The Student Room Group

Are ISIS muslims?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sevchenko
Completely different situation. The question you should be asking is: Does interpretation of the Bible, especially the New Testament, give rise to the racial hatred displayed by the KKK? The answer is obviously no. There is no provisions within Christianity that are in line with extremely right wing ideologies it's quite the opposite tbh.

I don't know much about Islam but my understanding is that these terrorist groups around the world have interpreted Islamic source material more rigidly and literally than Muslims in the West. This isn't the first time this has happened, this process has been mirrored in Islamic Spain

Fair point. I stand corrected. My original point was that they are not really Muslim but use it as an excuse in the same way the KKK do but yes, I accept your point.
No because if they are "muslims" then why would they kill many innocent muslims like some of the syrian refugees that we've all heard on the news. They want to take over slowly and create an "islamic state" yet there are lots of muslims fleeing away from them because no one is safe from them. They just attackk everyone, regardless of what gender, faith, religion they are.
Original post by Axious11
Even that would not make me Muslim or anyone else willing to join the cause AFAIK most of the ISIS wannabe are from all over the world.. its just willingness to join the cause and accept Allah

Of course, because it would be you acting in order to join. It was speculation.
Original post by booksandcats
No because if they are "muslims" then why would they kill many innocent muslims like some of the syrian refugees that we've all heard on the news. They want to take over slowly and create an "islamic state" yet there are lots of muslims fleeing away from them because no one is safe from them. They just attackk everyone, regardless of what gender, faith, religion they are.

I don't think a Muslim killing another Muslim automatically debars you from being a Muslim?

Just like if I went out and killed Richard Dawkins, in order to put forward my own atheist ideas wouldn't automatically make me not an atheist. It wouldn't suddenly make me a Hindu/ Muslim/ Christian/ Agnostic etc. A Catholic working on Sundays doesn't suddenly become a non-Catholic because he broke one of the ten commandments and committed a great sin (see ten commandments order of preference).

Very poor argument.
(edited 8 years ago)
No because if they are "muslims" then why would they kill many innocent muslims like some of the syrian refugees that we've all heard on the news.

Because they (ISIS) don't view anyone that opposes them as 'Innocent', nor recognise anyone that do not subscribe to their interpretation of Islam (like shias, sufis and liberal Muslims) as 'True muslims', hence why they (ISIS) kill many Muslims.

They want to take over slowly and create an "islamic state" yet there are lots of muslims fleeing away from them because no one is safe from them. They just attackk everyone, regardless of what gender, faith, religion they are.
Agreed, all though they seem to have a certain amount of hatred and violence reserved for those whom they consider to be 'Unbelievers/Non-Muslims/Kuffars'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AlwaysWatching
I don't think a Muslim killing another Muslim automatically debars you from being a Muslim?

Just like if I went out and killed Richard Dawkins, in order to put forward my own atheist ideas wouldn't automatically make me not an atheist. It wouldn't suddenly make me a Hindu/ Muslim/ Christian/ Agnostic etc. A Catholic working on Sundays doesn't suddenly become a non-Catholic because he broke one of the ten commandments and committed a great sin.

Very poor argument.

What I meant to say to you was that if you research clearly into the holy book of the muslims then you will see that terrorism and murder is NOT allowed.Terrorism is above all murder. Murder is strictly forbidden in the Qur’an. Qur’an 6:151 says, and do not kill a soul that God has made sacrosanct, save lawfully.” 5:53 says, “… whoso kills a soul, unless it be for murder or for wreaking corruption in the land, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind; and he who saves a life, it shall be as if he had given life to all mankind.”You can't 'claim' to be a muslim if you don't follow all the rules in their book, just saying and ISIS clearly are murdering many innocent people so the fact that they aren't following what the holy book in Islam clearly says shows that they aren't muslims.
Yes, ISIS are Muslims.

Just because they're not pretty, doesn't mean they're not Muslim.

Christian fundamentalists are also Christians, as were the Crusaders.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the Prophet Muhammad also took part in various wars and events of great bloodshed.
What I meant to say to you was that if you research clearly into the holy book of the muslims then you will see that terrorism and murder is NOT allowed.Terrorism is above all murder. Murder is strictly forbidden in the Qur’an. Qur’an 6:151 says, and do not kill a soul that God has made sacrosanct, save lawfully.” 5:53 says, “… whoso kills a soul, unless it be for murder or for wreaking corruption in the land, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind; and he who saves a life, it shall be as if he had given life to all mankind.”You can't 'claim' to be a muslim if you don't follow all the rules in their book, just saying and ISIS clearly are murdering many innocent people so the fact that they aren't following what the holy book in Islam clearly says shows that they aren't muslims.

You have shown me evidence that it is a great sin to kill in Islam. You have not shown me evidence that killing is an automatic debarring from Islam, or that by definition Muslims cannot kill. Forbidding something is not the same as automatic disqualification.

Read through my posts in this thread to understand my point. I have already addressed your above points.
(edited 8 years ago)
Of course they are Muslims why is this even a question? Last time I checked they were not quoting the bible or Torah.

Only an idiot would ask if ISIS are made up of Muslims.
Original post by i<3milkshake
Fair point. I stand corrected. My original point was that they are not really Muslim but use it as an excuse in the same way the KKK do but yes, I accept your point.

You think they are not really Muslim? Didn't the prophet Muhummed go on the war path to spread the ideology? Why are his actions ok but not that of ISIS? Both incidents involve/involved murder, rape, paedophillia, torture, religious cleansing all the barbarism you can think of.
Reply 90
Sorry to burst the bubble but most Isis members are either from US or UK oh and they are both sponsored by them and trained although no one admits it.
Original post by Axious11
Sorry to burst the bubble but most Isis members are either from US or UK oh and they are both sponsored by them and trained although no one admits it.

Lol, sorry to burst your bubble but less than 600 are from the UK and less than 200 from the U.S.

Majority are from Syria and Iraq directly or are the 10,000s that make up ISIS not real?

In terms of outside the Islamic world more come from France but still that makes up about 1% or less

Nice try you complete and utter fool hahahahahaha
ISIS seems like little more than a group of psycopaths who are pretending that its agenda has to do with Islam.
What I meant to say to you was that if you research clearly into the holy book of the muslims then you will see that terrorism and murder is NOT allowed.

It seems you should take your own advice, with your misinformation.

Murder is strictly forbidden in the Qur’an. Qur’an 6:151 says, “and do not kill a soul that God has made sacrosanct, save lawfully.”

It all depends on what one considers 'Murder', given Islam definitely sanctions the killing of certain human beings, such as apostates and adulterers.

5:53 says, “… whoso kills a soul, unless it be for murder or for wreaking corruption in the land, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind; and he who saves a life, it shall be as if he had given life to all mankind..

Quite deceptive of you not to quote the full verse, if you did, you would have realized this verse has conditions and was directed specifically to the jews (Children of Israel)...

"Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one it is as if he had saved mankind entirely."

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=5&verse=32

Nor did you quote the next verse after this, which gives permission to punish and kill those who "wage war" and cause "corruption"...

"Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment"

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=5&verse=33

Ibn Kathir clarifies 'Wage war' to mean "oppose and contradict (Islam), and it includes disbelief (of Islam), blocking roads and spreading fear in the fairways."
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=784&Itemid=60

”You can't 'claim' to be a muslim if you don't follow all the rules in their book, just saying and ISIS clearly are murdering many innocent people so the fact that they aren't following what the holy book in Islam clearly says shows that they aren't muslims

ISIS can certainly justify some of their acts by quoting Islamic scripture and as its been said before 'ISIS' hardly considers those who oppose them to be innocent, hence their killings of what we would consider to be innocent Muslims. You also seem to be making 'Takfir' (by declaring ISIS Muslims not to be 'Muslims' ), are you sure you're in such a position to do that?
(edited 8 years ago)
I never got this about the Koran. I mean yeah, sure, it says don't murder, but then it talks about beheading the non believers, stoning other people, etc etc.

The only logic I came come to is that either the Koran is altered by man (no god would contradict themselves so blatantly) or completely false. Or of course the non-believers are seen as less than animals, as "kuffars".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-34574330

I mean the bible contradicts itself which is why no one takes it completely seriously. Critical thinking and intelligence has taught them that if something is contradictory it is not sensible or even possible to follow.
Original post by Gears265
You think they are not really Muslim? Didn't the prophet Muhummed go on the war path to spread the ideology? Why are his actions ok but not that of ISIS? Both incidents involve/involved murder, rape, paedophillia, torture, religious cleansing all the barbarism you can think of.

The Christian crusaders did the same kind of behaviour. The big difference, the huge difference, is that the crusaders are not held up as the person we should model out behaviour on, Jesus is.

Christian idelogy has moved on from the days of the crusades, the holy wars, the death or looking down upon the non-believers, the fanaticism that knows no bounds, etc. I wish others would do the same.
Original post by i<3milkshake
The Christian crusaders did the same kind of behaviour. The big difference, the huge difference, is that the crusaders are not held up as the person we should model out behaviour on, Jesus is.

Christian idelogy has moved on from the days of the crusades, the holy wars, the death or looking down upon the non-believers, the fanaticism that knows no bounds, etc. I wish others would do the same.

In an ideal world these religions would not exist but I hate to point out the fact there are many many more Islamic terror groups running around as compared to Christian groups, that can not be a coincidence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
As a Muslim I agree that there some are verses in the Quran that relate to physical fighting, however when taken out of context, you'll end up with radical Islamists such as ISIS. Which is exactly why Muslims are distancing themselves. If ISIS' version of Islam was correct, you'd have 1.6 billion people walking around in suicide vests.

Let's be realistic.

That's not how psychology works.
The amount of people claiming ISIS aren't Muslims is just disgusting. Clearly the Muslims on this site are completely deluded as to what a Muslim even is. It is these same people who will then go around parading about how so much of the world has been developed thanks to Islam and there are over 1billion Muslims in the world... Yeah. Right. Well then ISIS are some of them 1billion.
The Qu'ran doesn't consider ISIS as Muslims and clearly condemn groups like them. Research 'Khwarij ISIS' on Google and it will tell you everything you need to know about ISIS and how they are not Islamic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending