The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if Glasgow has changed from PBL based to integrated? :colondollar:
I know previously Glasgow was very much a PBL based course but at an open day I was told that it has actually changed to integrated :s-smilie:
Wasn't able to find anything online!
Original post by maybemedic98
Does anyone know if Glasgow has changed from PBL based to integrated? :colondollar:
I know previously Glasgow was very much a PBL based course but at an open day I was told that it has actually changed to integrated :s-smilie:
Wasn't able to find anything online!

I thought integrated just mean early clinical stuff, so it could be both integrated and PBL?
Original post by ScaredBanana
I thought integrated just mean early clinical stuff, so it could be both integrated and PBL?

PBL and integrated are completely different things. PBL is a way of learning and integrated is a structure of learning.
Sorry for the confusion! I'm meaning teaching styles. According to my book it's saying integrated and PBL are both teaching styles (I've popped a picture in just in case that helps!):smile:
image.jpg
Reply 624
Original post by maybemedic98
Sorry for the confusion! I'm meaning teaching styles. According to my book it's saying integrated and PBL are both teaching styles (I've popped a picture in just in case that helps!):smile:
image.jpg

It's PBL but comprises of many teaching methods. So it's essentially a PBL course.
It is also integrated.
Original post by Errrrm
It's PBL but comprises of many teaching methods. So it's essentially a PBL course.
It is also integrated.

It uses lectures PBLs everything. It no longer is just PBL so you can't call it PBL based...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Integrated means combing pre clinical knowledge with clinical skills...so it's not two distinct phases

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 627
Original post by Dylan_20
It uses lectures PBLs everything. It no longer is just PBL so you can't call it PBL based...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.
It's a mixed spiral curriculum.

I wouldn't mention early patient contact as we only get a few visits in first year
Original post by rohan_sood
Any of you guys going to the medlink conference in Nottingham?

Hey rohan_sood :smile: We're going to the conference! And we're really looking forward to it! Make sure you pop down to our stand and say hello. We're giving away goodies and sweets - so many sweets (12kg of sweets!) We've also got a really fun game for people to test their medical skills on. See you there!
Reply 630
Original post by Pennyarcade

I wouldn't mention early patient contact as we only get a few visits in first year

Oh really. I was hoping on using this lol. Would it be a bad argument to make?
Original post by Atham

They've put it in their prospectus as a bonus, so it must be a good thing if you mention it...maybe they mean early patient contact in terms of practising clinical skills with actors + the few visits they get to A&E wards and GPs?
Original post by Pennyarcade

Do you mind clarifying what the PBL situation is? I've heard from a few people (and from the Glasgow medicine YouTube videos) that it's 100% PBL, 'teach yourself medicine'. But the website doesn't mention this, and a friend at Edinburgh says he heard that they've removed most of the PBL because it wasn't working out at all. I'm so confused!
Reply 633
Interviews start next week.

Does playing medic in TF2 count as interview prep?
[video="youtube;Qj1BjhI-P0w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1BjhI-P0w[/video]

All jokes aside, good luck :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
is the Glasgow medicine degree 5 years or 6 years minimum? I'm so confused about this,i think some places are 6 years and some are 5?
Original post by sunburner
is the Glasgow medicine degree 5 years or 6 years minimum? I'm so confused about this,i think some places are 6 years and some are 5?

5 at Glasgow
Original post by Atham

Original post by madmed16
x

I just dont think its a very good argument to make. Thus far I've been to a GP surgery once, spoken to volunteer patients once and am visiting A&E next week.

Compare this to dundee, for example, where they are on wards most afternoons - it isnt that much

Original post by prospectivemed56
Do you mind clarifying what the PBL situation is? I've heard from a few people (and from the Glasgow medicine YouTube videos) that it's 100% PBL, 'teach yourself medicine'. But the website doesn't mention this, and a friend at Edinburgh says he heard that they've removed most of the PBL because it wasn't working out at all. I'm so confused!

It used to be like that. If first year is anything to go by, the PBL is the bulk of your work for the week and it is then supplemented by lectures, dissections, labs and other group work.
Reply 637
Just arrived in Glasgow. Everythinf is so big and tall!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy

Posted from TSR Mobile

😂 haha!! 😂
Reply 639
Original post by Fibsy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol. Good luck. For how long are you staying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending