The Student Room Group

Oxbridge USA Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey guys! I applied for physical natural sciences, specifically (astro)physics at Trinity College, Cambridge from the Midwest (southern Wisconsin)! I got offers from Edinburgh and Manchester, so those are solid backups :smile: Are most of you guys going to the UK if you get the chance? I'm afraid my parents won't let me leave the US >.>
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
Do you really believe that most personal statements can be described as straightforward? :lol: Have a look at the personal statement library on this website - they're all real statements and every bit as contrived as essays you might need to write for American universities.

At least you don't have to tell a story with your personal statement and vaguely attempt to tie in your academic qualifications like in American college essays. The whole narrative writing style is what I find contrived about them.
Reply 22
Original post by Regulus
Hey guys! I applied for physical natural sciences, specifically (astro)physics at Trinity College, Cambridge from the Midwest (southern Wisconsin)! I got offers from Edinburgh and Manchester, so those are solid backups :smile: Are most of you guys going to the UK if you get the chance? I'm afraid my parents won't let me leave the US >.>

When did you hear back from Edinburgh? I got an email last week saying they were reviewing my application, but that's about it.
Yeah, my parents are pretty hesitant. I think they'd make an exception for Oxford, and if I can convince them I really want King's they might let me, but they'd rather I stay in the states (I'm applying to Michigan to have a backup here, too). I think they're worried about airfare and me getting homesick? My dad said he's just moving to Oxford if I go, anyway.
Reply 23
Original post by crose
Do you plan on going out there if you get invited?

If I get an interview I plan to go, do you?
Reply 24
Original post by Agax2468
If I get an interview I plan to go, do you?

I hope so! I'd just like to know sooner rather than later so I don't spent $3000 on a plane ticket
Reply 25
Original post by crose
I hope so! I'd just like to know sooner rather than later so I don't spent $3000 on a plane ticket

Same. But if we get in it would certainly be worth it
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
Do you really believe that most personal statements can be described as straightforward? :lol: Have a look at the personal statement library on this website - they're all real statements and every bit as contrived as essays you might need to write for American universities.

I do. The content is really straightforward - just write about why you want to study your subject, and what you've done to demonstrate interest, with a small bit tacked on the end about ECs. It just comes down to phrasing.

On the other hand, I don't even know where to start with the US style "now tell me a story about how you're so interesting". I found the US admissions essays very contrived.

In any case, best of luck to everyone applying this year!
Reply 27
Original post by crose
When did you hear back from Edinburgh? I got an email last week saying they were reviewing my application, but that's about it.
Yeah, my parents are pretty hesitant. I think they'd make an exception for Oxford, and if I can convince them I really want King's they might let me, but they'd rather I stay in the states (I'm applying to Michigan to have a backup here, too). I think they're worried about airfare and me getting homesick? My dad said he's just moving to Oxford if I go, anyway.

I heard from Edinburgh on the 28th :smile: What course are you applying for?
Reply 28
Original post by Regulus
I heard from Edinburgh on the 28th :smile: What course are you applying for?

English literature! You?
Reply 29
Original post by crose
English literature! You?

Astrophysics. Best of luck to you!! :smile:
Reply 30
Hey everyone! I applied for Law/Jurisprudence at Balliol College, Oxford, and I'm from San Francisco.
I have an interview at New for law. I'm a U.S. citizen outside the U.S. but I took U.S. qualifications (APs/SATs). I'm applying to mostly Ivys in the U.S.
Original post by humortime
Duke is great, they definitely look at people who take a foundation year more highly than those right out of high school. I got a 65.5 last year, 65.3 on CR and 65.8 on PS, so I definitely had room to improve there. Thanks, you too! Planning on going to Oxford for interview if you're offered on?

Can you tell me what makes you say that people who took a foundation year are looked on more highly? I'm a freshman at an American university and I didn't even list it on UCAS. Now you're making me think I should have..
Original post by Baloney1011
Can you tell me what makes you say that people who took a foundation year are looked on more highly? I'm a freshman at an American university and I didn't even list it on UCAS. Now you're making me think I should have..

Isn't it somewhat common sense? You're furthuring your study and knowledge of your intended subject, which is something Oxford values. I can't find any websites to link you to, but it's definitly something I've seen on TSR. Aditionally, I emailed my college's admissions office about wether I would be required to finish my year if I were offered a spot, and they said that a conditional offer may be issued on the basis of me completing the year here and sending a transcript, which goes to show that it could definitly factor into the decision. I don't know if you're taking any courses that are relevant to your course, but I'm taking Mathematics for Economics 1 and 2(Higher-level applied Calculus), International Economics, and Linear Algebra this year which all are important to E&M.
I'm an American applicant for PPE at Christ Church. I'm from the Boston area, applying with 2360 SAT, 5s on six AP tests and 4 more predicted 5s, and some SAT Subject test scores. In the US, I've applied early to Harvard. I think the TSA went fine; I've been scoring around 73-75 on the practice papers.
Original post by Baloney1011

I'm actually pretty sure you must list that on UCAS. You're supposed to enter all academic qualifications, including those which are pending.

I think you might want to contact UCAS or the universities you're applying to and perhaps explain that the non-disclosure was accidental. My tutors took a student who had failed to disclose that he was currently enrolled as a freshman in another university (for the same subject). He got into a lot of trouble, and was very nearly kicked out (ended up switching colleges) because my tutors felt that he had acted dishonestly. His studies would have meant that he'd have an unfair advantage in the admissions process compared to school leavers, as he knew more about the subject.
Hey guys. Any interviews? (I got called to interview for PPE at St Anne's)
Original post by american_human

History at LMH from the 9th to the 11th :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by american_human

Merton and Wadham, biological sciences
Not an American, but I took the SAT/APs and I got an interview from LMH for PPE!
I felt like I bombed the TSA too...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending