The Student Room Group

Worcester vs Lincoln?

Thinking about studying law. But I'm stuck between these two colleges. I literally can't decide. Other than size/location, what are some differences? Which one would you choose and why?
Lincoln has the nicer library, granted, but Worcester has a law library in addition to normal 24/7 college library. Plus Worcester has a LAKE and DUCKS. What more could you possibly want? :awesome:

(Unbiased opinion, naturally :ninja: )
Reply 2
BND
OP
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Lincoln has the nicer library, granted, but Worcester has a law library in addition to normal 24/7 college library. Plus Worcester has a LAKE and DUCKS. What more could you possibly want? :awesome:

(Unbiased opinion, naturally :ninja: )

I thought Lincoln had a law library/room? I remember reading that somewhere

But I agree that Worcester looks much better. Are you allowed on the grass? And what do you think about the year size? Is it too big? I heard in Lincoln you would know everyone on a first name basis but you don't get that in other colleges
Original post by BND
I thought Lincoln had a law library/room? I remember reading that somewhere

But I agree that Worcester looks much better. Are you allowed on the grass? And what do you think about the year size? Is it too big? I heard in Lincoln you would know everyone on a first name basis but you don't get that in other colleges

It could do, I wouldn't know :colondollar:

You're allowed on any grass that ISN'T the main quad grass. So you're allowed on the big lawns and the sports pitches and in the orchard :yep:

Personally, I found the year group size just right for me. I'm quite shy but if I had wanted to know the names and faces of all those in my year, it would not have been too difficult. Equally though, the size is big enough to remain anonymous in college if you want to (which I did) :yep:
Reply 4
BND
OP
It could do, I wouldn't know :colondollar:

You're allowed on any grass that ISN'T the main quad grass. So you're allowed on the big lawns and the sports pitches and in the orchard :yep:

Personally, I found the year group size just right for me. I'm quite shy but if I had wanted to know the names and faces of all those in my year, it would not have been too difficult. Equally though, the size is big enough to remain anonymous in college if you want to (which I did) :yep:

That sounds pretty good! I'm not sure if you'd know but in terms of competition, which one is easier to get into for law? I know there's pooling which should make it equal. But which one has more applicants per place?

And looking at accommodation, it looks pretty spread out. Are all 1st years close together or are they spread across the college buildings? I think in Lincoln, pretty much everyone is in the same bit. Is that the same for Worcester?
Original post by BND
That sounds pretty good! I'm not sure if you'd know but in terms of competition, which one is easier to get into for law? I know there's pooling which should make it equal. But which one has more applicants per place?

And looking at accommodation, it looks pretty spread out. Are all 1st years close together or are they spread across the college buildings? I think in Lincoln, pretty much everyone is in the same bit. Is that the same for Worcester?

The accommodation is def spread out. In my day (2007-2010), first years weren't all together but generally in 3-4 main areas:

- Gloucester House/Staircase 24
- Main quad/Pump Quad
- A few in and around the Goldfish Bowl
- Worcester House/the Mitchell Building

@colourtheory can confirm whether or not that is still the case. I think it's safe to say that even if every single first year is not in your area, you would still be surrounded by loads of first years, wherever you end up living :biggrin:
As for which is 'easier' to get into, I'd imagine Lincoln MAY have fewer applicants but I'm not a lawyer, so I do not know, I'm afraid :nah:
The accommodation is def spread out. In my day (2007-2010), first years weren't all together but generally in 3-4 main areas:

- Gloucester House/Staircase 24
- Main quad/Pump Quad
- A few in and around the Goldfish Bowl
- Worcester House/the Mitchell Building

@colourtheory can confirm whether or not that is still the case. I think it's safe to say that even if every single first year is not in your area, you would still be surrounded by loads of first years, wherever you end up living :biggrin:

Now first years are pretty much always in Staircase 24, main quad / pump quad, and goldfish bowl :smile:

Something to bear in mind I think is the very different year sizes at each college. Lincoln has 80 in a year vs Worcester's 120. From my experience Lincoln is quite cliquey and quite public school.
Sorry to invade your thread :colondollar: but I'm also applying for Law at Oxford and am also stuck between two colleges: Worcester and University. There's lots of information above about Worcester, but can anyone offer any opinions on University? Thanks
Reply 9
BND
OP
Original post by colourtheory
Now first years are pretty much always in Staircase 24, main quad / pump quad, and goldfish bowl :smile:

Something to bear in mind I think is the very different year sizes at each college. Lincoln has 80 in a year vs Worcester's 120. From my experience Lincoln is quite cliquey and quite public school.

So is Worcester private school esque? And would you prefer the larger year size in Worcester?
Original post by LoveToArgue
Sorry to invade your thread :colondollar: but I'm also applying for Law at Oxford and am also stuck between two colleges: Worcester and University. There's lots of information above about Worcester, but can anyone offer any opinions on University? Thanks

Afraid I don't know much about Univ, aside from the music don (who is one of my best friends!), so cannot help you :nah:

Original post by BND
So is Worcester private school esque? And would you prefer the larger year size in Worcester?

I think statistically Worcester has one of the highest private school intakes, but tbh at Worcester at least, you can't actually tell what kind of school someone has been to without asking them directly :nah: Most people just get on with each other and you might be friends with someone for ages before the subject of your secondary schooling comes up :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by BND

From the last set of data I could quickly get my hands on (2013 entry data - so a couple of years old now), Worcester was substantially more state school than Univ, and a little more so than Lincoln. And Worcester that year was well above the university average.
Reply 12
BND
OP
Original post by colourtheory

Original post by RichE
From the last set of data I could quickly get my hands on (2013 entry data - so a couple of years old now), Worcester was substantially more state school than Univ, and a little more so than Lincoln. And Worcester that year was well above the university average.

I'm pretty tempted to go with Worcester. But I've heard that it's really difficult to get into (apparently, it's one of the hardest colleges). Is this true for law (if you don't count pooling)?
Reply 13
Original post by BND
I'm pretty tempted to go with Worcester. But I've heard that it's really difficult to get into (apparently, it's one of the hardest colleges). Is this true for law (if you don't count pooling)?

In the last three years, and deliberately in no particular order, Worcester has had 90, 57 and 55 applicants for Law. The college has nine places annually. This means that two of those years it was just below averagely competitive (at least in terms of direct applicants) and one year very competitive. No one knows this year's figures and in any case those figures don't affect your chance of getting in to the university. So I'd suggest applying to a college you like. There really isn't any point in second-guessing the application numbers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RichE
In the last three years, and deliberately in no particular order, Worcester has had 90, 57 and 55 applicants for Law. The college has nine places annually. This means that two of those years it was just below averagely competitive (at least in terms of direct applicants) and one year very competitive. No one knows this year's figures and in any case those figures don't affect your chance of getting in to the university. So I'd suggest applying to a college you like. There really isn't any point in second-guessing the application numbers.

Out of interest, where have you got the information that says how many people have applied to a specific subject at each individual college? :smile:
Emma Watson went to Worcester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending