do cold environments
Reply 15
Completely agree with LibertyMan. AS level (Edexcel) was a joke.
Original post by Flather
GCSE (edex) A*
AS (edex) A
A2 (edex) A

GCSE was dull, then AS was pretty interesting apart from the fact half of unit 1 is the exam board pushing their agenda on climate change. Unit 2 is a little trickier and coasts was ****. Unit 3 was really interesting especially superpowers and development gap, unit 4 is an absolute bitch purely a test of memory didn't help our teacher made us do cold environments

Hi, I am doing edexcel as geography and I am set a homework on outlining the impacts on the weather or a anticyclone. It is 10 marks and I have no where to start. It is due on monday and I feel really stupid that I didn't go to my teacher in advance.
Also, there is a five mark question on describing the main features of an anticyclone and I think what it is trying to tell me is that what are the features needed to produce an anitcyclone. But I may be wrong!

please get back to me!!
thanks
Original post by chynaleighfield
Hi, I am doing edexcel as geography and I am set a homework on outlining the impacts on the weather or a anticyclone. It is 10 marks and I have no where to start. It is due on monday and I feel really stupid that I didn't go to my teacher in advance.
Also, there is a five mark question on describing the main features of an anticyclone and I think what it is trying to tell me is that what are the features needed to produce an anitcyclone. But I may be wrong!

please get back to me!!
thanks

For the 10 mark question I would just define an anticyclone as a sort of introduction. Then try and come up with 2 or 3 effects and then try and explain why these occur, not seeing the question i'm not 100% sure. I would always aim to get around a side for a 10 mark question. Try and fit as many key words as you can in to get into the higher bands.

For the 5 mark question state 2 or 3 obvious points and try and give a little explanation, so high pressure is an obvous starting point.
Original post by Schu98

Hello,

GCSE- B
AS level- C

It's definitely a step up, but if you put in the revision and work you should do fine :smile:

I found the AS content a lot more boring that I'm finding A2( so far) I would definitely recommend it though, it's a really nice subject to take and provides a nice break from other subjects (such as physics e.g)
Has anyone done A2 aqa geography?

Any tips?

I got an A at AS and need an A at a2 :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest