The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amywool
Hi everyone. I just wanted your opinion on my application for GEM:
1st class degree in biomedical science
MSC in Drug Discovery (basically pharmacology and worked at GSK)
MRes in musculoskeletal ageing (lots of ageing stuff in this course!)
Shadowed: respiratory, stroke, rheumatology, emergency care consultants and an f1 and f2.
Worked as a HCA.
I now work for the NHS in research and devlopment helping doctors be engaged in research.
Sounds good right? But UKCAT was 680 :frown:
Also my a levels are not good enough for any that consider them. I'm not doing any other entrance tests this year.
Please let me have your thoughts as even though I have loads of experience my UKCAT let me down :frown:

Thanks

Sounds amazing!! 680 might be okay with your experience, you'll only know til you apply...
What about non UKCAT unis??? Bristol, Birmingham, Cambridge???
Do you think it's worth applying to any UKCAT-requiring GEM courses with an average of 667 or is this just far too low?
Original post by rkate2401
Do you think it's worth applying to any UKCAT-requiring GEM courses with an average of 667 or is this just far too low?

Probably will be a bit low for GEM. It's worth waiting until October 9th which is when the deciles come out before making any decisions, maybe there will be a swing in the mean score.

Do you have any postgrad qualifications? If you do, you might sneak in the Warwick cutoff at a push.

Have you looked at 5 year courses?
Original post by liam__
Probably will be a bit low for GEM. It's worth waiting until October 9th which is when the deciles come out before making any decisions, maybe there will be a swing in the mean score.

Do you have any postgrad qualifications? If you do, you might sneak in the Warwick cutoff at a push.

Have you looked at 5 year courses?

Unfortunately no postgrad qualifications. I think I'll probably focus on 5 year courses and maybe a GEM depending on deciles..

Are there any 5 year courses that are particularly welcoming of graduates (2.1 in Biomed)..? I'm keen on Queen's Belfast but not too sure where else yet!
Unfortunately no postgrad qualifications. I think I'll probably focus on 5 year courses and maybe a GEM depending on deciles..

Are there any 5 year courses that are particularly welcoming of graduates (2.1 in Biomed)..? I'm keen on Queen's Belfast but not too sure where else yet!

Not entirely sure, though your biomed degree will open up a few doors.

If you have abb at a level including chemistry you'll be good for queens. I don't have chemistry and they wouldn't accept it taken after my first degree so that ruled that one out for me. More manageable tuition fees too if you're a ni student!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wciselko
out of the following unis: Kings, Southampton and Newcastle - do you know whether all of them or at least some offer you a 5y place if you perform well at the interview but not good enoguh to get into GEM?

Many thanks,
Kate

I know King's do but not sure about the other two

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wciselko
out of the following unis: Kings, Southampton and Newcastle - do you know whether all of them or at least some offer you a 5y place if you perform well at the interview but not good enoguh to get into GEM?

Many thanks,
Kate

Kings is the only one I'm afraid!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rcha
Hey this is the same position as me, although I got a lower UKCAT score. I think a score of 712.5 is good enough for most grad programmes, however it is a very good if you are applying for undergrad, I would recommend maybe 2 of grad and 2 of undergrad to maximise chances of getting into Medical School, good luck and let us know how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice and good luck to you too!
Reply 1889
Does anyone have some sort of check list which our references are meant to talk about/refer to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a ukcat of 578 ?!?!?!

I don't know whether i should bother to just apply for grad anyway, so I'm more familiar with the ucas process for next year?

I can't believe i got so low.. lowest in history?
Original post by usa-apple
I got a ukcat of 578 ?!?!?!

I don't know whether i should bother to just apply for grad anyway, so I'm more familiar with the ucas process for next year?

I can't believe i got so low.. lowest in history?

Hey there.

I think maybe you should apply to 5 year courses if you want to get a feel for the UCAS process. Sheffield and Keele would possibly take that result. Without offending you, 578 is too low for any grad course and you would most likely get straight rejections through UCAS which makes that learning curve a bit of a dead end.

I'd look at applying to Sheffield, Keele and Manchester if I were you! Good luck and well done in the exam. It is a bitch and anyone who does it should be commended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gamsat question- trying to mark my practice sections. Does anyone know what 80% might equate to in the Gamsat? Would that be enough for 55 in section 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya,
I would love some general opinions on my GEM application. I'm about to start my research based masters fourth year in Biomedicine (I'll be based in a neuroscience lab). I have numerous experiences with shadowing doctors and I work as a care assistant in a dementia home.
I scored 2930 on UKCAT (average 732.5) with:
VR = 790
QR = 640
AR = 840
DA = 660
Band 1 SJ.
My UKCAT scores are slightly varied and I'm really not sure if the average in high enough to apply to Kings or Newcastle? I was thinking definitely Warwick, Barts and Southampton, but I'm not sure about the final slot. What do you think?
I'd appreciate any insight!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know what GEP cut offs for Newcastle have been for the past few years?
Original post by xertyl
Does anyone know what GEP cut offs for Newcastle have been for the past few years?

I think people have said around 720?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemedic94
Hiya,
I would love some general opinions on my GEM application. I'm about to start my research based masters fourth year in Biomedicine (I'll be based in a neuroscience lab). I have numerous experiences with shadowing doctors and I work as a care assistant in a dementia home.
I scored 2930 on UKCAT (average 732.5) with:
VR = 790
QR = 640
AR = 840
DA = 660
Band 1 SJ.
My UKCAT scores are slightly varied and I'm really not sure if the average in high enough to apply to Kings or Newcastle? I was thinking definitely Warwick, Barts and Southampton, but I'm not sure about the final slot. What do you think?
I'd appreciate any insight!!

Congrats on your scores! I'd apply to kings, they said last year 720 was a competitive score so people higher and lower go interviewed. With your degree and masters and work experience id say go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit of a change in conversation direction, but just wondered whether anyone had heard anything about funding yet for 2016-onwards? Ive had my eyes open but I haven't seen anything so far! If they haven't announced it yet, they're leaving it a bit late..... :smile:
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I've decided I'm going to apply for all graduate entry ones anyway and take the risk as I can't afford 5 year! It's good if people with lower scores apply cause it brings down the applicant pool average for the unis that use deciles! Good luck to all.
Original post by LuceeeeeT
Gamsat question- trying to mark my practice sections. Does anyone know what 80% might equate to in the Gamsat? Would that be enough for 55 in section 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I think that a score of 80% should give a score of over 55 but it is very difficult to say as the scoring system has not been made clear and it depends on the performance of the cohort for that year. I have been averaging 60% in section 1 and 50% in section 3, and after your post I am VERY worried :/
How have you been doing in section 3?
Are you of a humanities or sciences background if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending