The Student Room Group

Why are we giving social housing to immigrants from Poland, Bulgaria, Croatia etc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It is more to do with changes in government policies rather than the EU/migrants themselves by giving social housing priority to those work than those who are desperate. Homeless people cannot work due to discrimination and social stigma, therefore many cannot afford the rent for social housing. http://england.shelter.org.uk/campaigns/why_we_campaign/Improving_social_housing/Why_we_need_more_social_housing

Since Eastern Europeans are very likely to work and meet those criteria, they're given the priority. It's less to do with nationality and more to do with meeting the points on the checklist. Is it fair? Maybe yes, maybe not. Blame the government for this, not EU or Eastern Europeans - they haven't created the criteria.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You don't really care about homeless people Billy or any notion of a welfare state that would house them. You are just using it as a reason to bash immigrants via proxy.

You don;t think we should house these people because they are foreign and you don;t think we should house native homeless people because they do not have any money of their own with which to purchase somewhere to live. You don;t want to help either.

Your crocodile tears will not put British homeless people in homes.

That advert just screams of Golden Dawn.

That's all just ad-hominem though. Doesn't actually change the facts.
Reply 22
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You don't really care about homeless people Billy or any notion of a welfare state that would house them. You are just using it as a reason to bash immigrants via proxy.

You don;t think we should house these people because they are foreign and you don;t think we should house native homeless people because they do not have any money of their own with which to purchase somewhere to live. You don;t want to help either.

Your crocodile tears will not put British homeless people in homes.

That advert just screams of Golden Dawn.

Where have I mentioned British homeless? I said admitting immigrants who cannot even afford housing is the most idiotic idea ever.

If its so good, why don't we take the point further and house any person from Africa who is poor too? Yes?
Reply 23
Original post by mark36
It is more to do with changes in government policies rather than the EU/migrants themselves by giving social housing priority to those work than those who are desperate. Homeless people cannot work due to discrimination and social stigma, therefore many cannot afford the rent for social housing. http://england.shelter.org.uk/campaigns/why_we_campaign/Improving_social_housing/Why_we_need_more_social_housing

Since Eastern Europeans are very likely to work and meet those criteria, they're given the priority. It's less to do with nationality and more to do with meeting the points on the checklist. Is it fair? Maybe yes, maybe not. Blame the government for this, not EU or Eastern Europeans - they haven't created the criteria.

Actually homeless people cannot work because they require a bank account to be paid and you cannot have a bank account if you are homeless....

This is how the Big Issue started.....
We only like the EU when it beneficial to us, as soon as we need to give to others, everyone is up in arms. You can't receive without giving.
Reply 25
Original post by chantalc
We only like the EU when it beneficial to us, as soon as we need to give to others, everyone is up in arms. You can't receive without giving.

What does the EU give to us without receiving?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by billydisco
What does the EU give to us without receiving?

I just said we have to give to receive? what does your question even mean?
Reply 27
I just said we have to give to receive? what does your question even mean?

You claimed we cannot receive without giving:

So what have we received from the EU?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly
That's all just ad-hominem though. Doesn't actually change the facts.

Well it is relevant. It's very fake to act all concerned when you don't. Billy is pretending he's upset for all those British people on the streets yet he doesn't care about them at all. He's just using this as a stick to bank his anti-immigrant drum.
Reply 29
Original post by Bornblue
Well it is relevant. It's very fake to act all concerned when you don't. Billy is pretending he's upset for all those British people on the streets yet he doesn't care about them at all. He's just using this as a stick to bank his anti-immigrant drum.

Where did I mention British homeless people? Think you'll find I simply said admitting migrants who can't even afford to live here is idiotic.

Isn't it a bit silly to admit immigrants who can't even afford their own accommodation?

It is a left wing thing and then they have the cheek to complain about lack of social housing for our own.
Original post by Bornblue

Who cares about billy though? This should be a discussion about the facts.
for me the immigration issue in this country can be fixed easily. we leave the EU and set up a system where you can come to live the uk if you have found a job and accommodation before you arrive and you can't claim any benefits for two years. problem solved i'd say
Reply 33
You can't receive without giving.

So why bother in the first place? May as well just keep what you have..
Reply 34
Original post by Gears265
It is a left wing thing and then they have the cheek to complain about lack of social housing for our own.

Just wait, in the next GE UKIP will steal Labour's Northern vote......

The problem with Labour is, they don't represent anything any more. We're not in the 1910s, where the working class have no say.

Actually Labour do currently represent something, the British Communist party- wishing to destroy anything remotely British (monarchy, armed forces etc). All their 80s and 90s voters, gained from loathing Thatcher will now vote UKIP because the Labour/Communist party love immigration, which damages the lives of the working class.
Reply 35
Original post by chelseafreak
for me the immigration issue in this country can be fixed easily. we leave the EU and set up a system where you can come to live the uk if you have found a job and accommodation before you arrive and you can't claim any benefits for two years. problem solved i'd say

Agreed but I would add they must be highly-skilled. As I understand it, just apply our current non-EU immigration policy to them.
Reply 36
Original post by chelseafreak

*If you have found a job which could not reasonably be filled by someone already in the country.
Reply 37
Original post by KingBradly
Who cares about billy though? This should be a discussion about the facts.

Exactly (and I never even mentioned native homesless people?!?! My point was who we are admitting to the country because of the EU).
Agreed but I would add they must be highly-skilled. As I understand it, just apply our current non-EU immigration policy to them.

Original post by Reue
*If you have found a job which could not reasonably be filled by someone already in the country.

both good points
You claimed we cannot receive without giving:

So what have we received from the EU?

-Freedom of Travel and Work. Being in the EU means British students have the opportunity to study anywhere in the UK. Its okay when British people want to exploit the poor economic situation in countries such as Spain, Greece, Portugal etc. to buy holiday homes out there, who complains about the EU then?
-Security I'd rather be in the EU than being a lonely, isolated island. The European Trade Warrant would be taken away from us.
-Single Market. The EU is the UK's biggest trade partner, worth more than £400bn a year
-Jobs Thousands of jobs would be lost as global companies would relocate to cheaper EU countries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending