The Student Room Group

I was wondering which pathway would be better for me...

So I want to study some sort of Engineering at Uni, not sure if it will be chemical, bio, or mechanical and so on...that's why I was hoping to leave my options open and do the triple sciences( A Levels) and that leaves one option which would have to be Math.

I would like to get into the IT, mechanical part of it much more so I can apply it towards fields of bio...but do I really need bio to do, let's say, the building of machinery at a hospital? Keeping in mind that I am not actually sure of what I want to do in my life, would it be better to take Triple science and math or two sciences and math with further math since I heard further math is quite good, especially for engineering. However, teachers have told me that it's not necessary. I ,honestly, am confused about what would be the best options to take. I enjoy all the sciences and would like to do all of them...but I am not sure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I would say FM is much more useful than bio for engineering. Me and my best friend are compsci/engineering applicants respectively and we both take the equivalent to Further Maths (we're IB weirdos, sorry) because it's basically a minimum. It's not that you absolutely need FM to understand an engineering course- but it would be useful and the vast majority of your competitors applying for an Engineering uni place will have it so you put yourself at a disadvantage by not having it. I'm interested in neuroscientifical/biotechnological applications of CompSci but there are a lot of courses that offer that and NONE of them ask for biology but ALL of them ask for as much maths as possible. So, yeah. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:
Thank you ^.^ I am sort of new to this website so I don't really know where everything goes and so on...but thank you again.
Original post by Romula
I would say FM is much more useful than bio for engineering. Me and my best friend are compsci/engineering applicants respectively and we both take the equivalent to Further Maths (we're IB weirdos, sorry) because it's basically a minimum. It's not that you absolutely need FM to understand an engineering course- but it would be useful and the vast majority of your competitors applying for an Engineering uni place will have it so you put yourself at a disadvantage by not having it. I'm interested in neuroscientifical/biotechnological applications of CompSci but there are a lot of courses that offer that and NONE of them ask for biology but ALL of them ask for as much maths as possible. So, yeah. Good luck! :smile:

This has cleared it up so much for me. Thank you. I have some questions...would taking Computer science be of more use than bio since the engineering world is heavily IT based. Could you also tell me what sort of work you would be doing in the field of neuroscience/ bio-tech (and I am surprised that they don't really ask for a biology qualifications but thanks for clearing that up)?
Reply 5
Original post by Ilovelovelegends
This has cleared it up so much for me. Thank you. I have some questions...would taking Computer science be of more use than bio since the engineering world is heavily IT based. Could you also tell me what sort of work you would be doing in the field of neuroscience/ bio-tech (and I am surprised that they don't really ask for a biology qualifications but thanks for clearing that up)?

Yeah, computing would be useful but if it's a choice between that and FM- a choice between anything (apart from maths/phys and maybe Chem, really) and FM- I would pick FM. And I'm not sure where it would lead exactly- I'm interested in all aspects of CompSci, really, I was just giving bio-related examples- but I wanted to show that you can study a biologically-relevant aspect of a largely physical subject without the need for bio A level. :smile:
Alright, thank you. I might drop biology and just take FM instead. :biggrin:
Reply 7
That would probably be best, engineering-wise- but please feel free to ask other people! I'm not an Eng student, I just know a lot of them.
Original post by Romula
That would probably be best, engineering-wise- but please feel free to ask other people! I'm not an Eng student, I just know a lot of them.

Yea...I will ask around. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest