The Student Room Group

Who's been to the states?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JD1lla
I took my ex on surprise trip to US. I spent months planning, worked my ass off to be able to afford it. Flew business class via British Airways and we went to

California (LA, San Diego) then stayed in a lovely five star hotel in Vegas. Saw the Grand Canyon and that, then flew to Ohio and visited Cedar Point. That big theme park with loads of rollercoasters and crap food. Then drove to Buffalo, Niagra etc to see The Falls, then to Mt Morris, NY. Visited Letchworth State Park. It's known as Grand Canyon of the East. It's all foresty and really nice. Several waterfalls. Then went to New York City. Our hotel was situated in Times Square. $800 for like 3 nights. Amazing. I've also visited San Fran (sorry I know the locals hate it being called this)

Was really romantic. Cost me many thousands. Broke up on our last day in NYC.

My hotel in New York was $1800 this summer for 4 nights, $800 is cheap for new York.
Original post by MrKmas508
I've gone to Florida,I loved the first couple of days but I got a bit sick of it. I was glad to be home after.

I stayed in Florida for five weeks two years ago. It was actually ok, it was better than staying at home but I found it quite boring near the end.
New York (Crazy expensive)
New Jersey
Las Vegas (Best place in your 20s/30s)
California (Yep the lot my grandad lived in LA for a while)
Miami
Detroit (No thanks)
Chicago (Trump hotel awesome)
Seattle (Never liked it one bit)

been to a few others too. USA is a mixed bag. But would love to move to San Diego!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by Frostyjoe
My hotel in New York was $1800 this summer for 4 nights, $800 is cheap for new York.

I got 20% discount, but yeah what hotel you staying at? And did you go in July? I was in August so I imagine prices were cheaper then.
Reply 124
Original post by Bill_Gates
New York (Crazy expensive)
New Jersey
Las Vegas (Best place in your 20s/30s)
California (Yep the lot my grandad lived in LA for a while)
Miami
Detroit (No thanks)
Chicago (Trump hotel awesome)
Seattle (Never liked it one bit)

been to a few others too. USA is a mixed bag. But would love to move to San Diego!

I stayed in the Trump in Vegas. It was lovely, I paid like $36 per person per night in that place.
No I went in August and my hotel was 'The World Center Hotel' beside the World Trade Center.
Original post by JD1lla
I stayed in the Trump in Vegas. It was lovely, I paid like $36 per person per night in that place.

I seen the prices, really good value. But it's far off the strip. I stayed at four seasons, bellagio and cosmopolitan (Half a night at treasure island, don't ask).

Cosmopolitan was best just for the scene.
Reply 127
No I went in August and my hotel was 'The World Center Hotel' beside the World Trade Center.

Wow that's so expensive? I was right on Times Square

check it out

https://www.citizenm.com/destinations/new-york/new-york-times-square-hotel

They're doing doing free rooms in NYC, London in a few days as part of a competition so do check it !
Reply 128
Original post by Bill_Gates
I seen the prices, really good value. But it's far off the strip. I stayed at four seasons, bellagio and cosmopolitan (Half a night at treasure island, don't ask).

Cosmopolitan was best just for the scene.

What is the strip? Las Vegas Blvd? If so, it was a few mins walk?
Original post by JD1lla
Wow that's so expensive? I was right on Times Square

check it out

https://www.citizenm.com/destinations/new-york/new-york-times-square-hotel

They're doing doing free rooms in NYC, London in a few days as part of a competition so do check it !

Not really, it's a medium range price. New York is just really expensive, I priced the Trump Hotel there and it's £600 a night.

I'm going to go back again this summer so I've had to start saving early.
Original post by JD1lla
What is the strip? Las Vegas Blvd? If so, it was a few mins walk?

Trump it was a bit further up. Read about a few shootings around there so decided not to.
Not really, it's a medium range price. New York is just really expensive, I priced the Trump Hotel there and it's £600 a night.

all depends on the time of year, New york is pretty weird in terms of it's events schedule. Some months are just mad, whereas others are reasonable.
Reply 132

Well do check out the link I sent you it's $159 a night but you get 10 - 20% discount for first booking. It's rated 20th out of the hotels in NYC on TripAdvisor (although I would take this with a pinch of salt)

It's more for couples, the bed is so comfy and huge and you everything is controlled via a tablet, i.e. the rooms lighting, movies and for some reason you can change the colours on the bathroom or make it multi coloured or whatever.
No, we booked the hotel that we stayed in because of it's location and the fact that it had a kitchen. When we go on holiday, we like to get a condo/villa and if not a place with a kitchenette.
Reply 134
No, we booked the hotel that we stayed in because of it's location and the fact that it had a kitchen. When we go on holiday, we like to get a condo/villa and if not a place with a kitchenette.

Ah fair, I cook enough as it is at home so when on holiday, it's the gourmet dining experience for me :biggrin:
Reply 135
When I was in the US last May/June, I visited Vermont state, Boston, New York City, Philidelphia, Baltimore and finally Washington D.C. and New York city is where I would love to go back to and visit again the most! :cool: :yep:

In NYC my favourite places I visited were the Empire State Building and One World Trade Centre Observatory.
Original post by grvcex97
Just curious.. who here has visited the U.S.?
Where did you go and what for? Did you enjoy it?
Anybody have yet to and want to visit America?
I wouldn't go to the US because I would be afraid of being shot. I've heard at least 5 cases in the news over the last 6 months of psychopaths going on murderous killing sprees in universities and other places. Until you change your gun laws, I am never going to the US.
Reply 137
Original post by snowman77
I wouldn't go to the US because I would be afraid of being shot. I've heard at least 5 cases in the news over the last 6 months of psychopaths going on murderous killing sprees in universities and other places. Until you change your gun laws, I am never going to the US.

Don't be childish.
I live in the states, but I haven't got to see much of anything nice here. I've been stuck in the Dallas area for almost my entire life.

The nicest place I've ever seen here is probably New York City, and I had to walk between several subway stations because I went with my friend who was running a marathon for charity, and thus no buses or cabs were available. My feet were bleeding at the end of the day because I wore new shoes and walked at least ten miles. No one told me that would be the case, or I would have refused to go.

I got to see the Statue of Liberty from the air, passed by Trump Tower and a few old cathedrals, and an official Nintendo store (although I didn't go inside). I saw a few rundown neighbourhoods in Queens with a lot of orthodox Jewish people, and stayed with five or six people who were visiting her in a tiny apartment that had bars on the windows. I also brought everyone food at this fairly expensive place (I had a good job working for my Dad at the time) and got scolded by my friend for asking the waitress for a refill rather than getting up and going to get it myself. The waitress was an Asian lady who didn't mind at all, but apparently it's rude to ask for refills up in Yankee territory because they're more egalitarian up there or something. Aside from that, I got to go the Cheesecake factory and buy a lot of candy from FAO Schwartz. I think we also ordered in from an Italian place, and spend half the weekend in her apartment watching old Doctor Who episodes on Netflix because she had a concussion from slipping on ice during the marathon, and I had bruised feet.

Other than that New York trip, though, I've only been to Alabama and Virginia. I got to see an old lighthouse in Virginia, and apparently there's a mountain named after some of my relatives in Alabama. We spent a weekend on the mountain, and I spent most of it in the hotel room on my computer. We also got to see my Mom's birthplace in Anniston, and my Grandma's high school in Oxford. People seemed a lot nicer and more polite back east than they were in Texas, from what I could tell.

Oh, and I also went down to some really rural town called New Braunfuls or something in South Texas, because my aunt moved down there from Virginia. I hate that place because everyone down there is as dumb as dirt. Everything is unsanitary and covered in flies. There are no street lights, gravel roads, and tons of scorpions. She lives in the middle of nowhere. I've refused to visit her more than once every five years because I can't stand the place she lives... I'd have preferred an excuse to go to Virginia over an obligation to go to South Texas. Ugh. The only part of the trip I liked was passing through San Antonio and Austin on the way back, because there was a nice place with glass-bottom boats and interesting marine life, and I also got to see the Texas capitol building.

That's pretty much every place I've ever been outside of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by snowman77

Don't be pathetic.

Quick Reply

Latest