The Student Room Group

Really annoying chemistry topic

Okay so im doing a level chemistry and I was loving it until having to work out these frigging shapes of molecules!! They are so confusing and every time I try to teach it to myself it just doesnt work. Can someone please explain to me how to do it for SO2??

Also it would be so great if someone could guide me in any way for a way to work out the shapes and bond angles for a molecule that wont confuse me haha

It would be so so appreciated. I really want at least a B or C this year and learning how to do this will make me feel a lot better about chemistry.

:smile: thankyouxxxxxxxxx
Reply 1
what's the name of this topic?
Hey. I presume this is for Chem 1 AQA? If so I have attached some phone slides I made last year to help me remember since I found them quite tricky too. The slides with the shapes/bond angles are towards the end of the pdf. I took all the pictures/bond angles/names from past paper mark schemes too so they should all be correct :smile:
Original post by ilovethe1975
Okay so im doing a level chemistry and I was loving it until having to work out these frigging shapes of molecules!! They are so confusing and every time I try to teach it to myself it just doesnt work. Can someone please explain to me how to do it for SO2??

Also it would be so great if someone could guide me in any way for a way to work out the shapes and bond angles for a molecule that wont confuse me haha

It would be so so appreciated. I really want at least a B or C this year and learning how to do this will make me feel a lot better about chemistry.

:smile: thankyouxxxxxxxxx

http://www2.pvc.maricopa.edu/tutor/chem/chem130/geometry/geom.html

PM me an email address and you can have my PP that I teach from
Original post by greenmath
Hey. I presume this is for Chem 1 AQA? If so I have attached some phone slides I made last year to help me remember since I found them quite tricky too. The slides with the shapes/bond angles are towards the end of the pdf. I took all the pictures/bond angles/names from past paper mark schemes too so they should all be correct :smile:

i am actually doing OCR but these slides are AMAZING omg!!!!! i wish i used these last year when i did AQA :/ im actually resitting this year because i got a U haha, oops.
Original post by gomc
what's the name of this topic?

shapes of molecules
Reply 6

those slides are LIFE

i hate bond angles too and they're all over my A2 syllabus with chirality and that and i have no idea what to do lol

thanks for those! will steal them
Original post by z33
those slides are LIFE

i hate bond angles too and they're all over my A2 syllabus with chirality and that and i have no idea what to do lol

thanks for those! will steal them

Thank you very much! Those slides were the only reason I even managed to learn shapes of molecules last year:colondollar:
Reply 8
Thank you very much! Those slides were the only reason I even managed to learn shapes of molecules last year:colondollar:

no thank you! and hopefully i do better in my retake this year than i did last time round lol

Quick Reply

Latest