The Student Room Group

PGCE or teaching assistant job?

I started an early years/primary PGCE last September and suspended in December because I personally felt like I need more experience to cope with the demands of the course and wanted to gain more confidence. In January I got a job as a teaching assistant level 3 which so far, has been such a great experience, I've learnt so much and feel more confident than I did starting my PGCE!
Now I have the option to either go back to my PGCE this September and start the full year again. Or my school have offered me a job for a year as teaching assistant in Reception (I'm currently working in a Nursery class so I'd see some of the children make that transition).

I don't know whether to go back to my course not being 100% sure whether I'm ready or not. Or to stay in the school and reapply for September 2016/17. There are pros and cons with both options. I think part of me feels I want to be a teacher ASAP because technically I'm overqualified to be a TA. But then I'm gaining valuable experience which is sort of like investing in myself to become a good teacher when I start to train.

I just want to feel confident in the classroom and not to let the demands of teaching knock my confidence. But then in terms of pay, I'd be better off as a teacher (though my home situation is working fine atm)

Any advice / suggestions / opinions would be great!!
Original post by Fairy93

I don't know whether to go back to my course not being 100% sure whether I'm ready or not.

This says it all to me. If you are not sure, then stay on with the TA course a bit longer. There is no rush. If you're enjoying it then stick with that until you are 100% about doing the PGCE. I'm coming to the end of my PGCE now and I am looking for support jobs because teaching is not for me. I went in to the PGCE 50/50 about it all and I've stayed that way throughout the whole thing pretty much. If you're not sure then you will be unsure for the whole thing. You need to be eager!

Yes, pay is better as a teacher, but for the sake of your evenings, weekends and holidays it's actually pretty bad pay, imo. I am currently looking at support jobs that will leave me 5-7k worse off than a teaching job, but for the sake of having my own time, I think it's worth it for now.

Good luck with whatever you do though.
Reply 2
Original post by Airfairy
This says it all to me. If you are not sure, then stay on with the TA course a bit longer. There is no rush. If you're enjoying it then stick with that until you are 100% about doing the PGCE. I'm coming to the end of my PGCE now and I am looking for support jobs because teaching is not for me. I went in to the PGCE 50/50 about it all and I've stayed that way throughout the whole thing pretty much. If you're not sure then you will be unsure for the whole thing. You need to be eager!

Yes, pay is better as a teacher, but for the sake of your evenings, weekends and holidays it's actually pretty bad pay, imo. I am currently looking at support jobs that will leave me 5-7k worse off than a teaching job, but for the sake of having my own time, I think it's worth it for now.

Good luck with whatever you do though.

thank you! You are so right, there really is no rush. I guess sometimes I feel like I have to rush to do something with my degree as technically I'm overqualified for a TA job. But yeah I do think I'd gain a lot out of the year and I'm a level three TA which means I teach from teachers plans and can cover when teacher is out on PPA. Which will all be great experience for a PGCE.

When I was on my PGCE it was the long days and workload that I found really difficult so I know how you feel.
Original post by Fairy93
thank you! You are so right, there really is no rush. I guess sometimes I feel like I have to rush to do something with my degree as technically I'm overqualified for a TA job. But yeah I do think I'd gain a lot out of the year and I'm a level three TA which means I teach from teachers plans and can cover when teacher is out on PPA. Which will all be great experience for a PGCE.

When I was on my PGCE it was the long days and workload that I found really difficult so I know how you feel.

I know what you mean about being overqualified. I feel like that when I look for support jobs but then I just have to think about what makes me happy and you should too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi guys,

I recently graduated with a Sociology degree, and am really interested in becoming a teaching assistant but have no idea where to start!

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to get a TA job - I've seen a lot of people say they've done NVQ's in teacher training etc. I was wondering whether I need to do this or if my degree will be enough?

Thank you!
Original post by hruth
Hi guys,

I recently graduated with a Sociology degree, and am really interested in becoming a teaching assistant but have no idea where to start!

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to get a TA job - I've seen a lot of people say they've done NVQ's in teacher training etc. I was wondering whether I need to do this or if my degree will be enough?

Thank you!

You don't need to do an NVQ, but TA jobs will want you to have some experience/training in education. I have heard of people getting TA jobs with just a degree but generally speaking if you apply and the other candidates have been TAs before, or are qualifed teachers/have a TA qualification then they have more experience in education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by hruth
Hi guys,

Thank you!

I graduated in July 2015 and started as a TA this September, and honestly the requirements don't extend much further than a degree and an interest in education. The easiest route is through agencies (there are a lot of them based in London and other major cities, don't know where you are looking!) but they pay a pittance. They generally take recent graduates, as opposed to direct employment through the school, as they're normally looking for someone they can rely on to do a good job (so age/experience matters).

You don't need any other qualifications for a basic TA. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by miaumer
I graduated in July 2015 and started as a TA this September, and honestly the requirements don't extend much further than a degree and an interest in education. The easiest route is through agencies (there are a lot of them based in London and other major cities, don't know where you are looking!) but they pay a pittance. They generally take recent graduates, as opposed to direct employment through the school, as they're normally looking for someone they can rely on to do a good job (so age/experience matters).

You don't need any other qualifications for a basic TA. Good luck!

Wow you're lucky or perhaps the area you're in is a lot different to mine. For TA positions around here you need to have a lot of experience and preferably a level 3 TA qualification. A recent post that came up was for level 1 unqualified TA but they required you to have extensive experience in a school, experience of delivering a phonics scheme, experience of SEN and so much more!
Reply 8
I've been having the same issue as I was about to apply for a pgce but after speaking with teachers and the amount of workload they are expected to complete I have decided against becoming a teacher and staying as a teaching assistant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending