The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

UKCAT result - I THINK THIS IS GOOD. Nothing wildly off like in 2013, so I think this should mean that cut-offs this year will be (HOPEFULLY) fairly similar to last year's, or only slightly higher. I say hopefully because that works for me, although I realise it may have been helpful for others if the cut-offs had been lowered a bit from last year.

At the Newcastle GEM open day in June this year, they said that their cut-off is usually 400-500 higher than the relevant year's mean total score. So for example, 2014's average was 2505 and the Newcastle cut-off was 2910 (405 higher). If this holds broadly true for this year, we'd be looking at a Newcastle cut-off of somewhere in the range 2931-3031.

The only thing that's hard to judge is whether there will be a bit of a rush of candidates, which could result in cut-offs having to be a bit higher. But too many factors come into play in trying to second guess all that... so I'll stop before my head starts to hurt.
Original post by liam__
I'm glad there were no erratic changes this year, cutoff scores should (hopefully) stay similar. Warwick is going to be a close one with my score.

I'm in the same boat. Based on the 2013 cycle compared to this one, I'm thinking their cut-off is likely to be 705.
The other takeaway from this year's mean UKCAT scores is: if you're applying to Warwick, they immediately rank by VR score and exclude the lower tail, meaning anyone scoring less than the mean average VR score (regardless of total score). We now know this year's mean average score for VR is 577, so if you scored less than this, I would suggest saving your application spot for somewhere else.
Reply 2623
I know they're on here somewhere and in being lazy but if someone has the cut offs for any school to hand and could post them for me it would be much appreciated!
Original post by prospectmedic
I'm in the same boat. Based on the 2013 cycle compared to this one, I'm thinking their cut-off is likely to be 705.

People have speculated that Warwick will interview more people this year, as last year it got farcical and ~70% of people interviewed got offers (due to many people pulling out of the interview as they already had offers). The affect of this would be a lower cutoff score, but this is all pure speculation.
Original post by liam__
People have speculated that Warwick will interview more people this year, as last year it got farcical and ~70% of people interviewed got offers (due to many people pulling out of the interview as they already had offers). The affect of this would be a lower cutoff score, but this is all pure speculation.

They're interviewing earlier this year, so it might not be as much of an issue. They may also interview more people, but I wouldn't say it's guaranteed when they've made the date change too! I guess we can't really tell!!
Original post by liam__

That would be great if that is the case, time will tell....
I'd been looking forward to the deciles, but now the next thing is invitations to interview, and that's absolutely bloody terrifying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SummerSunshine
They're interviewing earlier this year, so it might not be as much of an issue. They may also interview more people, but I wouldn't say it's guaranteed when they've made the date change too! I guess we can't really tell!!

Yep I'm completely guessing! I saw that they were interviewing earlier this year, but I'm not sure that solves their problem. If people are flat out not going to their Warwick interview it means that Warwick was never their first choice. So interviewing earlier will improve attendance, however, if those same candidates get offers from their preferred uni and reject Warwick, they may end up giving lots of offers out to people wait listed (thus in the end ~70% get offers anyway). I should really stop with all this conjecture... :s-smilie:
Reply 2629
guys need some serious help. want to apply to kings 5 year as a graduate. i got a measly 627.5 average this year (down from 642.5 last year). last years mcl cut off was 630 - do you think this will increase slightly this year? just don't want to waste any chances as this year is now my last application to med
based on the only evidence we have, which is that scores have increased slightly (6 points when averaged /900), the advice would be not to apply if you have a safer option. Depends what the alternative is
I have a score of bang on 705. I've applied to Barts, Southampton and Warwick. Realistically what do you think my chances of being offered an interview are?
Original post by Ooompalumpa
Sorry to interrupt, but are you looking at the four year course at Barts?

Both 4 & 5 lol I'm looking everywhere
I'm still trying to decide between Warwick or Nottingham as my final course choice (my others being Newcastle, Southampton and St George's - I'm a non-science graduate). I have a strong UKCAT score (3050), which I'm cautiously optimistic would get me an interview at Warwick, Newcastle or Soton. GAMSAT is a massive question mark - I felt it went reasonably well but who knows, I haven't sat it before and I don't have much of a feel for how I'll score.

What I'm grappling with is: do I put down Warwick for a fair chance of an interview, or Notts? For context, I went to both on open days and was impressed by both institutions, although probably Notts more (both the uni generally and course specifically). A big difference is Coventry really really doesn't appeal to me, while Derby/Nottingham are pretty nice places to live (controversial view, but I like them) and more affordable.

Any advice? I guess all other things being equal, I'd apply to Notts, but if my GAMSAT score comes through and it's not good enough, I'd really kick myself.
So just to clarify, 4 year courses are partly paid for by the NHS but you have to pay the first term and other bits n pieces, whereas the 5 year course, you pay 4 years up front ?? Is That right? Cause unless I get fortunately get accepted in a 4 year course in the next few years, I'll never afford a 5 year... :frown: who has £36k casually lying around ?!
Reply 2635
Original post by mzchocolate
So just to clarify, 4 year courses are partly paid for by the NHS but you have to pay the first term and other bits n pieces, whereas the 5 year course, you pay 4 years up front ?? Is That right? Cause unless I get fortunately get accepted in a 4 year course in the next few years, I'll never afford a 5 year... :frown: who has £36k casually lying around ?!

Ok - about that: why are people stressing out so much about 5 year courses? Either I am missing something or it's actually not that scary. I called student finance England today and they told me that as a graduate I am allowed to have a maintenance loan, which is 8200 per year (and this is even though I graduated from Scotland and am EU!). This means you have to self-fund the rest 800 for 4 years = 3200. Also, I would presume that graduates will have developed study techniques and have some time for a part-time job to support themselves.
Original post by cyftii
Ok - about that: why are people stressing out so much about 5 year courses? Either I am missing something or it's actually not that scary. I called student finance England today and they told me that as a graduate I am allowed to have a maintenance loan, which is 8200 per year (and this is even though I graduated from Scotland and am EU!). This means you have to self-fund the rest 800 for 4 years = 3200. Also, I would presume that graduates will have developed study techniques and have some time for a part-time job to support themselves.

If a part time job is enough to fund rent, food, bills, having a life for 5 years and the £3200!? I doubt working 20 hrs a week stacking shelves would be enough.
Original post by cyftii

What?! I read on STudent finance that if you have a done a degree you can't get another loan for a mother 5 ear degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cyftii

Its true in the pre-clinical years that it's easy to have a job, but as you move to clinical the holidays disappear and the work load gets more and more intense. I wouldn't want to risk my medical career on the hope that I can maintain that for 2.5(ish) years and not burn out/fail.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2639
Original post by HCAssistant93
What?! I read on STudent finance that if you have a done a degree you can't get another loan for a mother 5 ear degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, this is true for tuition fees though. I called them twice for the last two weeks to confirm it, and both times they said we are eligible for a maintenance loan. I asked them specifically if I can use it for tuition fees and the answer was positive :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending