The Student Room Group

Queen on Paris: We're all immigrants

Queen of Pop MADONNA weights in!

Madonna is making a plea for world peace following the deadly Paris attacks on Friday, Nov. 13.In an Instagram note addressed “To: The World,” “From: My Rebel Heart," the pop star stressed that all people are immigrants who “bleed the same color. We are all ONE,” she wrote on Friday. “Pray For Peace! In Paris and all around the World.”
&amp ;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp ;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp ;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp ;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;br&a mp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;amp;gt;
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6762491/madonna-on-deadly-paris-attacks-we-are-all-immigrants

Also made a speech during Rebel Heart Tour, performing 'Like a Prayer':
[video="youtube;AoGTJJB8f24"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoGTJJB8f24[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Toy Gun
Queen of Pop MADONNA weights in!

Madonna is making a plea for world peace following the deadly Paris attacks on Friday, Nov. 13.In an Instagram note addressed “To: The World,” “From: My Rebel Heart," the pop star stressed that all people are immigrants who “bleed the same color. We are all ONE,” she wrote on Friday. “Pray For Peace! In Paris and all around the World.”
&amp ;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp ;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp ;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp ;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;br&a mp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;amp;gt;
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6762491/madonna-on-deadly-paris-attacks-we-are-all-immigrants

Also made a speech during Rebel Heart Tour, performing 'Like a Prayer':

Amp amp amp amp

Who cares what a "pop artist" says? These people are incredibly jumped up. We may all be immigrants, doesn't mean Islam can coexist with Western Ideals
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Amp amp amp amp

Who cares what a "pop artist" says? These people are incredibly jumped up. We may all be immigrants, doesn't mean Islam can coexist with Western Ideals

Did The Queen say otherwise?
Reply 3
yawn so misleading
She sounds like one of them idiots on facebook, "deeeeerp, your ancestors were probably Vikings, how is this any different?"
Original post by Skip_Snip
She sounds like one of them idiots on facebook, "deeeeerp, your ancestors were probably Vikings, how is this any different?"

At least the Vikings brought something to us :lol:
Original post by WombRaider
At least the Vikings brought something to us :lol:

haha, when I point that out I get lots of rambles about "cultural enrichment."
Has Madonna even read a book? Last time I checked she thought Obama was a black Muslim.
Kind words. Bit she's not a politician, academic or even a charismatic philanthropist.
Reply 9
Original post by Aceadria
Has Madonna even read a book? Last time I checked she thought Obama was a black Muslim.

I can confirm she is very well read.

Lots of people who read books don't actually have a wide range of knowledge.

That's not the purpose of reading books.
Original post by moggis
I can confirm she is very well read.

Lots of people who read books don't actually have a wide range of knowledge.

That's not the purpose of reading books.

:facepalm:
Reply 11
:facepalm:

Care to explain? I'm curious.
Original post by moggis
Care to explain? I'm curious.

Not really. If you honestly can't deduct the sarcasm from my post then it's really not worth my time.
About time. I've been thinking since the attacks that we really need to hear more wisdom from pop stars right now.
Reply 14
Not really. If you honestly can't deduct the sarcasm from my post then it's really not worth my time.

Ah,you were being sarcastic. Good.Glad I asked.

It's not worth your time yet you did it anyway:smile:

Let's see now,I think on this forum I have seen several people point out that sarcasm is easily misunderstood in text.

But hey if you think I'm an idiot,no problem
Original post by moggis
Ah,you were being sarcastic. Good.Glad I asked.

It's not worth your time yet you did it anyway:smile:

Let's see now,I think on this forum I have seen several people point out that sarcasm is easily misunderstood in text.

But hey if you think I'm an idiot,no problem

Glad we ended this amicably. I don't usually enjoy talking to idiots, but I like you for some reason.
Nice sentiment but a bit self-indulgent. People go to pop concerts for escapism. We see/hear the news everyday and it's depressing, that's why we go out and do things we enjoy like going to pop concerts or clubs etc. Madonna is there to offer escapism - that's her industry, not offering speeches and minutes silence. Those people payed a lot of money for escapism, not for her to lecture them about how to change the world. A dedication of the song for the victims would have been sufficient without the pontificating.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Nice sentiment but a bit self-indulgent. People go to pop concerts for escapism. We see/hear the news everyday and it's depressing, that's why we go out and do things we enjoy like going to pop concerts or clubs etc. Madonna is there to offer escapism - that's her industry, not offering speeches and minutes silence. Those people payed a lot of money for escapism, not for her to lecture them about how to change the world. A dedication of the song for the victims would have been sufficient without the pontificating.

What if that is part of the act. Say for example the counter culture in American rock music in the 60s was often anti-Vietnam war.

The notion that pop music should not say anything and just offer a 'product of escapism' is a political statement and it is one I find rather :sick: :puke: I don't want all music to be the equivalent of going into TESCO to buy a product. :-/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What if that is part of the act. Say for example the counter culture in American rock music in the 60s was often anti-Vietnam war.

The notion that pop music should not say anything and just offer a 'product of escapism' is a political statement and it is one I find rather :sick: :puke: I don't want all music to be the equivalent of going into TESCO to buy a product. :-/

Personally, that's what Rock and Roll is for. Pop is cookie cutter music - which I don't mind, by the way. I buy into it when I want cookie cutter music. Rock and Roll speaks to generations. Whether that was The Beatles with Revolution, The Sex Pistols with God Save the Queen, Springsteen with Born in the USA or Oasis with Cigarettes and Alcohol. Rock and Roll is for political statements, Pop is for escapism. Madonna isn't Rock and Roll. We just don't have any Rock and Roll artists around at the moment - since Oasis the scene has been dead. No one has the balls to make real music and real statements anymore, they're all too busy with pre programmed drum tracks and feature artists.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Personally, that's what Rock and Roll is for. Pop is cookie cutter music - which I don't mind, by the way. I buy into it when I want cookie cutter music. Rock and Roll speaks to generations. Whether that was The Beatles with Revolution, The Sex Pistols with God Save the Queen, Springsteen with Born in the USA or Oasis with Cigarettes and Alcohol. Rock and Roll is for political statements, Pop is for escapism. Madonna isn't Rock and Roll. We just don't have any Rock and Roll artists around at the moment - since Oasis the scene has been dead. No one has the balls to make real music and real statements anymore, they're all too busy with pre programmed drum tracks and feature artists.

Ye I got nothing against the cookie cutter as you call it. But that's all there seems to be in the mainstream. (I'm not cool enough to be in the underground/indie/whatever the hell you call it scene). It;s like we have been lobotomized into mindless consumer zombies incapable of thinking outsides the confines of narrowly prescribed consumerism. Or something. I feel like I am unaware and stuck inside the Matrix but can not identify why it is I feel so detached :frown:

Also Oasis suck :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending