The Student Room Group

Senior Maths Challenge 2015 predicted thresholds and past thresholds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rhysh98
i have cut it very fine, but even if i don't get through to bmo i have next year :smile: good luck to you, hope the boundaries are in our favour :smile:

please let the boundaries be in our favour!!
Original post by ajaxkiller
rahhh if ur getting a gold in year 12 thats maddd uno

plus u have next year anyways. people always do way better in the second year because they improve on their math foundations. if ur getting a gold this year i think you might have a solid chance for bmo next year

Are you basing your statement on fact or just plucking stuff out of thin air? Because from what I've personally seen, the scores stay pretty similar for the majority of candidates.
About the same as last year I think, maybe a little higher. Just did (most of) the questions, and the later ones were very easy compared to previous years (though my perception may be skewed due to not being an A Level student anymore) while some of the earlier ones seemed relatively tricky given their position in the paper.
Reply 103
Original post by SCalver
Are you basing your statement on fact or just plucking stuff out of thin air? Because from what I've personally seen, the scores stay pretty similar for the majority of candidates.

It's common sense that people are likely to do better the second year they do the challenge. They've been exposed to more maths so will be more fluent with algebra etc. and know the styles of question being asked.
I personally have done a way better this year than last year (although I did very well in the intermediate yr 11) and that's from knowing more maths and having seen much more of the type of problem in the challenges.
What do you think the approximate boundaries are?
I tried 1-13,17 and 18, but I got 2 wrong. How much would that be??
Original post by Dizgurl
I tried 1-13,17 and 18, but I got 2 wrong. How much would that be??

Should be 75 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
Should be 75 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks, so its a silver..?
Original post by ajaxkiller
rahhh if ur getting a gold in year 12 thats maddd uno

plus u have next year anyways. people always do way better in the second year because they improve on their math foundations. if ur getting a gold this year i think you might have a solid chance for bmo next year

I got Merit in Kangaroo last year and felt I did WAY better in the SMC this year. Still not getting into BMO1... Gonna have to pay, but it doesn't feel nearly as good as qualifying.
Original post by PrimeLime
I got Merit in Kangaroo last year and felt I did WAY better in the SMC this year. Still not getting into BMO1... Gonna have to pay, but it doesn't feel nearly as good as qualifying.

Is it possible to do both the kangaroo and the bmo1?
Original post by swagmister
Is it possible to do both the kangaroo and the bmo1?

Pretty sure you can't. I'm definitely not doing the Kangaroo this year, it just comes as an insult to me. Gonna pay for BMO1.
Original post by SCalver

it's fact that as you grow older your math skills improve, hence your score improves.
if it stays the same, then the test must be higher, but according to the threshold, you have done better than before.

so no, im not plucking stuff out of thin air, its just common sense.
I heard you automatically get an offer from ucl for maths if you qualify for the bmo1 is that true?
When will the actual thresholds be out?
Original post by Dizgurl
When will the actual thresholds be out?

when everyone's papers get marked which is about 3 weeks
Reply 115
Original post by swagmister
I heard you automatically get an offer from ucl for maths if you qualify for the bmo1 is that true?

If you're good enough at maths to get into the BMO you're likely good enough for an offer from UCL. You obviously still need to meet their entry requirements too.
Original post by PrimeLime

Surely if you can't qualify for BMO its not likely that you're going to do very well?
Oh wait Ive done 1-14, 17 and 18 and got 4 wrong :frown: Is that 69?
Original post by SCalver
Surely if you can't qualify for BMO its not likely that you're going to do very well?

That's a bit of an ignorant statement. I answered 21 questions, made silly mistakes on 6, 8 and 12 (I think those are the right numbers) and got everything else right. I don't think that suggests I'm going to do badly in BMO1.
Plus, it's not just about doing well. I just want to experience sitting an olympiad once, since this is the last year I can do so.
Original post by Bruhh
If you're good enough at maths to get into the BMO you're likely good enough for an offer from UCL. You obviously still need to meet their entry requirements too.

I have an offer from UCL for Maths (which I don't plan to accept lol) but I only got Merit in Kangaroo in Year 12. It's probably because of my high AS UMS scores, so I'd say qualifying for BMO isn't that important if very well in your AS M/FM modules.

I don't know about your statement. I've heard about a lot of people who have qualified for BMO1 but not done well in their AS Levels, so UCL probably wouldn't give them offers.

Quick Reply

Latest