The Student Room Group

Moving from private to state for sixth form

So I’ve just done my GCSE’s in a private all girls school that I have been at since I was 9. Because I’ve always been private in my education me and my parents decided that state sixth form would be a good opportunity to adjust to a different environment and prepare me better for uni. I‘m now starting to regret that decision. All the sixth forms I’ve applied to are state so there is no changing it now, but when I went to the induction days it was just so overwhelming and busy (and to be honest the schools themselves were not in a great state) I really hadn’t expected sunshine and rainbows, and I am very aware of the fact that my private school is not real life at all, but I’m terrified of state. The people are so different to me, the teachers are not as dedicated and good as the ones I used to have, and the place I’m going to just seems cold and isolating. Not looking forward to the next two years. Any advice?
Original post by sophie24758
So I’ve just done my GCSE’s in a private all girls school that I have been at since I was 9. Because I’ve always been private in my education me and my parents decided that state sixth form would be a good opportunity to adjust to a different environment and prepare me better for uni. I‘m now starting to regret that decision. All the sixth forms I’ve applied to are state so there is no changing it now, but when I went to the induction days it was just so overwhelming and busy (and to be honest the schools themselves were not in a great state) I really hadn’t expected sunshine and rainbows, and I am very aware of the fact that my private school is not real life at all, but I’m terrified of state. The people are so different to me, the teachers are not as dedicated and good as the ones I used to have, and the place I’m going to just seems cold and isolating. Not looking forward to the next two years. Any advice?

Hi @sophie24758

I understand how you're feeling, and it's okay to feel overwhelmed and unsure about your situation.

From completing sixth form myself, I do think your experience is what you make of it. For example, getting involved in extra curricular activities, trying to get involved with some new people, and working hard in your classes. I'm sure there are teachers at your new school who are dedicated and invested in their students, but I can understand your concern, especially about how busy the school is.

It will probably take some getting used to, and although they may not be from private education, I'm sure there will be other students who will be new to the school too.

I think your decision will be a good transitional phase between your old school and university, so if you think of your sixth form experience as preparation for your next stage, it may help you to think more positively about your new school. Your mindset will help you the most, so try and stay positive, and give everything a try - you may be surprised about how it all turns out.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by sophie24758

bruh chill, its just a school. just go there and study.
Reply 3
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @sophie24758

I understand how you're feeling, and it's okay to feel overwhelmed and unsure about your situation.

From completing sixth form myself, I do think your experience is what you make of it. For example, getting involved in extra curricular activities, trying to get involved with some new people, and working hard in your classes. I'm sure there are teachers at your new school who are dedicated and invested in their students, but I can understand your concern, especially about how busy the school is.

It will probably take some getting used to, and although they may not be from private education, I'm sure there will be other students who will be new to the school too.

I think your decision will be a good transitional phase between your old school and university, so if you think of your sixth form experience as preparation for your next stage, it may help you to think more positively about your new school. Your mindset will help you the most, so try and stay positive, and give everything a try - you may be surprised about how it all turns out.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Thank you, it’s been a while since I posted this and I feel a bit better about it now, reading this also helped :smile: have a nice summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending