The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miser
Still, that's a better message than "we won't even try."

Fair point. But I think success stories of finding lost kids would be better publicised to deter further abductions.
Reply 41
Original post by miser
Because it (perhaps unfairly) received a lot of media attention and a lot of people empathised with and became interested in the case.

And why did it receive a lot of media attention compared to the many other kids who also go missing? Does she deserve it more?

That's not how public funds should be spent - on how many people are interested in the case. That's ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by DiddyDec
Fair point. But I think success stories of finding lost kids would be better publicised to deter further abductions.

Yes, although due to the separation of government and media, you can't really count on the media making anywhere near a big of a story about any successes as Madeline McCann has gotten.
Reply 43
Original post by justag
And why did it receive a lot of media attention compared to the many other kids who also go missing? Does she deserve it more?

That's not how public funds should be spent - on how many people are interested in the case. That's ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know why - there were probably a lot of factors at play. But people do care about this case in particular, which means the world is watching what we do.
Reply 44
Original post by miser
I don't know why - there were probably a lot of factors at play. But people do care about this case in particular, which means the world is watching what we do.

You've not read the thread. I won't even bother lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
and if they found her now i guess she would run into her parents arms and live happily ever after?

Sorry but her life has been ruined I think it would upset her parents more to see her again now alive or dead. I think perhaps police are keeping the case open because otherwise they will get backlash.
Original post by e aí rapaz
You hear a lot about this girl and her family getting special treatment etc. - does anyone actually know how many other young children that have gone missing in the last 15 years and not been found?

Like, are we/the media/the authorities really ignoring other cases?? Or is this thankfully just a rare occurrence?

This case definitely has unusual features as there was no body quickly discovered and the latter usually means it turns quickly into a murder hunt with a different profile.

A good comparison is the case in Wales a few years back, April Jones, who was neither middle class nor the child of doctors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_April_Jones

Her case caused huge coverage, massive deployment of resources and huge searches.

There have been others. The difference in the McCann case is the length of time the parents have managed to keep the case alive - in the past there was a tendency for old cases to quietly get dropped. I think that's considered less acceptable generally now, regardless of the ethnicity or social background of the child.
Original post by hungryhannah
and if they found her now i guess she would run into her parents arms and live happily ever after?

Sorry but her life has been ruined I think it would upset her parents more to see her again now alive or dead. I think perhaps police are keeping the case open because otherwise they will get backlash.

They are keeping it open because there are well-founded suspicions that point to paedophile gang involvement. If you were a police officer and had a chance to crack a case like that, wouldn't you keep trying? Especially if a foreign police force had approached it with a mixture of amateur fumbling, blanket denial and sinister indifference?
Her parents did it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fullofsurprises
So much harshness in the comments so far. Surely it's better to spend money on this than on big cars for government ministers, lavish foreign trips for MPs or any of the other more absurd things taxpayer money gets wasted on?

There also seems to be a strange thing that goes on with this case, that because she isn't a black or working class child, we shouldn't care. Surely all young children who go missing should attract the greatest possible attention and concern?

It's a travesty that the authorities have such little backbone they give preferential funding for those cases (not completely extraordinary - children have gone missing before) which generate media traction. If they spent £10MM on this case, they should spend it on all other similar cases. The fact is they don't (nor shouldn't - however many years ago the case was, it is obvious now she will not resurface), and that is wrong.

And government cars are there for the safe transport of red boxes. I'm not sure the public would appreciate sensitive material being lost from the basket of a minister's bike given the brouhaha when the PM left his red box unattended on a train.
I'm not gonna go on about her parents or anything, because it's already been done.

I agree with spending money on missing cases and trying to find children, but I can't wrap my head around this. Children go missing all the time and how often do you hear about them? I will never understand why this case is any more important than any other. They don't spend large amounts of money trying to find anyone else.

It's awful, but how many other children/people have also gone missing?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
This case definitely has unusual features as there was no body quickly discovered and the latter usually means it turns quickly into a murder hunt with a different profile.

A good comparison is the case in Wales a few years back, April Jones, who was neither middle class nor the child of doctors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_April_Jones

Her case caused huge coverage, massive deployment of resources and huge searches.

There have been others. The difference in the McCann case is the length of time the parents have managed to keep the case alive - in the past there was a tendency for old cases to quietly get dropped. I think that's considered less acceptable generally now, regardless of the ethnicity or social background of the child.

Right, so that's another case where the response seemed similar, just the outcome was different. I expect lots of money would have been spent on searching for her too, if the case had remained unsolved for so long.

Original post by justag
You've not read the thread. I won't even bother lolPosted from TSR Mobile
What is causing your outrage? Do you have any evidence that more public money was spent on the McCann case than on other long-term unsolved missing children?
Original post by bumblebee342
I'm not gonna go on about her parents or anything, because it's already been done.

I agree with spending money on missing cases and trying to find children, but I can't wrap my head around this. Children go missing all the time and how often do you hear about them? I will never understand why this case is any more important than any other. They don't spend large amounts of money trying to find anyone else.

It's awful, but how many other children/people have also gone missing?

Do they? For more than a couple of days? Over the last 10 years, how many young children have gone missing and remained missing, long-term?

Another case of undue moral outrage. Where is the evidence that children go missing all the time and that the money is not spent on them by the authorities??
Original post by ibzombie96
It's a travesty that the authorities have such little backbone they give preferential funding for those cases (not completely extraordinary - children have gone missing before) which generate media traction. If they spent £10MM on this case, they should spend it on all other similar cases. The fact is they don't (nor shouldn't - however many years ago the case was, it is obvious now she will not resurface), and that is wrong.

And government cars are there for the safe transport of red boxes. I'm not sure the public would appreciate sensitive material being lost from the basket of a minister's bike given the brouhaha when the PM left his red box unattended on a train.

That's a fact is it?

Can we see the evidence of that fact, please?
That's a fact is it?

Can we see the evidence of that fact, please?

This is coming from the police budget, not parliamentary subsidies. Bringing their subsidies into it makes your argument look weak, because they're irrelevant.

This money could've solved untold hundreds of other police cases or worked against police's jobs being cut.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
Right, so that's another case where the response seemed similar, just the outcome was different. I expect lots of money would have been spent on searching for her too, if the case had remained unsolved for so long.

What is causing your outrage? Do you have any evidence that more public money was spent on the McCann case than on other long-term unsolved missing children?

Obviously very few cases cost £10 million, how can you even imagine that's the case?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cost-madeleine-mccann-investigation-spirals-6365140

Average cost is 2.5k for missing children. £10 million is ridiculous overkill. I rest my case.
Original post by justag
Obviously very few cases cost £10 million, how can you even imagine that's the case?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cost-madeleine-mccann-investigation-spirals-6365140

Average cost is 2.5k for missing children. £10 million is ridiculous overkill. I rest my case.

The average child does not go missing from a foreign country for 12 years though. Come on, I'm not trying to be insulting but this is basic stuff. Of course most missing kids don't cost the public 10 million quid. But most are found within days.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 57
The average child does not go missing from a foreign country for 12 years though. Come on, I'm not trying to be insulting but this is basic stuff. Of course most missing kids don't cost the public 10 million quid. But most are found within days.

What is? The fact that other similar cases don't cost that much? What other similar cases are we even comparing with here?

Common sense generally dictates that you close a case when the child went missing 12 years ago. Soon she won't even be a child anymore. They need to give up the investigation and move on. She's dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is? The fact that other similar cases don't cost that much? What other similar cases are we even comparing with here?

The money they're throwing at this case comes from the police budget. Parliamentary subsidies are a completely irrelevant issue.
Original post by anunoriginaluser
The money they're throwing at this case comes from the police budget. Parliamentary subsidies are a completely irrelevant issue.

I think you're confusing me with somebody else. See my last quote of you.

Latest

Trending

Trending