The Student Room Group

can I get an overall 2:1?

I got 56% in second year of Uni, can I get an overall 2:1?
Original post by Anonymous

There's no information provided on weighting, so I would presume it's equal weighting for both years.

Using final grade = weigh51*grade1 + weight2*grade2
60 = 0.5*56 + 0.5*x
60 = 28 + 0.5x
32 = 0.5x
64 = x
In other words, you need at least 64% in your third year to secure a 2:1 overall.

I don't know whether the weightings above are accurate or what subject you're doing, so it's going to be difficult to say whether you can finish off with a 64%. If the subject is more essay based and it's in one of the more challenging subjects to score a 1st class, then your chances are a lot slimmer than in other subjects.

Almost certainly, yes.

How does your uni calculate your degree classification? (They all do so slightly differently.)
Reply 3
my second year is worth 25% and third year is 75%
Original post by DataVenia
Almost certainly, yes.

How does your uni calculate your degree classification? (They all do so slightly differently.)
my second year is worth 25% and third year is 75%

OK. So as your third year is worth three times you second year, to offset the 4% "shortfall" in your second year (i.e. the amount by which you were below the 60% threshold for a 2:1) then you only need to be above that same threshold by 1/3 of 4% - i.e. by 1.333%. Let's call that 1.5% to be safe.

A final year score of 61.5% would get you just over the 60% threshold overall - and get you a 2:1. However, it's very possible that the rules are more complicated that you think. Universities will sometimes ignore the worst credits, or ignore the worst credits each year, or round in odd ways, etc. So, to be sure, check your university's academic regulations to establish exactly how they work our your degree classification. (Or just name the university and someone on TSR will know how that particular uni does things.)

Or just aim for the best mark in third year that you can. But you'd have done that anyway, right? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending