The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

DONE!!! Just waiting for references then I can send... they were both warned well in advance so hoping it doesn't take too long!!!
Checked my application and sent it off, now realised I've entered my skills test dates as December 2016 not 2015 :s-smilie: . UCAs recommended contacting unis directly about this once my references are sent, and I've told one of my referees about the error, but does anyone think this will effect my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm part way through my statement now. 29 lines/2,000 characters.

I'm not sure how to make the first part of my statement less cringey though. And Cambridge stress on their website that they want people with strong subject knowledge so I've included a few lines about how I've studied the authors that come up a lot at A Level. I'm worried that this bit is too long though and that I don't convert enough enthusiasm for working with young people...

Also, for anyone currently working on their statements, if you go to the 'Page Layout' tab in Word, you can turn on the line numbers option so you can keep an eye on how many you've got left easily!
Original post by Aemiliana
I'm part way through my statement now. 29 lines/2,000 characters.

I'm not sure how to make the first part of my statement less cringey though. And Cambridge stress on their website that they want people with strong subject knowledge so I've included a few lines about how I've studied the authors that come up a lot at A Level. I'm worried that this bit is too long though and that I don't convert enough enthusiasm for working with young people...

Also, for anyone currently working on their statements, if you go to the 'Page Layout' tab in Word, you can turn on the line numbers option so you can keep an eye on how many you've got left easily!

Also make sure that you have max 80 characters in each line.

I had to rewrite my statement quite a few times; but I think it's easier to do it after you have written the whole statement as then you can see what you want to include and what you can leave out.
Original post by *tango*
Also make sure that you have max 80 characters in each line.

I had to rewrite my statement quite a few times; but I think it's easier to do it after you have written the whole statement as then you can see what you want to include and what you can leave out.

I've been using Verdana in size 12 and both Word and UCAS say I've got 12 lines left so hopefully that's 80 characters per line!

Yeah, I'm trying to hold off redrafting until I've written it all but I've already had to go and rephrase some things to get a few more lines for my last few bits!
Original post by purplefish92
Checked my application and sent it off, now realised I've entered my skills test dates as December 2016 not 2015 :s-smilie: . UCAs recommended contacting unis directly about this once my references are sent, and I've told one of my referees about the error, but does anyone think this will effect my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would imagine they will know it's an error :smile:
Hi guys, Regarding the job roles and school experience section, did you write a full description for them or did you use bullet points. I will be writing a full desription for my school experiences and my current role as a TA but all my other jobs as a sales assistant, will it be necessary?
Original post by Bena0202
Hi guys, Regarding the job roles and school experience section, did you write a full description for them or did you use bullet points. I will be writing a full desription for my school experiences and my current role as a TA but all my other jobs as a sales assistant, will it be necessary?

I wrote bullet point type descriptions for all of them, including coffee shop/sales assistant type jobs, but elaborated more on the school based stuff :smile:
I'm nearly done with my application now! I just need to redraft my PS to reflect the advice of the careers advisor and fill out my work experience section.

The careers advisor said that bullet points are fine for the work experience bit but it's up to you (and obviously advice will probably vary from uni to uni!)
Well done to all those who have applied and good luck to those completing their forms now. I am not quite ready yet, still deciding where to apply! I'm sure I will have lots of q's when I start filling out the form :wink:.
I only included teaching experience, were we supposed to include job experience ect? As I have other stuff like sports captaincy I could have included.
Hope everyones applications are going well! so much time spent waiting for this moment, feels strange its all here at once!

Ive just edited my statement enough to fit it within the 47 lines after a day of changing things around, but thats without spaces between paragraphs!

Do you think it will matter that much if theres no space between paragraphs? I looked at it in the view all section and it definitely looks readable because the lines at the end of each paragraph aren't completely full.

I thought I had been so prepared!
Original post by TunaTunnel
I only included teaching experience, were we supposed to include job experience ect? As I have other stuff like sports captaincy I could have included.

I think school direct salaried have to but I'm only including my jobs that are in schools/in a teaching capacity as I'm applying for PGCEs.

Oooh, we're stickied!
First reference has been submitted. Trying to resist the temptation to hound the other one, it hasn't been 48 hours yet. Unsure how long to leave it before chasing the other though as I'm applying for a competitive course so time is of the essence.
Original post by JaneBaratheon
First reference has been submitted. Trying to resist the temptation to hound the other one, it hasn't been 48 hours yet. Unsure how long to leave it before chasing the other though as I'm applying for a competitive course so time is of the essence.

My first did it immediately and I hounded my second ref within about half an hour of sending the request... Paid off though because they'd done it within the hour and now it's sent off :tongue:
Original post by ChancedTravels
My first did it immediately and I hounded my second ref within about half an hour of sending the request... Paid off though because they'd done it within the hour and now it's sent off :tongue:

Going to give him an email tonight and a call tomorrow. Tempted to appear at his office if it's not done by the weekend...
That's the same with me, one reference done ... Still waiting for the other one !
DONE! Hallelujah! :adore:

I can't believe I just spent 2 whole days filling the form. I thought I was prepared, haha.
Original post by ChancedTravels

That's fantastic! :smile: Congrats ... the waiting game has started for you.
Hi everyone, first time posting on here but second time for my PGCE application, first one didn't work out thanks to an accident.

The personal statement was my biggest headache but because I am going after computer science I got assigned with an advisor through the teaching agency.

In my opinion best way to approach the personal statement is the same way I write storys. Write a short single sentence for each area in the personal statement, why you want to teach, your subject and you love for it, work experience and what you learnt and the fun skills section, though remember to add a final section showing your enthusiasm.

Most important thing of all is enthusiasm, enthusiasm, and you guess it enthusiasm.

So long story short, application is ready to be submitted but I am waiting until after half term to talk with the programme coordinators who are also my work experience placements.

My last time around work experience was one of the most important aspects of my application, but hey thats my two cents.

Also is there anyone else going for PGCE Computer Science?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending