The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YeloSweetPotato
Anyone planning to get to Warwick from London on Saturday 9th?
Especially for the 1pm-2.30pm slot? :biggrin:

Yep. But for the 3.30 slot. I already bought my train ticket because I know how expensive it gets closer to the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With regards to Barts - I got 697.5 in my UKCAT and have a first class BSc, and am yet to hear from them. Someone posted the other day that they had 695 UKCAT and a 1st class Bsc and were given an interview offer. So if they're only going on UKCAT and academics then if i'm not offered an interview something isn't adding up right?!

Hence why I think maaaaaaybe more are coming? Not sure though!??!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4182
Original post by RexyB
The reason we think that is that so far no one with a 2.1 has come out and said they had an interview.

So either Bart's aren't giving offers to people with 2.1s (a la Birmingham) which would be harsh as they said 50:50 or there are more coming.

I've got an interview at Birmingham and I only got a 2.1... It does happen! (Although I was not expecting it haha)

Bit odd no one with a 2.1 has been invited for interview at barts yet but maybe because this is the first year they've weighted it 50:50 they didn't realise how many people with a 1st apply and there could just be that many of them that they can afford to only invite those? Who has a clue! I'm still hoping they send out a second batch of interviews later on at some point :h:

Edit: hadn't caught up on the rest of the feed before I wrote this, that scoring system could be how they've done it... In which case I definitely wasted an application. Oh well
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by smb18
I've got an interview at Birmingham and I only got a 2.1... It does happen! (Although I was not expecting it haha)

Bit odd no one with a 2.1 has been invited for interview at barts yet but maybe because this is the first year they've weighted it 50:50 they didn't realise how many people with a 1st apply and there could just be that many of them that they can afford to only invite those? Who has a clue! I'm still hoping they send out a second batch of interviews later on at some point :h:

I hope you're right 🙋
Anyone waiting to hear from Bart's don't get disheartened, they're still looking at applications, and the lovely lady in admissions said that they'll be reviewing applications till January, so there is still hope!!! just keep your head up, though out of curiousity, if medicine doesn't work out for people this year, what are people looking at doing? a masters then apply again? with the 2016 post graduate loans, I am considering that, this is my second year applying to medicine, and I don't want to be out of education for three straight years. I strangely miss the stress of exams and deadlines, and also the feel of learning in a lecture hall :smile:
Just be aware that 'having a Masters' wont put you any further up the pecking order for an interview - you will continue to be assessed only on your A levels/GCSEs and your first degree. So is it worth doing another year of study, with more debt, if that isn't going to make any difference?

Where many graduate applicants fall down is that their PS is often just an assessment of what knowledge they gained from their existing degree - without any clear idea of why they 'want to be a doctor' or lacking genuine reflection on work experience. In many cases, school-leavers actually have far more appropriate, and more long-term, work experience than graduates.

Taking a year out to work in a care-home, a special school, a hospital or to a volunteer for a homeless charity or simply to work in Tescos might fill that 'experience' gap far better than doing a Masters.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Just be aware that 'having a Masters' wont put you any further up the pecking order for an interview - you will continue to be assessed only on your A levels/GCSEs and your first degree. So is it worth doing another year of study, with more debt, if that isn't going to make any difference?

Where many graduate applicants fall down is that their PS is often just an assessment of what knowledge they gained from their existing degree - without any clear idea of why they 'want to be a doctor' or lacking genuine reflection on work experience. In many cases, school-leavers actually have far more appropriate, and more long-term, work experience than graduates.

Taking a year out to work in a care-home, a special school, a hospital or to a volunteer for a homeless charity or simply to work in Tescos might fill that 'experience' gap far better than doing a Masters.

I thought some universities like Warwick (who incidentally have the biggest graduate intake) value a masters more highly, especially if you have a 2.i?

In the interests of ensuring a level playing field is it not right that it should not be a competition over who has the best and most work experience once a sensible minimum amount is reached?
Original post by prospectivemed56
I'm not so sure that there are more invitations coming (although I would desperately love to be wrong). If they're using some kind of scoring system which gives, say, one point each for a 1st, MSc, PhD, and 1 point for UKCAT >650, 2 for >725, and 3 for >800, then people like me with a 2.1 and 750 UKCAT would get only 2 points. The people with offers seemingly all have 1st, PhDs, and UKCAT around the 700 range, which would put them at 4 points.

I've got a 747.5 UKCAT and my 1st is predicted, so they must take predictions into account (I have an interview). I was thinking it might be some kind of multiplier.

As Charlie said, Warwick and quite possibly Barts are scoring applications higher if you hold a masters. I believe Oxford and Cambridge like it too espesically as thry are very research focused.

Also I dont think any of the GEM courses Ive applied for even look at PS, but regardless of that all the people I know applying for GEM have a lot of clinical/care experience.

You seem very emphatic that a Masters will not affect an applicant's ranking in any way. This seems to contradict what Bart's have said: their new ranking system takes into account only degree classification, Masters degrees, and PhDs. A good Masters can also compensate for a 2.2 in many places, and will give you extra points in several universities' ranking systems for example Warwick.

That said, OP, I wouldn't recommend doing a Masters unless you're absolutely set on the idea of doing one for its own merits. It's very expensive and will give you at best a marginal advantage in applying for medicine. For literally 10% of the price you could take the GAMSAT and some UKCAT courses, and still be able to save money and build your work experience (possibly at the same time!). A high enough UKCAT would guarantee you an interview at Southampton, for example.
Original post by CharlieGEM

In the interests of ensuring a level playing field is it not right that it should not be a competition over who has the best and most work experience once a sensible minimum amount is reached?

Its not 'amount' - its about showing you have experience and ability with people, and that you have the required sense of empathy and altruism. 3 or 4 years in the selective environment of a University and a few days shadowing a GP doesn't show this.
Its not 'amount' - its about showing you have experience and ability with people, and that you have the required sense of empathy and altruism. 3 or 4 years in the selective environment of a University and a few days shadowing a GP doesn't show this.

This, so much. I applied in final year and just after graduation and the clinical placements definitely fuelled my ambitions but actually spending a year working with my own patients and in real MDTs as a professional, not a student, is a completely different experience.

I started an MSc for the extra points at Warwick but it wasn't worth the time and financial commitment. I just took the first offer I got, I learned a lot and did well but it didn't help me on my way to medicine at all. I left it at a postgrad certificate and worked on improving my ukcat. I got interviews at Warwick and Barts purely because I went up a decile in that test. It is the biggest factor once you have met the minimum academic requirements.

I do fully recommend getting a job in healthcare in a hands on role, seeing people that I could be helping more is such a motivation. It also helps you develop a healthy respect for all the different people that care for a patient.
Original post by smb18

Edit: hadn't caught up on the rest of the feed before I wrote this, that scoring system could be how they've done it... In which case I definitely wasted an application. Oh well

Congrats on Birmingham...just wanted to know if your degree overall was 68% or above?

Given work experience placements aren't assessed, pardon me for pointing out the obvious, but I'm not entirely convinced that hours spent in whatever environment nor however people "reflect" in the expected way in interviews is a decent proxy for ability or empathy with people. Maybe I'm just being cynical (reflecting other industries I've worked in) but I have often thought that the best indicator of ability with people and empathy is how people behave in their personal lives. Of course this cannot be reliably assessed either :wink: hence the use of work experience as a proxy.

I am saying this as someone who thinks work experience (approx 200 varied hours of it so far that I have really enjoyed) has been useful in confirming my decision to pursue medicine but a lot of the idea/desire (and insight into what this involves) came from a number of different things in my personal life that won't be mentioned in a personal statement.
Reply 4194
Original post by Ooompalumpa
Congrats on Birmingham...just wanted to know if your degree overall was 68% or above?

Thank you! Yeah I got 68.5% 🙂
Original post by prospectivemed56
I'm not so sure that there are more invitations coming (although I would desperately love to be wrong). If they're using some kind of scoring system which gives, say, one point each for a 1st, MSc, PhD, and 1 point for UKCAT >650, 2 for >725, and 3 for >800, then people like me with a 2.1 and 750 UKCAT would get only 2 points. The people with offers seemingly all have 1st, PhDs, and UKCAT around the 700 range, which would put them at 4 points.

I disagree with this points system. If it's anything, it would be similar to the one used at Leicester, exchanging degree qualification for GCSE grades. Ps I went to the open day and they mentioned a few times that your band in the SJT is also used in the points system. They also said that they read personal statements so that could explain why they are taking their time with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
I've got a 747.5 UKCAT and my 1st is predicted, so they must take predictions into account (I have an interview). I was thinking it might be some kind of multiplier.

I've got a 757.5 UKCAT and am also predicted a 1st but still no new from Barts :frown: hopefully there's more coming out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4197
Hi everyone, I've read the latest posts about interviews and point system and things. Honestly, I have no idea how it works. I'm a final year biomed, don't have much work experience compared to everyone else (2 weeks full-time at a hospital + 1 term volunteering once a fortnight), didn't do particularly well on the BMAT (4.5 6.5 3.5A), but still got an interview from Oxford.

(I know, I was really surprised too).

Really the only thing that stood out in my application I think was my personal statement. So I'm not sure how they rank candidates at all. Maybe really few people applied to Oxford this year?

On that note, anyone going to Oxford from London on Wednesday?
Does anyone know the gamsat cuttoff for liverpool?
Original post by Zbluez
Hi everyone, I've read the latest posts about interviews and point system and things. Honestly, I have no idea how it works. I'm a final year biomed, don't have much work experience compared to everyone else (2 weeks full-time at a hospital + 1 term volunteering once a fortnight), didn't do particularly well on the BMAT (4.5 6.5 3.5A), but still got an interview from Oxford.

(I know, I was really surprised too).

Really the only thing that stood out in my application I think was my personal statement. So I'm not sure how they rank candidates at all. Maybe really few people applied to Oxford this year?

On that note, anyone going to Oxford from London on Wednesday?

Congratulations! U must be thrilled! wish u all the best! let me know how it goes i really want to apply to oxford next year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending