The Student Room Group

Exactly how hard is physics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BlueBlueBells
Thanks :tongue: At least I do still have a few months left before I make my final choice. And yeah, looking through a textbook is a good idea, so again, thanks for the advice :biggrin:

no problemo ! ask the year 12s or 13s in your school what they think of it cos they did the examboard you'll be doing and they've had the teachers you'll have so they can give you more info about what studying chemistry or physics is gonna be like for you

good luck :biggrin:
I currently do Physics A-level and I love it. It can be hard but I'm blessed with a great teacher that makes it sound so easy. I recommend going through the spec and flicking through the textbook to see if it's a subject you are interested in doing.
Original post by aamirac
I currently do Physics A-level and I love it. It can be hard but I'm blessed with a great teacher that makes it sound so easy. I recommend going through the spec and flicking through the textbook to see if it's a subject you are interested in doing.

Spec, okay, thank you!
It's this hard.
Original post by Indeterminate
A-level Physics isn't that hard IMO. If you liked and excelled at GCSE Physics then you'll be fine :smile:

Also, it's worth noting that Physics goes with Maths better than Chemistry does :yep:

In that case, I probably will take physics. I'm guessing there are more career options with physics and maths than with chemistry and maths?
Original post by Life_peer
It's this hard.

Wow. This has really opened my eyes.

I thank you immensely for elaborating.
Wow. This has really opened my eyes.

I thank you immensely for elaborating.

I thought your username read BlueBlueBalls! :mmm:
Original post by Life_peer
I thought your username read BlueBlueBalls! :mmm:

I don't even feel ashamed in saying that you're not the first, and sadly, there is nothing I can do about the name anymore.
AQA Chemistry is a lot harder than AQA Physics, in the fact that Chemistry requires a lot more work than physics
And also if you are taking Further Maths, Mechanics is a topic in both Further Maths and Physics which is soo soo nice- Source: I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A2 level
I'm currently doing phys on OCR B and I'm finding it really difficult. I skimmed the AQA spec this summer and I found that much easier. Tbh it all depends on the exam board (but AQA in general is extra :tongue:)
Original post by Hareve
And also if you are taking Further Maths, Mechanics is a topic in both Further Maths and Physics which is soo soo nice- Source: I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A2 level

I was considering taking those subjects at A-level, but decided I wanted to do something different for one of my options (German). Yep, I guess mechanics really will help if I take physics. Plus, I do procrastinate a lot, so maybe it's best if I stick with the one with less work, heh
In that case, I probably will take physics. I'm guessing there are more career options with physics and maths than with chemistry and maths?

The point is that, if you were to choose subjects that are closely related, then it would be easier for you to convince a university admissions tutor with regards to your degree choice.

Do you have a particular degree subject in mind? :smile:
Original post by peanutbutterjam
I'm currently doing phys on OCR B and I'm finding it really difficult. I skimmed the AQA spec this summer and I found that much easier. Tbh it all depends on the exam board (but AQA in general is extra :tongue:)

Okay, so as long as my school does AQA, it's fine?
Original post by Indeterminate
The point is that, if you were to choose subjects that are closely related, then it would be easier for you to convince a university admissions tutor with regards to your degree choice.

Do you have a particular degree subject in mind? :smile:

Not a particular one, though I do fancy myself to be an engineer of some kind. Too many branches to choose from, though.
GCSE Maths is a better guide for what A-level physics is like.

A-level is basically applied GCSE maths for science.

As someone who has done both Physics and Chemistry A-Level chemistry was much harder for me. But it depends on how comfortable you are with maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Right now, I've only really done physics for two months, and despite getting a top grade at GCSE, there initially is a big jump from GCSE to A-Level. Sixth Forms will keep telling you that about all subjects, and it's really true for Physics, more so than the other Science subjects I'm taking, along with Further Maths. A lot of it is quite easy to wrap your head around, but when it comes to the calculations, the wording of the questions have gotten more complicated and confusing. Other than that, the subject has been quite enjoyable, and if you really love the subject, you should take it.
To work this out, consider calculating the Young's modulus.
Not a particular one, though I do fancy myself to be an engineer of some kind. Too many branches to choose from, though.

In that case I'd recommend one of the following:

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

or

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, German.

because without Chemistry you'd be ruling out the possibility of a Chemical Engineering degree :smile:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
GCSE Maths is a better guide for what A-level physics is like.

A-level is basically applied GCSE maths for science.

As someone who has done both Physics and Chemistry A-Level chemistry was much harder for me. But it depends on how comfortable you are with maths.

Then I should enjoy Physics, since I'd say that Maths is one of my strongest subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest