The Student Room Group

Weird sort of question

This is not a maths question, as such, more of a revision question..

I have been told constantly by high maths achievers that understanding maths concepts rather than memorising is essential.

Now, this may seem like a stupid question lol, but, how do you know when you intentionally understand how a concept works in maths and you are not just memorising it?
Reply 1
Try high level questions. If you can do them you understand.
Reply 2
Original post by FamilyFirst

I have been told constantly by high maths achievers that understanding maths concepts rather than memorising is essential.

Now, this may seem like a stupid question lol, but, how do you know when you intentionally understand how a concept works in maths and you are not just memorising it?

i wish pain on you :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by ubisoft
Try high level questions. If you can do them you understand.

Hmm, good idea. Do you know where harder questions can be found especially for C2, FP1 & S1
Reply 4
Hmm, good idea. Do you know where harder questions can be found especially for C2, FP1 & S1

STEP.
Reply 5

Original post by ubisoft
STEP.

STEP is too high/challenging. OP, try Solomon papers.
Kind of difficult to truly understand what's going on at A level. Except things like trig identities etc that are just on their own.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
STEP is too high/challenging. OP, try Solomon papers.

Yeah! I was just looking at STEP papers and they look a bit greek. Where can I find Solomon papers? I have heard about them, are they difficult do you use them?

You know you understand a concept when you can do any question that relates to it! In order to achieve that, practice is essential.

Have a go at some Solomon papers to begin with. Once you're confident of being able to conquer all, then you might want to take a look at STEP too.

I should also add that being able to do the most difficult questions will enable you to do the straightforward stuff without making any mistakes :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah! I was just looking at STEP papers and they look a bit greek. Where can I find Solomon papers? I have heard about them, are they difficult do you use them?

I personally don't, but they pose more of a challenge than normal A-Level papers, go and look at physicsmathstutor.com

Edit: You might be better of looking at MAT instead of STEP.
(edited 8 years ago)
I will do, thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

Quick Reply

Latest