The Student Room Group

Self-studying A level mathematics

So, I'll get straight into it; I'm going to self study mathematics at the same time as doing my level 3 BTEC at college. The reason I'm self-studying is that I'll be at college for an extra 2 years if I were to be able to study A level mathematics there, and it would come with a grand spanking tuition fee too. Therefore, it is plausible to self-study.

I have done some research in to the matter, but have not come across the vital information that I need. I understand that I need to register to an exam board and exam centre. I am just a little unsure if I have got it right with what I need to do and learn in the syllabus. Have I got it right that I need to study 3 units in AS, then another 3 units for A2, for a full A level?

For example:

c1, c2, c3 - For AS qualification
c4, s1, s2 - For A2 qualification

Do I say to the exam centre I am studying these units and they will give me test dates for them?

The exam body is Edexcel.

Have I got this all right? Just making sure I have everything correct before I go making plans. :tongue:

Thank you for any help.
Reply 1
Original post by FORDR3D
So, I'll get straight into it; I'm going to self study mathematics at the same time as doing my level 3 BTEC at college. The reason I'm self-studying is that I'll be at college for an extra 2 years if I were to be able to study A level mathematics there, and it would come with a grand spanking tuition fee too. Therefore, it is plausible to self-study.

I have done some research in to the matter, but have not come across the vital information that I need. I understand that I need to register to an exam board and exam centre. I am just a little unsure if I have got it right with what I need to do and learn in the syllabus. Have I got it right that I need to study 3 units in AS, then another 3 units for A2, for a full A level?

For example:

c1, c2, c3 - For AS qualification
c4, s1, s2 - For A2 qualification

Do I say to the exam centre I am studying these units and they will give me test dates for them?

The exam body is Edexcel.

Have I got this all right? Just making sure I have everything correct before I go making plans. :tongue:

Thank you for any help.

C1, C2, S1 - For AS qualification
C3, C4, S2 - For A2 qualification
See above.

You can study 1 and 2 of the same applied module (so either statistics, mechanics or decision) or 1 of two of those. So with those two things some possible combinations are D1 and S1, M1 and S1, D1 and D2 or S1 and S2 as TeeEm suggested.

If I were you I would avoid mechanics as that'll be the most difficult to self teach.

If you follow through with that you can either do S1 and D1, S1 and S2 or D1 and D2, of which S1 and D1 is most likely to be the easiest combination.
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm

C1, C2, S1 - For AS qualification
C3, C4, S2 - For A2 qualification

Thank you.

Original post by SeanFM

You can study 1 and 2 of the same applied module (so either statistics, mechanics or decision) or 1 of two of those. So with those two things some possible combinations are D1 and S1, M1 and S1, D1 and D2 or S1 and S2 as TeeEm suggested.

If I were you I would avoid mechanics as that'll be the most difficult to self teach.

If you follow through with that you can either do S1 and D1, S1 and S2 or D1 and D2, of which S1 and D1 is most likely to be the easiest combination.

I was aware that I could choose from either decision, mechanics or statistics. I am choosing statistics as it is relevant for me.
I think they'll all be quite difficult without support, but I can see results from practice papers, so I'm sure I'll be fine. And setting up the exam doesn't seem straight forward.
Reply 4
Original post by FORDR3D
Thank you.

I was aware that I could choose from either decision, mechanics or statistics. I am choosing statistics as it is relevant for me.
I think they'll all be quite difficult without support, but I can see results from practice papers, so I'm sure I'll be fine. And setting up the exam doesn't seem straight forward.

my pleasure.
I hope it all works out for you
Self-studying Maths, is probably the easiest.

Thanks to Mr Stuart for creating Exam Solutions :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.net/

He Covers pretty much every unit/module of A levels maths + many of the past papers video solutions
Reply 6
Original post by SaadKaleem
Self-studying Maths, is probably the easiest.

Thanks to Mr Stuart for creating Exam Solutions :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.net/

He Covers pretty much every unit/module of A levels maths + many of the past papers video solutions

I really want to do D1 and D2 but he doesn't cover it!
Original post by ghosteh
I really want to do D1 and D2 but he doesn't cover it!

Yup unfortunately, D1 is currently in progress:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/D1/module.php

No plans on D2, currently i guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending