The Student Room Group

I read Elliot Rodger's 147-page manifesto and I feel sorry for him

I know what he did was so terrible, unforgivable, but one day I was reminded about the story of what he did and why he did it, I was browsing and I came across his manifesto, I thought i'd read a bit but I got completely sucked in.

I could relate to so much of it but what he was still thinking and going through at 22 I had already gotten past at 16.

What he did was unforgivable, monsterous and don't get me wrong I can't excuse it but I can't hate the man, if you read his manifesto you'll see he went through horrific and very real suffering that twisted and destroyed him. He's a typical example of a man turn to brutal evil through pure pain.

I honestly feel so bad for him I wish I could travel back in time and help him, I really wish I could save him if you read his story you'll really feel his pain and it was so awful, reading it is a deeply emotional and sad thing because you know what's going to happen in the end but just can't bring yourself to accept it.

I hate to think someone had to go through so much pain, but can you imagine the pain that drove him to do such horrific things, I don't think we can even imagine.

I really hate to think this happens to people, and it happens to a lot of young guys, we go through a really tough time, especially if we don't live up to society's expectations. it's so difficult navigating life as a guy with aspergers or any kind of anxiety and social awkwardness.

I managed to make it through because I wasn't as bad as he was, I am probably on the spectrum, an aspie perhaps but I never had it as hard as he did, and I still think I suffered. I do remember feeling a sense of incredible pain and anguish when I was in uni and got bullied by my housemates in several different dorms and houses and was a social outcast. I did computer science so there were no girls and I was so upset about the fact I'd never have a girlfriend. and this was after having sex with many girls in my life, I cant' imagine the pain i'd have gone through being a virgin into my 20's

Anyone else relate? what can we do to stop this happening in future, is there a problem in society that causes this? personally I think our media uses sex to sell us things too much and part of that is by shoving super hot women in our faces all the time, women most of us will never be able to get, some of us can deal with that and some of us get destroyed over it. I personally think we should go back to a more conservative past where there weren't half naked women everywhere in the media using the primitive desires of men as marketting tools.

This wouldn't solve the issue, but it'd help it,a nd it'd help stop sexism too, two birds with one stone.

Scroll to see replies

bump
Reply 2
Who?
Reply 3
Original post by Etomidate
The insecure, nervous perma-virgin who was obsessed with his BMW and being unable to get laid. Went on a shooting spree. He used to post on TSR under the name Awesome Genius.

Its a pity he did not shoot himself first.
He chose to go on a killing spree. He had no right to take the lives of innocent people just because he was going through pain of his own and couldn't get laid. He should've gone to therapy or something. It just wasn't right at all
The insecure, nervous perma-virgin who was obsessed with his BMW and being unable to get laid. Went on a shooting spree. He used to post on TSR under the name Awesome Genius.

Oh man :rofl2:
You got a link to this? I kinda like reading weird stuff
Original post by queen-bee
He chose to go on a killing spree. He had no right to take the lives of innocent people just because he was going through pain of his own and couldn't get laid. He should've gone to therapy or something. It just wasn't right at all

tbf if you drive yourself mad I don't think your first thought is gonna be "**** I'm mad I'd better go to therapy"
Reply 7
Original post by TheMaster102
I know what he did was so terrible, unforgivable, but one day I was reminded about the story of what he did and why he did it, I was browsing and I came across his manifesto, I thought i'd read a bit but I got completely sucked in.

I could relate to so much of it but what he was still thinking and going through at 22 I had already gotten past at 16.

What he did was unforgivable, monsterous and don't get me wrong I can't excuse it but I can't hate the man, if you read his manifesto you'll see he went through horrific and very real suffering that twisted and destroyed him. He's a typical example of a man turn to brutal evil through pure pain.

I honestly feel so bad for him I wish I could travel back in time and help him, I really wish I could save him if you read his story you'll really feel his pain and it was so awful, reading it is a deeply emotional and sad thing because you know what's going to happen in the end but just can't bring yourself to accept it.

I hate to think someone had to go through so much pain, but can you imagine the pain that drove him to do such horrific things, I don't think we can even imagine.

I really hate to think this happens to people, and it happens to a lot of young guys, we go through a really tough time, especially if we don't live up to society's expectations. it's so difficult navigating life as a guy with aspergers or any kind of anxiety and social awkwardness.

I managed to make it through because I wasn't as bad as he was, I am probably on the spectrum, an aspie perhaps but I never had it as hard as he did, and I still think I suffered. I do remember feeling a sense of incredible pain and anguish when I was in uni and got bullied by my housemates in several different dorms and houses and was a social outcast. I did computer science so there were no girls and I was so upset about the fact I'd never have a girlfriend. and this was after having sex with many girls in my life, I cant' imagine the pain i'd have gone through being a virgin into my 20's

Anyone else relate? what can we do to stop this happening in future, is there a problem in society that causes this? personally I think our media uses sex to sell us things too much and part of that is by shoving super hot women in our faces all the time, women most of us will never be able to get, some of us can deal with that and some of us get destroyed over it. I personally think we should go back to a more conservative past where there weren't half naked women everywhere in the media using the primitive desires of men as marketting tools.

This wouldn't solve the issue, but it'd help it,a nd it'd help stop sexism too, two birds with one stone.

I found him quite a childish, entitled, spoilt person.

But yes I found it sad anyone could get to the stage where they no longer want to live never mind taking other people with them.

The human mind is so fragile but can take a lot of punishment at the same time. Lean over a ledge high up and ever muscle tries pull you away that's the desire to live in action. To break that requires a metric ton of pain and suffering (imagined and actual). At the same time everyone is only a few steps away from it.

I think it's sad he felt the way he did. It's monstrous that he chose to take people from their families because of it though.
Reply 8

OMG savage. :rofl:

No I don't feel sorry for him, he felt entitled to women. No one is entitled. :mad:
I, too, read his manifesto, and I did truly empathise with him. Like you, I could feel his pain. There is only so much societal rejection an individual can take before they SNAP.

Reading his manifesto made me realize something I never previously thought about before - what it means to be 'good' or 'evil'. Society classes Elliot Rodger as 'evil' because nobody can empathise with his situation. Hence morality is a social construct, based on the views of what the majority of the population feel. If you think differently from the norm, you are labelled as 'weird', 'evil', 'not right'. As David Icke says, 'our society has out-sheeped the sheep - at least sheep need a sheep-dog to keep them in line, humans keep eachother in line. And they do it by ridiculing or condemning anyone who commits the crime of being different'
Original post by Retired_Messiah
You got a link to this? I kinda like reading weird stuff

tbf if you drive yourself mad I don't think your first thought is gonna be "**** I'm mad I'd better go to therapy"

I'd really recommend it, but you will find it's not weird, in fact it makes you realize that he was just like any one of us, innocent as a child and moulded over the years, it's a very sad story indeed, it's a tradegy.

What he did was inexcusable, make no mistake about it, and I do not support or accept misogyny, or misandry for that matter, or any kind of hate towards each other. You'll find a huge part of what turned him into the monster he became was all the bullying and truly evil and horrible things other kids did to him in school.

it's sad because he became so negative he was in a vicious cycle, he just needed a good friend to invest time into talking to him, he was instead all alone, his parents didn\t even care, people go on about him being rich but they forget his own father threw him out of the house.

I wish I could've done something to help the guy, and stop what happened. I know it sounds crazy but I wish I could because honsetly reading the 147 page manifesto was so sad I can't explain
God. *facepalm*

I do not want to step inside the slimy mind of a deranged sociopath.

Wait, who's posting under the name now.
Well quite, we ought to feel sorry for anyone so clearly emotionally unstable. I'm sure I could muster the ability to feel sorry for let's say Dylann Roof, the white supremacist shooter, for much the same reasons. Clearly something wrong psychologically as well as the environmental triggers to bring it out. The Elliot Rodger shooting did highlight issues around dating in the modern economically stagnant Western world similar to what Japan has been experiencing for some time now and which we dismiss, I think, at our peril.

:')
Original post by Tom Jickleson
I, too, read his manifesto, and I did truly empathise with him. Like you, I could feel his pain. There is only so much societal rejection an individual can take before they SNAP.

Reading his manifesto made me realize something I never previously thought about before - what it means to be 'good' or 'evil'. Society classes Elliot Rodger as 'evil' because nobody can empathise with his situation. Hence morality is a social construct, based on the views of what the majority of the population feel. If you think differently from the norm, you are labelled as 'weird', 'evil', 'not right'. As David Icke says, 'our society has out-sheeped the sheep - at least sheep need a sheep-dog to keep them in line, humans keep eachother in line. And they do it by ridiculing or condemning anyone who commits the crime of being different'

I definately think that no one is born evil and he is proof of that, if you read his life story you realize that, he was moulded to be evil and he was so so so misfortunate, all he needed was one good friend to point him in the right direction but he didn't even have that, how horrible it must've been, I can't imagine.
Original post by TheMaster102

I can since I am doing it.

Not once thought about going on a killing spree.

He probbaly was messed up in a way, I can feel sorry for him in the way I can feel sorry for other deranged people who do extreme things. But I feel much more sorry for the innocent people that got killed.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it's a real shame we don't hang, draw and quarter in public anymore. I'd be in the front row with popcorn if they Braveheart-ed him.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I can since I am doing it.

Not once thought about going on a killing spree.

Not even a small one? I can well imagine my death being at your hands.
As far as this guy is concerned, I think Americas gun laws are completely insane, but even without guns he managed to inflict damage. There is some sense when people say that banning guns is not going to solve all their problems with maniacs like this.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Not even a small one? I can well imagine my death being at your hands.

If I was gonna kill anyone it would be myself.

I'm very self criticle. Everything is my fault etc. Like I totally blame myself for my lack of sex.

I know I probably looked like a derange psychopathic loner in that london park... :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest