The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shannonbeth
Starting to lose hope of getting a place as I feel like the only person still waiting on references... The woman said she has had to ask the deputy head to comment on my capability as a teacher (who has never seen me teach by the way).
Getting fed up and my current job is getting me down, so no PGCE at the end of the tunnel is making things worse.

Don't worry I'm still waiting for references as well. It's tough waiting for a school one as Senior Leadership are so busy...! :/Hopefully it will get completed soon for you
Original post by Lambert87
Is anyone still doing their degree?

I am and just want it over now so I an train to be a teacher....

I am, still in third year.

Right now, training looks more appealing than all my assignments. :frown:
How annoying! I have two interviews on the same date! LSBU say they do not reschedule interviews unless reason are exceptional! I hope me telling one uni I will attend their interview four days before this invite is an exceptional reason!
I have an interview Monday and Wednesday. I'm considering cancelling the Monday one as the interview information and overall communications about interviews etc is a bit, well, shoddy and I don't have a good feeling about it!
Original post by fluffyowl
Honestly, do not worry. Most of the people on here are the really enthusiastic people who apply early. Many providers won't fill their places until next year, so there isn't a huge rush. I'm not applying until Jan/Feb time at the earliest as I can't get any experience until then. I'm not particularly worried.

I would have to disagree with this, as the process is first come first serve.

Furthermore, I do believe from what I was told by the supervisor during my PGCE interview, is that the government have recently changed it so that there is an overall cap of the number of trainee teachers that can be taken on. For this reason if you acquire a conditional offer until completion of your skills tests, it is possible that if you do not complete them quick enough or fail them then your place may go to another candidate as they do not want to miss out on a potential space on their course :/
Has anyone heard for Oxford/Cambridge?
Original post by TunaTunnel
Has anyone heard for Oxford/Cambridge?

No, I haven't heard a thing from Cambridge yet.

I guess they would have only seen my application on Monday but my other unis have at least told me that they've received it.
Original post by goldfishgirl
I am, still in third year.

Right now, training looks more appealing than all my assignments. :frown:

Annoying isn't it... What you studying?
AAAAAAA, help! Just got an email from UEL. The interview is on Monday. How much is there to prepare for secondary???
Original post by Jen Hawkins
Mine is 1st December too, I'm doing primary, you? :smile:

Primary upper. So much to prepare. The letter said to be there by 8.20! Absolute nightmare! I've got two children to get ready for school and crèche, drop them to my mother's for her to take them to their designated places for the day and then commute the 20 miles to Cardiff. What joy! And this is before I've even started the hard part of the day! I must really want to be a teacher....
Original post by *tango*
AAAAAAA, help! Just got an email from UEL. The interview is on Monday. How much is there to prepare for secondary???

haha, congrats! I'm spending every spare minute trying to prepare for my three interviews (school direct English), which are next thursday, friday and the following friday. What is making it harder is that the details they have given me are quite vague, just that I will be giving a mini lesson to a group of year 8s, and some subject specific written tasks. Cue me frantically trying to read up on everything and everything in the curriculum, as well as get as much theory in my head as possible too!

There's only so much you can do and I'm sure they understand that.

By the way, this video is one of my favourite things ever, and should actually probably make us NOT want to get into standard teaching, but at least it can help give us some inspiration of what the role of the teacher should or COULD be...!

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity
Original post by *tango*

This coming Monday?! Bloomin' heck that's not much notice! (I don't have tips I'm afraid as I haven't had an interview yet either).
Original post by martyncooper
haha, congrats! I'm spending every spare minute trying to prepare for my three interviews (school direct English), which are next thursday, friday and the following friday. What is making it harder is that the details they have given me are quite vague, just that I will be giving a mini lesson to a group of year 8s, and some subject specific written tasks. Cue me frantically trying to read up on everything and everything in the curriculum, as well as get as much theory in my head as possible too!

By the way, this video is one of my favourite things ever, and should actually probably make us NOT want to get into standard teaching, but at least it can help give us some inspiration of what the role of the teacher should or COULD be...!

I haven't had any email with details yet but according to their website I need to prepare a lesson plan. Niiice.

Thank you for the video link, I'll watch it after kids' bedtime :smile:
Original post by Aemiliana
This coming Monday?! Bloomin' heck that's not much notice! (I don't have tips I'm afraid as I haven't had an interview yet either).

Yes, coming Monday. Apparently, I was supposed to get an email yesterday, which I didn't. What I've got today is a reminder that I haven't responded to the invitation.

The weekend is going to be really busy :redface:
Original post by *tango*
Yes, coming Monday. Apparently, I was supposed to get an email yesterday, which I didn't. What I've got today is a reminder that I haven't responded to the invitation.

The weekend is going to be really busy :redface:

That's still not a huge amount of warning though! Did it go into your junk folder? I've been checking mine in the hopes that I've missed other emails haha.

Best of luck!
Original post by martyncooper

Thanks for sharing that video, that guy is amazing!!
Original post by Aemiliana
That's still not a huge amount of warning though! Did it go into your junk folder? I've been checking mine in the hopes that I've missed other emails haha.

Best of luck!

Thank you.
No, I always check junk mail too.

Oh well, I'll manage ... At least it seems like I don't need to teach or prepare any presentation.
Hi,

Has anyone had an interview for PGCE secondary maths? I have one next week and it would be great to get some information from anyone who has done an interview. I am not too sure what to expect!

G
Original post by MurtaghG
Hi,

Has anyone had an interview for PGCE secondary maths? I have one next week and it would be great to get some information from anyone who has done an interview. I am not too sure what to expect!

G

It depends on the institute. Mine went as follows(southampton):

Introduced to key staff members, and then shown a presentation by the education department about the PGCE course. We then got split up into two groups (I am secondary maths so went with secondary science, the other groups were arts) and then we got led to a different room. We had to do a 3 minute presentation on a chosen topic (i presented it to just one other candidate and two members of staff, the head of maths and head of science). We then had to sit a GCSE Maths paper (short) and were given an article and were told to write a short summary of what our views were on the article. We then had individual interviews, were told we would know within the week if we got in and that's it!
Original post by kizzz!
Thanks for sharing that video, that guy is amazing!!

Ken Robinson!! He's brilliant isn't he!!

Watch his other videos too, funny and inspirational.

Also, I've found this one particularly thought provoking, about the myth of learner types:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=855Now8h5Rs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending