The Student Room Group

does university you go for natural science matter?

I am planning on applying to UEA for natural sciences this year and I want to try do data science and bioinformatics through the course. But what will employability be like if I do go to UEA, especially in America. I am also planning to apply to Nottigham, Warwick, Loughborough and UCL.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by himdjkwndn234
I am planning on applying to UEA for natural sciences this year and I want to try do data science and bioinformatics through the course. But what will employability be like if I do go to UEA, especially in America. I am also planning to apply to Nottigham, Warwick, Loughborough and UCL.

Hi,

I study natural sciences at Lancaster. Whilst I can't speak for employability in America, in my experience in the UK natural sciences degrees in general are quite well regarded as people with the ability to tackle interdisciplinary challenges are increasingly in demand. Often, jobs do not ask for a specific degree title. If you are able to demonstrate the skills and knowledge required for a role through experience at university and in internships/work experience you should have a good chance in an application process. The one thing I'd note is that UEA's natural sciences degree is not accredited by the society of natural sciences https://www.socnatsci.org/accredited-courses/, but this may not be relevant to all employers. Furthermore, UEA has been in the world's top 100 for life sciences in recent years (2021) according to the Times Higher Education table so is probably quite well regarded in the field of bioinformatics. Additionally, it is a is a UK Top 25 university (Complete University Guide 2024).

If you have a specific career/employer in mind, it's worth doing further research to see what they look for in candidates.

Hope this helps,
Becky
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,

I study natural sciences at Lancaster. Whilst I can't speak for employability in America, in my experience in the UK natural sciences degrees in general are quite well regarded as people with the ability to tackle interdisciplinary challenges are increasingly in demand. Often, jobs do not ask for a specific degree title. If you are able to demonstrate the skills and knowledge required for a role through experience at university and in internships/work experience you should have a good chance in an application process. The one thing I'd note is that UEA's natural sciences degree is not accredited by the society of natural sciences https://www.socnatsci.org/accredited-courses/, but this may not be relevant to all employers. Furthermore, UEA has been in the world's top 100 for life sciences in recent years (2021) according to the Times Higher Education table so is probably quite well regarded in the field of bioinformatics. Additionally, it is a is a UK Top 25 university (Complete University Guide 2024).

If you have a specific career/employer in mind, it's worth doing further research to see what they look for in candidates.

Hope this helps,
Becky

Because certain jobs ask whether you have an MSc in bioinformatics, but in UEA they teach bioinformatics as part of their integrated master's course, so would I have to do a separate master's in bioinformatics to get recognition or can you apply for jobs with the masters in natural sciences. Also, can you go into the IT field through natural sciences such as data science?
Although you will not get recognition from the masters in natural sciences, you will gain many skills from the degree which will be useful for different careers. For example, one graduate of Lancaster has gone on to become a Trainee Healthcare Scientist at NHS.
Natural sciences can lead to the IT field. For example, one graduate of Lancaster has gone on to become a Senior Scientist Researcher at AstraZeneca and another has gone on to become a Cloud Solution Architect at Vmware.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Agree with Lancaster Rep You need to get in touch with prospective employers or indeed contact UEA and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending