The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Design @ Loughborough

Hey,I am looking at going to Loughborough Uni to study either Product Design or Design Ergonomics

I found out about the uni from some people I met, and they said that as well as a portfolio, they had to also design and manufacture a product from which they were given a brief from the uni?

I was wondering if anyone knew if this is done (I don't mind, just trying to be prepared)???

Original post by ariellevb
Hey,I am looking at going to Loughborough Uni to study either Product Design or Design Ergonomics

I found out about the uni from some people I met, and they said that as well as a portfolio, they had to also design and manufacture a product from which they were given a brief from the uni?

I was wondering if anyone knew if this is done (I don't mind, just trying to be prepared)???

Hi ariellevb

I've e-mailed the school and will let you know as soon as I find out the answer.

Vicky
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Hi ariellevb

I've heard back from the school and this is what they say:

"When applicants apply, and if they meet our requirements, they will be invited to interview at the school. Once they book their interview date via the online booking form, they will be emailed information about what they need to bring with them. This will include a portfolio and a design task.

All the information about what we require for the portfolio and design task will be emailed once an interview date booking has been made. Our invitations to interview will be starting to go out over the next week or so."

I know if doesn't completely answer your question, but hope it helps a bit.
Is this enough info for you at this stage?

Vicky
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi ariellevb

I've heard back from the school and this is what they say:

"When applicants apply, and if they meet our requirements, they will be invited to interview at the school. Once they book their interview date via the online booking form, they will be emailed information about what they need to bring with them. This will include a portfolio and a design task.

All the information about what we require for the portfolio and design task will be emailed once an interview date booking has been made. Our invitations to interview will be starting to go out over the next week or so."

I know if doesn't completely answer your question, but hope it helps a bit.
Is this enough info for you at this stage?

Vicky

Thank you Vicky, this does help
:smile:
Thank you Vicky, this does help
:smile:

You're welcome :smile:

Vicky
Reply 5
When I applied for a Loughborough Design degree in 2011 I was given a very open ended design task, I cannot exactly remember the specification that was given to me, but I ended up designing a TV remote control which included inclusive design aspects to cater for elderly/visually impaired people. My 'project' consisted of 1 A3 page with sketches and annotations. They will not be looking for a finished product, but rather a project that includes considerations for other aspects such as ergonomics, manufacturing/production, environmental impact etc. in the design process rather than just aesthetics.
My portfolio was just a collection of works I had completed for my GCSE and A/As level product design coursework's nothing special.
Original post by toolflab
When I applied for a Loughborough Design degree in 2011 I was given a very open ended design task, I cannot exactly remember the specification that was given to me, but I ended up designing a TV remote control which included inclusive design aspects to cater for elderly/visually impaired people. My 'project' consisted of 1 A3 page with sketches and annotations. They will not be looking for a finished product, but rather a project that includes considerations for other aspects such as ergonomics, manufacturing/production, environmental impact etc. in the design process rather than just aesthetics.
My portfolio was just a collection of works I had completed for my GCSE and A/As level product design coursework's nothing special.

Hi :smile:

I'm doing a design task ATM! And I'm wondering did you include how to manufacture your product? What if it's a complex material unlike polymer? Also do you think everyone gets an interview

Rookie :smile:
Reply 7
I didn't in mine, but that's not to say you shouldn't in yours. As mentioned in my previous post, I'm sure they are looking for people who can show considerations of other design aspects, so manufacturing could be adventitious to consider. I was questioned on my material choise during my interview also. So yes, do some reading on appropriate materials. I have no idea about the likelihood of interviews!
Reply 8
Hey,

So i'm a Design Ergonomics Finalist, I did the 4yr sandwich course, if you've got any specific questions, ask away!

Mil
Does any one have a example portfolio!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending