The Student Room Group

How to tell if you would be good at Maths?

Scroll to see replies

That's a very rare case.lol
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Most of GCSE maths is pretty obvious stuff that you can pick up by just attending lessons. A Level gets into more conceptually challenging topics, plus it demands far more in terms of algebraic manipulations.
But that's not to say A Level is all that hard. I suspect GCSE success probably is more closely correlated with ability than A Level success. I have a friend who did better than me in UKMT SMC and some kind of IQ-test style mathematical thing we did a long time ago and he got a U in A level while I got an A*. Simply because I worked hard on maths and he did nothing. At GCSE any student with some mathematical inclination can hardly fail to do decently.
Reply 21
Original post by Duke Glacia
Were you interested in maths at School ?

until Year 9 I was going to become a lawyer

in Year 10 a chemist (my uncle was Head of Chemistry at a Greek University so he was a great influence to me)

in Year 12 I hated Chemistry, I begun to like Physics and by only by the end of Year 13 I started enjoying Maths
Reply 22
That's a very rare case.lol

Yeah the school wouldn't let him drop it for some unfathomable reason (despite E at AS) so he just did literally nothing. Similar to my approach to the Welsh Baccalaureate for a while until I was finally able to get rid of it. :colonhash:
Original post by TeeEm
until Year 9 I was going to become a lawyer

in Year 10 a chemist (my uncle was Head of Chemistry at a Greek University so he was a great influence to me)

in Year 12 I hated Chemistry, I begun to like Physics and by only by the end of Year 13 I started enjoying Maths

That's very interesting. Youre interests really varied .....
I wanted to be a wwe prowrestler when i was small but now i really dont know what to become.
This is just a genaral question but which do you think is tough. Step 3 or imo ?
Reply 24
That's very interesting. Youre interests really varied .....
I wanted to be a wwe prowrestler when i was small but now i really dont know what to become.
This is just a genaral question but which do you think is tough. Step 3 or imo ?

I never got involved with neither but most students here claim IMO is harder
You didn't like bmo type of questions right ?
Thats wgat i like in bpho you get to think for a while and answer(like step(
Yeah the school wouldn't let him drop it for some unfathomable reason (despite E at AS) so he just did literally nothing. Similar to my approach to the Welsh Baccalaureate for a while until I was finally able to get rid of it. :colonhash:
Reply 26
You didn't like bmo type of questions right ?
Thats wgat i like in bpho you get to think for a while and answer(like step(

Maybe I've never given myself enough time to try and answer them but I still don't think I've ever even completed a BMO1 question lol. Thankfully I had an "off day" with SMC to put it lightly so didn't have to take part. To be honest I find STEP and indeed university maths so far infinitely more accessible. Funnily enough the first of the fortnightly tests we get for one module was very much SMC-like in style but I found it easy so perhaps I would have more luck with UKMT nowadays.
Original post by TeeEm
I never got involved with neither but most students here claim IMO is harder

By any chance was klaus roth your lecturer ?
I think anyone who does well on step has the flair for maths.btw What's your ambition ?
Maybe I've never given myself enough time to try and answer them but I still don't think I've ever even completed a BMO1 question lol. Thankfully I had an "off day" with SMC to put it lightly so didn't have to take part. To be honest I find STEP and indeed university maths so far infinitely more accessible. Funnily enough the first of the fortnightly tests we get for one module was very much SMC-like in style but I found it easy so perhaps I would have more luck with UKMT nowadays.
Reply 29
By any chance was klaus roth your lecturer ?

I remember someone by that surname (but never my lecturer). He was an honorary reader I think.
Original post by TeeEm
I remember someone by that surname (but never my lecturer). He was an honorary reader I think.

He was a fields medalist from ucl.
Original post by defenestrated
actually yeah, my teacher said that even if you get an A* in gcse maths, you could get a U at A level
why???
what's so different?

I think this is something to do with confidence. Some of my friends didn't do as well at A-level despite coming out with great GCSEs because they are over-confident and think they will fly through the A-level Maths course, since they did the same with the GCSE course.
Reply 32
He was a fields medalist from ucl.

do not remember...
I remember a field medallist I think (after my time there) by the name of Keith Ball (prof)
Funnily enough the first of the fortnightly tests we get for one module was very much SMC-like in style but I found it easy so perhaps I would have more luck with UKMT nowadays.

I also found it much easier than SMC so I think it is actually easier. Basic set theory and number theory so trickier in the content but you don't need to think.
Reply 34
I think anyone who does well on step has the flair for maths.btw What's your ambition ?

Well that's a nice endorsement although I never really feel like a proper maths-person or somebody who has some kind of flair for it; more somebody who is extremely pedantic and curious and is just doing maths as one outlet for that...if that makes any sense lol. Ideally I would like to be in academia. Some bizarre part of me is interested in teaching even though I have no social skills; it hardly follows logically but I am interested in writing also (although I suppose that isn't too weird - loads of the writers on The Simpsons were mathematicians lol), and I would probably be open to any job that allowed me to use the skills and knowledge I shall hopefully obtain in a non-monotonous and engaging fashion. So the tl;dr version is I don't know. :colonhash:
Reply 35
Original post by morgan8002
I also found it much easier than SMC so I think it is actually easier. Basic set theory and number theory so trickier in the content but you don't need to think.

I guess I'm more thinking of the 1-15 questions and at a push 16-20. :tongue: I took the not thinking part to the extreme in one question though and got it wrong; hopefully I will be more vigilant this week...but I think it should get harder as we have covered more complex content. Similar to how analysis seems to get harder every week.
I guess I'm more thinking of the 1-15 questions and at a push 16-20. :tongue: I took the not thinking part to the extreme in one question though and got it wrong; hopefully I will be more vigilant this week...but I think it should get harder as we have covered more complex content. Similar to how analysis seems to get harder every week.

I did the same. For the penultimate(I think) question I read N\mathbb{N} for all the parts instead of Z\mathbb{Z} for two of them. Luckily I had 30 min spare at the end and found the mistake.
Probably will get harder.
Original post by Craig1998
I think this is something to do with confidence. Some of my friends didn't do as well at A-level despite coming out with great GCSEs because they are over-confident and think they will fly through the A-level Maths course, since they did the same with the GCSE course.

So to the op you must work hard even if you are a genius like Andrew wiles. Because scores are what matters and its the only evidence you can show others including uni that you are takented in maths. You can take in competitions and try some step papers. But even for those you need practice to get used to the type of questions. dont come into a conclusion that you suck at maths. So just work hard and find out your true potential !
Andrew wiles worked day and night for six years to solve the fermats last theorum. Even genius needs to wh to show their potential.
I need a dictionary :cry2::cry2:
So maybe like simon singh ?
Well that's a nice endorsement although I never really feel like a proper maths-person or somebody who has some kind of flair for it; more somebody who is extremely pedantic and curious and is just doing maths as one outlet for that...if that makes any sense lol. Ideally I would like to be in academia. Some bizarre part of me is interested in teaching even though I have no social skills; it hardly follows logically but I am interested in writing also (although I suppose that isn't too weird - loads of the writers on The Simpsons were mathematicians lol), and I would probably be open to any job that allowed me to use the skills and knowledge I shall hopefully obtain in a non-monotonous and engaging fashion. So the tl;dr version is I don't know. :colonhash:
Original post by TeeEm
Not everyone.
but a high proportion of failures is simply lack of work and motivation

Can someone who got a B at GCSE get an A at A-Level?

Quick Reply

Latest