The Student Room Group

Senior Maths Challenge 2015 predicted thresholds and past thresholds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Oh wait you're applying for Maths? Yeah most people applying for Maths tend to find Mechanics a lot easier than Statistics, must be because they're found more interesting. I found Mechanics so much more difficult than anything I'd ever sat before it.

Yep, applying for maths at Cambridge, what about you?
I wouldn't say I find mechanics easy, but like you said I find it very enjoyable whereas I find stats horrible. Bit annoying since enjoying stats can land you a lot of good jobs, but if you want to use pure maths in a job, you don't have many options...
Original post by ComputerMaths97
What are you trying to say? That you have more people in your year that like Mechanics? Lmao there's way more factors, but there's a reason the M2 grade boundaires are always so much lower than the S2 ones.

I am saying stop moaning about doing M2 in Year 12 alot of people do it. And those people who did other modules and got straight 100s if they did M2 instead would probably jump up to the challenge and revise to get a very high mark aswell. M2 is like any other exam if you revise you will do well. Thos epoepke who get straight 100s are not dumb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 162
does anyone reckon 103 is high enough to qualify
Original post by Renzhi10122
And I would say that that's a very good plan (though give yourself a rest every once in a while :wink: ).

Quick question, any preference on AOPS books or UKMT books, for BMO1 + BMO2
Original post by 11234
does anyone reckon 103 is high enough to qualify

Yes, unless you're very unlucky.
Original post by SCalver
Quick question, any preference on AOPS books or UKMT books, for BMO1 + BMO2

I must say, I've only read the inequalities one from UKMT, and that was for my personal statement, so I can't give much advice there.
Reply 166
Teacher confirmed I got 112 today :biggrin:
Original post by Dizgurl
Okay thanks, so its a silver..?

Yeah, unless the boundaries change quite a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JakeThomasLee
With 98 on the SMC, what are my chances for the BMO?

Well done! You have a good chance (hopefully the thresholds will drop a little!) but you can pay and enter anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
Well done! You have a good chance (hopefully the thresholds will drop a little!) but you can pay and enter anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt they'll be lowered because the correct answers were posted on TSR early yday by some d-----bag
Original post by PrimeLime
Yep, applying for maths at Cambridge, what about you?
I wouldn't say I find mechanics easy, but like you said I find it very enjoyable whereas I find stats horrible. Bit annoying since enjoying stats can land you a lot of good jobs, but if you want to use pure maths in a job, you don't have many options...

Oh nice :smile: I'm applying for Computer Science with Maths, so I'll still have to get a 1,1 in STEP II and III if an offer comes my way lmao xD
Yeah enjoying things makes them seem a lot easier I guess. I would assume more people enjoy Mechanics than Statistics though tbh.

Original post by physicsmaths
I am saying stop moaning about doing M2 in Year 12 alot of people do it. And those people who did other modules and got straight 100s if they did M2 instead would probably jump up to the challenge and revise to get a very high mark aswell. M2 is like any other exam if you revise you will do well. Thos epoepke who get straight 100s are not dumb

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem strangely irritated, there's no need to be. I completely agree, but you can't deny M2 being harder than D1, especially for Computer Scientists. Dunno why I'm not allowed to state that haha.
Successfully just completed a STEP question about a goat being tied to a barn!
Don't know what this has to do with the SMC but I wanted to say it lol.
Successfully just completed a STEP question about a goat being tied to a barn!
Don't know what this has to do with the SMC but I wanted to say it lol.

That was literally my first step question fully completed lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403
I doubt they'll be lowered because the correct answers were posted on TSR early yday by some d-----bag

Ah yeah, that's not fair though on everyone else is it:/ I'd be very annoyed if they're lowered because of that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah yeah, that's not fair though on everyone else is it:/ I'd be very annoyed if they're lowered because of that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if anything, they'd be put higher as a result, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here, I was just looking through papers at the beginning and it actually looked doable :biggrin:
Original post by Student403
Well if anything, they'd be put higher as a result, right?

I meant heightened sorry! Of course I wouldn't be annoyed if they were lowered haahah, sorry for the confusion

Posted from TSR Mobile
I meant heightened sorry! Of course I wouldn't be annoyed if they were lowered haahah, sorry for the confusion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay don't worry about it :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Haha, I thought someone might comment mentioning they've done that question before. Have you completed your STEP papers already or are you sitting them this year?
Really? Haha, I thought someone might comment mentioning they've done that question before. Have you completed your STEP papers already or are you sitting them this year?

2006 step I was my first paper and probably my most successful weirdly. It did take me like two weeks. Yh I sat step this year but will be resitting step III.(II and III if i need to if i get a cambridge offer).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest