The Student Room Group

2016 UK Senior Maths Challenge

So it's the 2015 uk senior maths challenge soon and you guys may want to discuss it here. Could somebody tell me what the common question types are and what I should know how to do in preparation for the challenge, thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey! I did it last year and got a Bronze!

My advice is spend as much time as you can on the questions that lose you the least marks and to check the questions more than once because for some reason they put in trick questions in the exam
Reply 2
Doing this! Got a gold and got through to Kangaroo in the IMC, so hoping to get a gold this year, although I've been practicing and been getting bronzes and golds which I'm not happy about :frown:

There's always a question to do with the year, and I've seen it multiple times with 'what would the remainder be when x is divided by (year) digits of y'

Also, they sometimes want you to use difference of two squares and algebra to come to a conclusion. But definitely brush up on multiplication/addition/subtraction/division skills!
Reply 3
Original post by Gogregg
Doing this! Got a gold and got through to Kangaroo in the IMC, so hoping to get a gold this year, although I've been practicing and been getting bronzes and golds which I'm not happy about :frown:

There's always a question to do with the year, and I've seen it multiple times with 'what would the remainder be when x is divided by (year) digits of y'

Also, they sometimes want you to use difference of two squares and algebra to come to a conclusion. But definitely brush up on multiplication/addition/subtraction/division skills!

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Hey! I did it last year and got a Bronze!

My advice is spend as much time as you can on the questions that lose you the least marks and to check the questions more than once because for some reason they put in trick questions in the exam

Thank you, how does the points system work?
Reply 4
Original post by Lucasium
Thank you, how does the points system work?

You start with 25 points, gain 4 points for every correct answer and lose 1 point for every incorrect answer. You don't lose any marks for leaving questions blank. :smile:
This is my first senior challenge. I did the junior and intermediate. What's the step up like?

Quick Reply

Latest