The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AClockworkOrange
Thanks! It's timing I'm struggling on as well and you highlighted that thanks,
What practice materials did you use if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Gosh my spelling is atrocious, sorry :s

I only used medify and the official mocks, I did the easy mock about 2 weeks ago and got 310 (their score) and I was ready to give up, I sat my UKCAT yesterday and got 850 for QR so I really think medify helped me. Remember if you can't do it straight away guess, flag and go back if needs be, I had to do this on at least 3 but if I had tried to do them I would have run out of time
Original post by HCAssistant93
They definitely did! I was just worried that because some were 5 years ago they may not be considered relevant? Also we are short on words and I feel that my main focus should maybe be on the 10 months I just did?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some universities realise that there is little room in the PS for work experience/shadowing/volunteering info and require you to complete an additional form or whatever when they invite you to interview. This is something Nottingham does at least.

Perhaps try and talk about it generally and then if they ask for details you can supply them. This way it shows that you are still thinking about those experiences and they have shaped the path you have chosen/had an impact on your life.
Original post by Marathi
Some universities realise that there is little room in the PS for work experience/shadowing/volunteering info and require you to complete an additional form or whatever when they invite you to interview. This is something Nottingham does at least.

Perhaps try and talk about it generally and then if they ask for details you can supply them. This way it shows that you are still thinking about those experiences and they have shaped the path you have chosen/had an impact on your life.

Thanks for your help! I think I'm going to use the older experience as part of my motivation for medicine. And the talk about my 10 months work more thoroughly. I am not applying to Nottingham but I know keele have a work experience form for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your help! I think I'm going to use the older experience as part of my motivation for medicine. And the talk about my 10 months work more thoroughly. I am not applying to Nottingham but I know keele have a work experience form for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I've seen a lot of GEM dont even consider PS... Where are you applying?
Original post by HanaGEM
From what I've seen a lot of GEM dont even consider PS... Where are you applying?

I think that's true, which is helpful as it certainly takes the pressure off a bit! From what I've been told at the open days I've been to, some of them do read the PS but only as a general sense check. In most cases, at the interview, the interviewer will not have read the PS and will basically know nothing about you.

Where courses have a strong requirement for work experience, they send a questionnaire to assess this.
On UCAS, when you're putting in your degree, it asks for the awarding organisation, what do I put? Because surely it's just the university itself? But it won't let me put that... Help please?
Original post by HanaGEM

Applying to 3 5 year courses and 1 4 year. At the moment keele and Manchester 5 year and Liverpool 4 year

Haven't decided on a 4th place yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
So I swore I wouldn't go on TSR this year because it drove me crazy last year...but I've caved!! :P

I applied last year and didn't get any interviews, and I've now graduated and am trying again!! I got a 2.i in a science subject (after many sleepless nights and breakdowns before my finals) and I'm starting my new job as a HCA on Monday!! I also have a couple of weeks shadowing doctors from last summer.

UKCAT was yesterday: VR 790, QR 880, AR 880, DA 690 (Av. 807.5) Band 1 - I am so happy and so in shock, last year I got Av. 695!! So it's definitely possible to improve!! I'm not doing any other tests (did BMAT last year and I did ok, but not high enough for GEM courses).

I think I'm applying to Warwick, Kings and Southampton, not sure on my last choice. I REALLY wanted to go to Bristol, but I got a few 2.iis in my second year subjects (my course was graded on a bell curve so a certain number of people had to get below a 2.i, which I still think is outrageously unfair) so I don't think they would even consider me. Currently deciding between Barts, Newcastle or applying for a 5 year course somewhere.

Anyway, it's lovely to meet you all, and fingers crossed for all of us that we get a place! I recognise a few names from last year, so I'm sending extra luck to you!! :smile:
Original post by dancingfaery
On UCAS, when you're putting in your degree, it asks for the awarding organisation, what do I put? Because surely it's just the university itself? But it won't let me put that... Help please?

If you put an abbreviation it should be ok, they'll figure it out. For example UoX (With X being first letter of your uni if its called University of X) or the first three letters maybe? That's what I did anyway!

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by SummerSunshine
So I swore I wouldn't go on TSR this year because it drove me crazy last year...but I've caved!! :P

I applied last year and didn't get any interviews, and I've now graduated and am trying again!! I got a 2.i in a science subject (after many sleepless nights and breakdowns before my finals) and I'm starting my new job as a HCA on Monday!! I also have a couple of weeks shadowing doctors from last summer.

UKCAT was yesterday: VR 790, QR 880, AR 880, DA 690 (Av. 807.5) Band 1 - I am so happy and so in shock, last year I got Av. 695!! So it's definitely possible to improve!! I'm not doing any other tests (did BMAT last year and I did ok, but not high enough for GEM courses).

I think I'm applying to Warwick, Kings and Southampton, not sure on my last choice. I REALLY wanted to go to Bristol, but I got a few 2.iis in my second year subjects (my course was graded on a bell curve so a certain number of people had to get below a 2.i, which I still think is outrageously unfair) so I don't think they would even consider me. Currently deciding between Barts, Newcastle or applying for a 5 year course somewhere.

Anyway, it's lovely to meet you all, and fingers crossed for all of us that we get a place! I recognise a few names from last year, so I'm sending extra luck to you!! :smile:

Wow Amazing score! Congrats. You'll have a very good chance this year. I'd say go for Newcastle. You'll definitely get an interview with that score. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow Amazing score! Congrats. You'll have a very good chance this year. I'd say go for Newcastle. You'll definitely get an interview with that score. Good luck!

Thank you!! I was expecting to get a similar score to last year so I was going to apply for 5 year courses!

I think I would get an interview at Barts too, although I read earlier in the thread that they're now using it 50:50 with academic stuff (which sucks- unless it means school results)! I just don't know if it's a bad idea to only apply to 4 year courses since there are so few places; even if I get interviews, I might not be good enough for a place after that!
Thank you!! I was expecting to get a similar score to last year so I was going to apply for 5 year courses!

I think I would get an interview at Barts too, although I read earlier in the thread that they're now using it 50:50 with academic stuff (which sucks- unless it means school results)! I just don't know if it's a bad idea to only apply to 4 year courses since there are so few places; even if I get interviews, I might not be good enough for a place after that!

I get what you mean but you're likely to get 4 interviews so you're chances are good if you can smash interview. Maybe put barts 5 year if you like it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HanaGEM
Gosh my spelling is atrocious, sorry :s

I only used medify and the official mocks, I did the easy mock about 2 weeks ago and got 310 (their score) and I was ready to give up, I sat my UKCAT yesterday and got 850 for QR so I really think medify helped me. Remember if you can't do it straight away guess, flag and go back if needs be, I had to do this on at least 3 but if I had tried to do them I would have run out of time

Wow congrats! Thanks :smile:
How much did you prepare a day? (Sorry for all the questions, you don't have to answer if you want)
Hey first post here. I'm going in my 3rd year studying Biomedical Sciences and am going to apply for GEM. I was wondering, what would you guys consider 'good' UKCAT scores? Also, do universities look at each section or just the average?

Original post by Albert95
Hey first post here. I'm going in my 3rd year studying Biomedical Sciences and am going to apply for GEM. I was wondering, what would you guys consider 'good' UKCAT scores? Also, do universities look at each section or just the average?

Based on my experience and from what I've read, the cut off for GEM unis tends to be between 720 and 750, depending on the uni and what the average scores are that year. I got 695 last year and that was too low, that's all I know for sure.

EDIT: And hi! I saw you on the UKCAT thread :smile:
Based on my experience and from what I've read, the cut off for GEM unis tends to be between 720 and 750, depending on the uni and what the average scores are that year. I got 695 last year and that was too low, that's all I know for sure.

EDIT: And hi! I saw you on the UKCAT thread :smile:

Haha hello to you as well :smile: I'm just worried that my relatively low VR score will affect my overall application :/

Thanks btw :smile:
Haha hello to you as well :smile: I'm just worried that my relatively low VR score will affect my overall application :/

Thanks btw :smile:

The only place that seems to care about VR is Warwick. They 'cut' anyone who didn't get above the VR average for that year, so you might be a little bit close to that, but I think otherwise you would probably be ok! Your score is great (and is above what I was aiming for so its a good score); I can't imagine that you'll have an issue with it.
The only place that seems to care about VR is Warwick. They 'cut' anyone who didn't get above the VR average for that year, so you might be a little bit close to that, but I think otherwise you would probably be ok! Your score is great (and is above what I was aiming for so its a good score); I can't imagine that you'll have an issue with it.

Thanks :smile: I think I'll just email them and ask if they do have a cut-off specifically for VR for GEPs. Are you going to apply for GEP as well? When are you taking the UKCAT? Yeah I'm just pretty much hoping for the best :smile:
Thanks :smile: I think I'll just email them and ask if they do have a cut-off specifically for VR for GEPs. Are you going to apply for GEP as well? When are you taking the UKCAT? Yeah I'm just pretty much hoping for the best :smile:

It says what I said on the website. It just depends what this year's average is. You can find it all somewhere on their website (I found it today).

Yeah I am! I took it yesterday actually! :smile: still making up my mind as to where to apply, as I was sure I was going to apply for 5 year courses until I got my score!
It says what I said on the website. It just depends what this year's average is. You can find it all somewhere on their website (I found it today).

Yeah I am! I took it yesterday actually! :smile: still making up my mind as to where to apply, as I was sure I was going to apply for 5 year courses until I got my score!

Ahhh okay thanks :smile: Just saw your score and, I gotta say, it's very impressive :smile: Congratulations!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending