The Student Room Group

GCSE Biology Help

Hi! I've started some GCSE biology revision and I need a bit of help with regards to stem cells. The specification states students must understand:
-the ethical implications of the applications of stem cell research
-the need for government control of this research to protect the public
-the need for validation of this research (for example by peer review)

If someone could elaborate on each of these points it would really be appreciated! My exam board is CCEA if it helps.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by holly1211
Hi! I've started some GCSE biology revision and I need a bit of help with regards to stem cells. The specification states students must understand:
-the ethical implications of the applications of stem cell research
-the need for government control of this research to protect the public
-the need for validation of this research (for example by peer review)

If someone could elaborate on each of these points it would really be appreciated! My exam board is CCEA if it helps.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

You'll probably get taught about all of this during your lessons, so here's just a very brief overview.

Stem cells can be allocated into different classes, such as omnipotent, pluripotent, multipotent ect...

Stem cells which can differentiate into any type of cell are classed as pluripotent. These can only be obtained by embryonic cells, which as you can imagine will cause various ethical debates about whether we should be allowed to take them or not.

Stem cells have a huge potential in the medical industry, and a few scientists have gone as far as to say they can cure any disease with the right tools and applications.

However, we are far from this being the case. The government needs to control research on this topic since a lot of animals who will donate their stem cells will be killed. There are also dangers of uncontrolled stem cell research.

You'll need to understand how fragile stem cell research is, and how research is hindered by ethical restrictions. This can be done by reading up on what stem cell research involved, how stem cells are obtained and what ethics are.

I hope this gives you a basic insight :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Eloades11
You'll probably get taught about all of this during your lessons, so here's just a very brief overview.

Stem cells can be allocated into different classes, such as omnipotent, pluripotent, multipotent ect...

Stem cells which can differentiate into any type of cell are classed as pluripotent. These can only be obtained by embryonic cells, which as you can imagine will cause various ethical debates about whether we should be allowed to take them or not.

Stem cells have a huge potential in the medical industry, and a few scientists have gone as far as to say they can cure any disease with the right tools and applications.

However, we are far from this being the case. The government needs to control research on this topic since a lot of animals who will donate their stem cells will be killed. There are also dangers of uncontrolled stem cell research.

You'll need to understand how fragile stem cell research is, and how research is hindered by ethical restrictions. This can be done by reading up on what stem cell research involved, how stem cells are obtained and what ethics are.

I hope this gives you a basic insight :smile:

Thanks Eloades! We've already covered the topic of stem cell research in class but it wasn't taught to the specification. When you say about 'animals' donating their stem cells and subsequently being killed do you mean animals such as dogs, cats etc. or do you include humans? Thanks again! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending