The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Higher Tier?

I'm currently doing GCSE Maths at my local college, and I'm in a Higher Tier class working from a Higher Tier revision book. The problem is although I know I'm capable of reaching a Higher Tier level, I'm not at it yet, so a lot of Foundation Tier content isn't on the revision book. The really basic stuff like multiplication I can get off the internet, but it makes me worry about just what else the Higher Tier book is missing, and whether I'll need to supplement my current homework with the Foundation Tier just to catch up.

Has anyone else been in this situation, and if so, what did you do about it? Would really appreciate the help, feeling a bit overwhelmed with all there is to learn. Thanks.
I was in this situation.

All you need for a C grade is 30% . this should not be to much to ask.
Reply 2
If you are doing higher tier then it means that you got D or better at your GCSE. So you should remember things you learned at foundation. In the higher paper they would hardly ask foundation question. The only time they might ask you is at the beginning like the first couple questions.

Why don't you look foundation revision guide because I used to use it to revise as it shows you easier ways to workout things.
Start from scratch, that is what I neded to do.
Reply 4
Original post by German123
I was in this situation.

All you need for a C grade is 30% . this should not be to much to ask.

I'm going for an A*. I know I can get it, it's just a matter of how I'm gonna get there.

Start from scratch, that is what I neded to do.

So you worked from both revision guides simultaneously?

Original post by Waliid
If you are doing higher tier then it means that you got D or better at your GCSE. So you should remember things you learned at foundation. In the higher paper they would hardly ask foundation question. The only time they might ask you is at the beginning like the first couple questions.

Why don't you look foundation revision guide because I used to use it to revise as it shows you easier ways to workout things.

I got a D, but all that means is that I scraped enough marks to get a D, not that I have a solid-enough foundation to work off on Higher Tier. Some topics like division and multiplication are so basic that'll naturally make up a lot of marks on any paper. Besides, even if they weren't on the paper, I'd feel like a fraud doing a GCSE in Maths without having learnt them.
Original post by Hashim123
I'm going for an A*. I know I can get it, it's just a matter of how I'm gonna get there.

So you worked from both revision guides simultaneously?

I got a D, but all that means is that I scraped enough marks to get a D, not that I have a solid-enough foundation to work off on Higher Tier. Some topics like division and multiplication are so basic that'll naturally make up a lot of marks on any paper. Besides, even if they weren't on the paper, I'd feel like a fraud doing a GCSE in Maths without having learnt them.

I used the edexcel A work book, past papers, online revision materials and maths watch.

All of the above helped me but what helped me the most is having one to one because It helped me know where I went wrong.

Getting an A* is a huge step up from a D but if you work constantly and start from the basics then you may achieve that.
Reply 6
I used the edexcel A work book, past papers, online revision materials and maths watch.

All of the above helped me but what helped me the most is having one to one because It helped me know where I went wrong.

Getting an A* is a huge step up from a D but if you work constantly and start from the basics then you may achieve that.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated. :smile: I'd rep but I can't rep you again. :laugh:
I would say check the syllabus. This says what a student needs to know and what can come up in the exam. Then from there do some research on the topic and you will find out what you need to know to have knowledge on each certain criteria. Most of the stuff on the syllabus doesn't come up in the exam but it is best to cover all bases. If you need any help on anything then drop me a PM.
Original post by Hashim123
I'm currently doing GCSE Maths at my local college, and I'm in a Higher Tier class working from a Higher Tier revision book. The problem is although I know I'm capable of reaching a Higher Tier level, I'm not at it yet, so a lot of Foundation Tier content isn't on the revision book. The really basic stuff like multiplication I can get off the internet, but it makes me worry about just what else the Higher Tier book is missing, and whether I'll need to supplement my current homework with the Foundation Tier just to catch up.

Has anyone else been in this situation, and if so, what did you do about it? Would really appreciate the help, feeling a bit overwhelmed with all there is to learn. Thanks.

online resources can help you. if you go on this link, https://keshgcsemaths.wordpress.com/gcse-maths-takeaway/
it will show you all the questions that you need to practice. it helped me a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest