The Student Room Group

You know what this is...

hi everyone, so in case you were all wondering I get these maths questions from the 13+ westminster school website. And most of the questions i cannot do :smile: my problem is that i cannot understand these kinds of questions, i only understand the gcse syllabus, not this kind of stuff. These are the questions that i absolutely detest when it comes to maths...
Original post by User23
hi everyone, so in case you were all wondering I get these maths questions from the 13+ westminster school website. And most of the questions i cannot do :smile: my problem is that i cannot understand these kinds of questions, i only understand the gcse syllabus, not this kind of stuff. These are the questions that i absolutely detest when it comes to maths...

Hints:

a) Similar triangles
or
b) Try to view it as a pair of simultaneous equations (you need x-y coords for this)

14. Label the unknown lengths then apply Pythag's theorem repeatedly.

Both of these problems are of the form "make an equation, solve an equation" i.e. you need to use the information given to make an equation involving the unknown thing that you want, then you have to solve the equation. This is a very common pattern in maths problems.
Original post by User23

How much of the questions do you understand so far?
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
How much of the questions do you understand so far?

like 1 :/
Original post by User23
like 1 :/

Okey dokey, no problem :smile:

Which one is it? And what are your workings so far?

Edit: I see atsruser has given hints already so I won't jump in :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Okey dokey, no problem :smile:

Which one is it? And what are your workings so far?

shall i show you the one i acc understand?
Original post by User23
shall i show you the one i acc understand?

That would be very helpful :smile:

And have a look at atsruser's hints if you're stuck.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
That would be very helpful :smile:

And have a look at atsruser's hints if you're stuck.

ok i will do thank you x i will send an attachment in about 10 mins or so

Quick Reply

Latest