The Student Room Group

Do Cambridge consider UMS scores for post A-Level Applications?

I got ABBC at AS in history, economics, maths and chem respectively (I've dropped chemistry).
I was originally planning on applying to Cambridge this year for economics had i achieved my predicted grades of 4A's. My teachers - rightly so- have told me to not apply to cambridge this year and if I still wanted to apply there then I can apply next year (2017) and take a gap year. If I were to go down that route, will cambridge still consider the UMS scores of the full a level and as level or do they only consider the full a level grade? Thanks :wink:
I think most offers are above AAAA, check your course first.
Original post by chandmeister
I got ABBC at AS in history, economics, maths and chem respectively (I've dropped chemistry).
I was originally planning on applying to Cambridge this year for economics had i achieved my predicted grades of 4A's. My teachers - rightly so- have told me to not apply to cambridge this year and if I still wanted to apply there then I can apply next year (2017) and take a gap year. If I were to go down that route, will cambridge still consider the UMS scores of the full a level and as level or do they only consider the full a level grade? Thanks :wink:

They usually consider the UMS average for the A Level instead of just the AS (although AS marks are included in the total marks for the A Level so they do have an impact); they will still ask for module marks and use those where necessary. I wouldn't say they consider the full A Level grade -- that would defeat the point of asking for UMS in the first place. Obviously, you'll be in a strong position if you exceed their standard offer, but they'll still probably look at your UMS.

Original post by Noodlzzz

I think he meant he was predicted AAAA for his AS results.
Honestly your chances of getting an offer are slim, even if you do get AAAA. The standard offer is A*AA but the reality is most successful applicants will have higher than that and many may have taken 4 or 5 A2s. Some colleges require Further Maths and STEP exams so you are just going to be disadvantaged even more. Don't take a gap year just on the basis of applying to Cambridge because in reality your chances are low considering the acceptance rate is circa 10% and your predicted grades are below what is typically accepted.
Reply 4

Original post by Noodlzzz

Economics official standard offer is A*AA, but some colleges, and indeed the department, is now at A*A*A.

UMS is also assessed post A-level.

Also, many but not all, Cambridge economists will have Further Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

You will be at a significant disadvantage if you got a B in Maths and with no FM. Economics is a highly mathematical course and you may be better off looking at Oxford.
Economics is moving towards A*A*A offers and to be seriously competitive you may need to be nearer to A*A*A*+ They will indeed look at your full UMS (AS & A2) and the typical successful applicant averages 96% which will be difficult to get close to starting from ABB. Unless you have extenuating circumstances I think it is going to be avery long shot.
Original post by will_jg
Honestly your chances of getting an offer are slim, even if you do get AAAA. The standard offer is A*AA but the reality is most successful applicants will have higher than that and many may have taken 4 or 5 A2s. Some colleges require Further Maths and STEP exams so you are just going to be disadvantaged even more. Don't take a gap year just on the basis of applying to Cambridge because in reality your chances are low considering the acceptance rate is circa 10% and your predicted grades are below what is typically accepted.

I think the OP is saying they were predicted AAAA for AS, he doesnt mention a level grades.
Original post by Colmans
You will be at a significant disadvantage if you got a B in Maths and with no FM. Economics is a highly mathematical course and you may be better off looking at Oxford.
Economics is moving towards A*A*A offers and to be seriously competitive you may need to be nearer to A*A*A*+ They will indeed look at your full UMS (AS & A2) and the typical successful applicant averages 96% which will be difficult to get close to starting from ABB. Unless you have extenuating circumstances I think it is going to be avery long shot.

Agree with everything you said except that they would be better looking at Oxford. Requirement is also A*AA and the acceptance rate is even lower at only 7%. The Oxford E&M course is the most competitive course at Oxbridge.
Original post by LiquidGold
I think the OP is saying they were predicted AAAA for AS, he doesnt mention a level grades.

They stated that they were predicted AAAA at AS however only achieved ABBC.
Reply 9
Original post by will_jg
also A*AA

I'm not sure why you're using 'also' if the person you're quoting specifically mentioned that Cambridge's requirement is often A*A*A \neq A*AA.
Original post by Zacken
I'm not sure why you're using 'also' if the person you're quoting specifically mentioned that Cambridge's requirement is often A*A*A \neq A*AA.

Both Oxford and Cambridge have an A*AA requirement. He merely stated that Cambridge are moving towards A*A*A offers. The requirement however remains the same.
Reply 11
Original post by will_jg
Both Oxford and Cambridge have an A*AA requirement. He merely stated that Cambridge are moving towards A*A*A offers. The requirement however remains the same.

Original post by jneill
but some colleges, and indeed the department, is now at A*A*A.

Reply 12
Original post by will_jg

No. Trinity offers for 2016 entry are confirmed as A*A*A. Other colleges may well be the same.

The department course guide (http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ba/guide.pdf) also says A*A*A. But for some reason they haven't yet changed the course entry requirements on the main page.

Also a post-A2 applicant will really need to exceed that to be competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by will_jg
Agree with everything you said except that they would be better looking at Oxford. Requirement is also A*AA and the acceptance rate is even lower at only 7%. The Oxford E&M course is the most competitive course at Oxbridge.

Economics at Cambridge has a 14% success rate with a known requirement for very high UMS which produces a higher rate of self selection than the need to get A*AA for Oxford. The specific issue for the OP is that he doesn't have FM. 90% of offers at Cambridge go to those with FM, I'm pretty sure the remaining 10% don't go to those with a B in single maths. The PPE course does not prioritise FM, so his A level subjects and probably his abilities are better suited. It would still be a long shot.

Secondly the faculty says Economics is now A*A*A as do the two biggest colleges,Johns and Trinity, with others likely to update soon. Even last year they usually specified A* in maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here are some things that I should have said earlier to clear things up because its causing some confusion I think:
* I was predicted to get 4A's at AS level. I'm predicted 3A's at A2 this year.
* I'm applying this year to UCL, Queen Mary, City, Surrey and Nottingham this year. Tbh, even though they're all good universities I personally don't want to go to them. They've been chosen because they more or less meet the grade requirements that I have. originally wanted to apply to Cambridge, UCL, Queen Mary, Bath and City.
* I m not taking a gap year just because I want to try for Cambridge. I'll only take one if my results were better than expected, in which case I'll try for adjustment and apply to my original list of universities. In terms of what I'm doing in my gap year, I haven't made a concrete decision yet, although I'm looking at internships and voluteering.
* Also this year was fraught with family problems which I feel has affected my performance because all my teachers were confident that I would get 4A's. i've read my UCAS reference and my tutor has mentioned this in my reference explicitly.

I know that chances of getting into Oxbridge are really small. I just wanted to clear this question up. Thanks and apologies for the confusion
(edited 8 years ago)
Here are some things that I should have said earlier to clear things up because its causing some confusion I think:
* I was predicted to get 4A's at AS level. I'm predicted 3A's at A2 this year.
* I'm applying this year to UCL, Queen Mary, City, Surrey and Nottingham this year. Tbh, even though they're all good universities I personally don't want to go to them. They've been chosen because they more or less meet the grade requirements that I have. originally wanted to apply to Cambridge, UCL, Queen Mary, Bath and City.
* I m not taking a gap year just because I want to try for Cambridge. I'll only take one if my results were better than expected, in which case I'll try for adjustment and apply to my original list of universities. In terms of what I'm doing in my gap year, I haven't made a concrete decision yet, although I'm looking at internships and voluteering.
* Also this year was fraught with family problems which I feel has affected my performance because all my teachers were confident that I would get 4A's. i've read my UCAS reference and my tutor has mentioned this in my reference explicitly.

I know that chances of getting into Oxbridge are really small. I just wanted to clear this question up. Thanks and apologies for the confusion

Is there a particular reason why you're so attracted to Cambridge?
As others have explained, it's not very common for someone with similar grades (and a lack of FM) like yours to be accepted to Oxbridge. And also it's looking increasingly likely the minimum requirement for Econ at Cambridge will be raised to A*A*A next year, which many of us have been anticipating for a while now.

I don't know why you have set your heart so firmly on Cambridge, but there're many other universities that offer good economics course at which you may enjoy more. Remember 'getting into Cambridge' is never a goal, but it's just a beginning of extremely demanding and intense and often very stressful 3 years. It is not for everyone.
So before you set your heart even firmer on the idea of going to Cambridge, I want to ask you to
1) think again very carefully why you think you want to go to Cambridge so much,
2) check the context of their course thoroughly and that of other universities to compare (and this is the most important thing in choosing uni) ,
3) do understand and accept Cambridge is never be all and end all.

If the family problem had detrimental effect on your grades this year, you can ask your school to fill and submit an extenuating circumstance form with your application and Cambridge will take that into account, but you will still need to prove you can perform better if it weren't for the circumstance.
Reply 16
... originally wanted to apply to Cambridge, UCL, Queen Mary, Bath and City.
* I m not taking a gap year just because I want to try for Cambridge. I'll only take one if my results were better than expected, in which case I'll try for adjustment and apply to my original list of universities

For the avoidance of doubt, Cambridge does not appear in Adjustment at all. And I doubt if UCL or Bath does for Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending