The Student Room Group

What grades keep a ‘consistent level’ for NYU?

I recently got admitted to NYU and whilst reviewing my acceptance letter there is a section about keep a ‘consistent academic level’ with that of the predicted grades I submitted in the first place.

Those grades were A in English Literature, A* in Government and Politics, and A* in Fine Art.

So basically I am wondering if there will take away my place if I do not achieve those exact grades or if it is more lenient that they make it out to be. I did email them about it but the answer was quite vague and didn’t give me much help.

Thanks for any help! :smile:
@ry7xsfa can probably give some more insight into this but my impression is they expect you to achieve generally similar grades i.e. not suddenly drop to all Bs and Cs without any rationale. This is I think because in the US sometimes high school seniors get "senioritis" after getting their offers and kind of stop really bothering (or even attending) for the remainder of their senior year. I believe those offer clauses are to encourage them to not do that.

So I'd anticipate they'd probably expect As and A*s across your A-levels although they probably are less fussed about which exact grades you get in which exact subjects. Congrats on your offer though, just need to keep working at your A-levels and avoid "slacking off" too much :smile:
Reply 2
normally US universities offers are unconditional so if you dont fail or go beyond c/b I doubt they will rescind your offer. btw can you please tell me your stats that got you in, NYU is my dream school and I'm applying next year as an A-level student so it would really help.
Reply 3
A drop by a grade is unlikely to cause any issue, they are largely talking about consistent falls to, like, the C/D level. Though policies vary by school they rarely rescind unless the drops are as egregious as that. Though, you may get an angry letter in the post somewhere in-between threatening rescission.

Essentially, don't worry about it.
Reply 4
Original post by fare022
normally US universities offers are unconditional so if you dont fail or go beyond c/b I doubt they will rescind your offer. btw can you please tell me your stats that got you in, NYU is my dream school and I'm applying next year as an A-level student so it would really help.

Hi,

So basically I got a 1490 on the SAT, and my predicted grades were A* (Fine Art) A* (Government and Politics) A (English Literature) B (EPQ).

For my extracurriculars, I am currently Head Girl on my school, a member of the Southwark Youth Parliament for London, founded a running club for young people in my area, was also a lead student in year 12, mentored my classmates for mocks in Politics and a volunteer gardener.

I put my duke of edinburgh bronze and silver down in the awards section as well as bronze in UK Maths Challenge

other than that I got some (what I assume to be) pretty great reference from 2 of my teachers and a councillor report, I go to a london state school and had practically no help when it came to any aspect of my application and that was reflected in my references so if you are in a similar position I recommend getting that highlighted somewhere.

I also recommend doing the optional NYU question as it just helps to further highlight your dedication, and if you want maybe go you Early Decision as that is what I did. Finally, I made sure to be as open and honest in my common app essay because i think it is vital for your application, if you wanna see mine as an example let me know.

Apart from that, I wish you the best of luck in your application and maybe hope to see your around campus in 2025 :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by xanths
Hi,

So basically I got a 1490 on the SAT, and my predicted grades were A* (Fine Art) A* (Government and Politics) A (English Literature) B (EPQ).

For my extracurriculars, I am currently Head Girl on my school, a member of the Southwark Youth Parliament for London, founded a running club for young people in my area, was also a lead student in year 12, mentored my classmates for mocks in Politics and a volunteer gardener.

I put my duke of edinburgh bronze and silver down in the awards section as well as bronze in UK Maths Challenge

other than that I got some (what I assume to be) pretty great reference from 2 of my teachers and a councillor report, I go to a london state school and had practically no help when it came to any aspect of my application and that was reflected in my references so if you are in a similar position I recommend getting that highlighted somewhere.

I also recommend doing the optional NYU question as it just helps to further highlight your dedication, and if you want maybe go you Early Decision as that is what I did. Finally, I made sure to be as open and honest in my common app essay because i think it is vital for your application, if you wanna see mine as an example let me know.

Apart from that, I wish you the best of luck in your application and maybe hope to see your around campus in 2025 :smile:

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending