The Student Room Group

Opinions- A level English Literature, Business studies and Media Studies :)

Hey guys,
So I received an email back from a school who offered me a place to repeat year 12 with these courses. Originally I had planned to become a private candidate to finish my A levels next year but as I had got a reply finally, I'm thinking otherwise. Please be honest with me even if it may sound blunt, what do you think about this combination of A levels along?

As a repeat student with this combination of A levels and not so spectacular GCSEs 1A 4Bs 3Cs 1D what can I do at university? I've been really interested in courses like Law and Business management lately but I don't know if good universities would consider me. Most repeat students are doing traditional A levels. I'll also have to compete with the new students and new a levels where entry requirements will change. It's already September so I need to make a quick decision without wasting more time :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by Cherry82
Hey guys,
So I received an email back from a school who offered me a place to repeat year 12 with these courses. Originally I had planned to become a private candidate to finish my A levels next year but as I had got a reply finally, I'm thinking otherwise. Please be honest with me even if it may sound blunt, what do you think about this combination of A levels along?

As a repeat student with this combination of A levels and not so spectacular GCSEs 1A 4Bs 3Cs 1D what can I do at university? I've been really interested in courses like Law and Business management lately but I don't know if good universities would consider me. Most repeat students are doing traditional A levels. I'll also have to compete with the new students and new a levels where entry requirements will change. It's already September so I need to make a quick decision without wasting more time :s-smilie:

sounds good combo, can you not do law?
Reply 2
Original post by Emsta
sounds good combo, can you not do law?

Lol everyone has asked me that same question :smile: I'd really love to but due to the block choices and clashes at my current school, it could be impossible. But I still would like to ask just in case it is possible. If it is possible, I'll transfer to law asap.
Hey guys,

Those A Levels sounds fine together to me!
Although to do a Law degree you don't necessarily need to do Law A Level (or so I've heard) it might be worth doing it at A Level if you can, more to see if you actually enjoy than anything. :smile:

Don't worry about having to 'compete with the new students.' Majority of universities don't really mind if you've repeated a year, unless it's like, Oxbridge or something. I'm currently at Liverpool University and I repeated Year 12 for various reasons (did Biology, Maths, combined English) and non of the universities I applied to seemed to be fussed about it. :smile:

So long as you've got something to put on your personal statement when it comes to applying to uni, I don't see why it would make such a big difference!
Reply 4
Lol everyone has asked me that same question :smile: I'd really love to but due to the block choices and clashes at my current school, it could be impossible. But I still would like to ask just in case it is possible. If it is possible, I'll transfer to law asap.

yeah have a look on these websites and see what subjects the unis wants- http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/ https://www.ucas.com/
Reply 5
Original post by KittKatt
Those A Levels sounds fine together to me!
Although to do a Law degree you don't necessarily need to do Law A Level (or so I've heard) it might be worth doing it at A Level if you can, more to see if you actually enjoy than anything. :smile:

Don't worry about having to 'compete with the new students.' Majority of universities don't really mind if you've repeated a year, unless it's like, Oxbridge or something. I'm currently at Liverpool University and I repeated Year 12 for various reasons (did Biology, Maths, combined English) and non of the universities I applied to seemed to be fussed about it. :smile:

So long as you've got something to put on your personal statement when it comes to applying to uni, I don't see why it would make such a big difference!

Thank you x
I guess I was worried mainly because my new subjects are not traditional subjects any more like the sciences and maths so feared I may be at a disadvantage compared to those that do. I'll just hope it goes well- thanks again :smile:
Thank you x
I guess I was worried mainly because my new subjects are not traditional subjects any more like the sciences and maths so feared I may be at a disadvantage compared to those that do. I'll just hope it goes well- thanks again :smile:

I don't see why would matter to much. Not everyone enjoys maths and sciences.
And besides, English Lit is considered a 'traditional subject' as far as I know :wink:
Hope all goes well for you! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest