The Student Room Group

Guardian: Women outnumber men in 112 of 180 degree subjects; thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not real degrees. Might as well be giving them money to do nothing for three years.
I'm here to talk to you about female oppression.

Did you know that women are under-represented in 68 subjects? Male dominance in these subjects is causing women to be under skilled and under employed in many jobs.
(edited 8 years ago)
(edited 8 years ago)
On a serious note, I wonder if feminists who talk about equality would argue that we need more males in subjects like medicine and nursing? After all, males are under represented in these subjects.
It's not surprising, we already knew that women are more likely to go to university on the whole. Which also fits into the fact they do better in school. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the uni admissions system here - it's more down to women generally being more interested in going to uni and more motivated to get the grades they need to do so - but the fact UCAS is moving to blind applications soon which means admissions officers won't see an applicants name or gender should answer the question one way or the other.
Original post by AlwaysWatching

Did you know that women are under-represented in 68 subjects? Male dominance in these subjects is causing women to be under skilled and under employed in many jobs.

The article said 65
It's sad that a lot of young people are being duped into applying for University for professions where historically, degrees have not been needed or choosing to take degrees which seem absolutely pointless.

A lot of it is society's fault, in their negligence to combat such prejudices but some of the blame must lie with the gullible idiots who only decide to pursue a degree to get, in their words, "a university experience".

Where females outnumber men (nursing, education, social work and design), these are degrees where historically there have been no need for degrees. In fact, my maternal relatives would be adequately qualified in those areas without ever having pursued it at a degree level, for it is based on experience, rather than knowledge of abstract theories.

On the whole, I think people have been stigmatized and in certain cases, discriminated against simply because they have not attended University. In the vast majority of cases, a social degree is simply not needed but this report explores an interesting (subconscious) question:

Are women more gullible than men?
Original post by imsoanonymous123
The article said 65

Even worse!!
Now that's what I call equality...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nverjvlev
All we need is complete equality of opportunity and freedom from the gender-related stigma around men being nurses or women being builders. Maybe in one generation no women will want to be lawyers and no men will want to be musicians, as long as they're making that choice for healthy reasons, it isn't an issue.

Under/over-representation of one gender isn't necessarily a problem, it's the reasons for this representation that normally highlight the problems.

We already have equality of opportunity in these areas. There is legislation specifically designed to stop employers from discriminating based on gender...if there was any reason to believe that men and women weren't making these decisions on 'healthy' bases then you would have a point, but this doesn't seem to exist. The reason there are fewer women builders and male nurses probably has more to do with natural inclination and ability. Fewer women have the physique to succeed in the building industry, and fewer men are pre-disposed to caring for the sick.
Gender in balance in a field isn't an issue in my eyes, it's the causes that may be an issue. If a particular gender is given some advantage over the other that is wrong. And I say that for fields were men out weight women.
Original post by nverjvlev
All we need is complete equality of opportunity and freedom from the gender-related stigma around men being nurses or women being builders. Maybe in one generation no women will want to be lawyers and no men will want to be musicians, as long as they're making that choice for healthy reasons, it isn't an issue.

Under/over-representation of one gender isn't necessarily a problem, it's the reasons for this representation that normally highlight the problems.

Yes and in todays society men CAN be nurses (I know one personally) and girls CAN be builders (again, no builders but I a couple of female mechanics). The problem is that people equate casual banter and expectations to oppression, but at the end of the day with the exception of a few fringe circumstances their expertise is just as respected as someone of the opposite gender.

Hell, the female mechanic I used to work with got heaps of stick for being a girl but at the end of the day when she said stop we did and she worked there perfectly happly as a member of the team. If people wern't so stuck up then there would be no issue, although using logic on the kinds of folks who do decide to study gender studies doesnt tend to work. It seems what feminists (not the men hating tumblr ones) want is a 50/50 workforce in EVERY field, which is never going to happen, oppression is bad but societal norms have been about for thousands of years and can not just be reversed with legislation.
Reply 13
Feminists will still come up with some bs, like it is justified because women are still oppressed and suffer everyday.
As long as there are 'gender studies' courses i couldnt give a damn. It just means more room for us men in Engineering and particular Sciences.
Reply 15
Original post by TheGoldenEagle
As long as there are 'gender studies' courses i couldnt give a damn. It just means more room for us men in Engineering and particular Sciences.

Precisely so; and members of the opposite sex will still be present to fulfill a certain function for which one might require them.
On a serious note, I wonder if feminists who talk about equality would argue that we need more males in subjects like medicine and nursing? After all, males are under represented in these subjects.

Well statistics show that men outnumber women in the higher positions of nursing mesning ghey are more likely to get promoted (even though its traditionally a female dominated profession).

I agree though there should be more men in nursing not sure of the reason why but from mh experience of working as an assistant several male agency supoort worker staff have refused to do personal care. I havent seen this yet with a female staff (not saying it doesnt happen). So the lower number of males working on the wards could be something to do with this reluctance maybe.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is anything going to be done about it, probably not. #Feminism #TrueEquality
I wonder if they removed pointless degrees like "gender studies", "women studies", and other SJW crap the imbalance would still be present.

The sad thing is I can genuinely see this becoming a news headline in a few weeks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending