The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kennethdcharles
Alright cheers! :smile: I'm taking Maths Further Maths Physics and Chemistry with exams in Maths and Physics :colondollar:

Damn, good luck XD Do you know what degree you want to do?
Original post by AtomicAJ
Damn, good luck XD Do you know what degree you want to do?

Somehow I do!? I want to do a degree in physics and later on go into research. What about you?
Somehow I do!? I want to do a degree in physics and later on go into research. What about you?

Medicine, if I don't make it then a degree and a conversion degree thing (GDL?) to become a lawyer. Or midwifery (a senior one though)
Medicine, if I don't make it then a degree and a conversion degree thing (GDL?) to become a lawyer. Or midwifery (a senior one though)

Good luck with getting into medical school! How much is Harris Westminster helping you with that?
Good luck with getting into medical school! How much is Harris Westminster helping you with that?

Thanks ^.^ Quite a bit, there's medical society, lectures and a new cultural perspective has been introduced this coming term for BMAT preparation
Thanks ^.^ Quite a bit, there's medical society, lectures and a new cultural perspective has been introduced this coming term for BMAT preparation

That's awesome. Good luck once again! :biggrin:

What cultural perspectives did you do this term and how did you find them? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm taking the biology and chemistry exam. I study AQA for science at the moment. Do you think it will be a problem in terms of the content covered? As every board is different and AQA isn't known for being the most thorough.
Original post by BluBird :)
I'm taking the biology and chemistry exam. I study AQA for science at the moment. Do you think it will be a problem in terms of the content covered? As every board is different and AQA isn't known for being the most thorough.

I'm not sure because I did OCR gateway, but I remember that last year the test was really good, it was on plants and plant cells/animal cells. So labelling the nucleus, mitochondria etc. and stating their roles. With the plant part it showed a graph of carbon dioxide levels in a room that a plant was being kept in, I think?? And you had to explain each section.
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
What cultural perspectives did you do this term and how did you find them? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Modern Greek- it was really interesting but I can't say I remember too much of it XD

Myth Busting and mental health- I really loved this, I found it so interesting to learn about different disorders and their misconceptions.

Printmaking- As someone who likes art but takes mostly science based subjects, it was a nice creative outlet for me.
Reply 1150
Thank you very much for the info :smile:

Original post by tumiowolabi
Hey, I did the chemistry entrance exam and tbh it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just go over GCSE content and it will be alright.

For the maths interview; it really depends on who interviews you. I got a really nice teacher and it felt more like a conversation rather than an interview. He did ask me to prove the sine and cosine rule which was alright, but he gave me the choice on what I wanted to be interviewed in and being the maths geek that I am trigonometry was the first thing that popped into my head, but in general you have nothing to be worried about.

Some people didn't even do the exam/interview, they just brought their results on results day and enrolled, so I guess that could be an option
Reply 1151
Ah I appreciate the info and advice! Thank you!

I did terribly in the chemistry exam, I answered only a handful of questions. Though if I were to do it again I would have done much better because I didn't revise enough for it.. last year we had to do entrance exams on all four topics rather than choosing two and as I wasn't expecting to go to the school I skipped it. Then by chance a month or so later they said they were doing a second one for those who didn't come to the first and my dad forced me to go so I did and as a result I only had a short time to revise- I chose to focus on maths and biology. Tips would be to revise GCSE chemistry, the parts that you're not as good at because anything can be on the test. From last year I remember calculations and the empirical formula

My maths interview was horrific XD I was so nervous that when he (I had the head teacher of all people) asked me what half of 1 was I said 5 instead of 0.5 *sigh of embarassement*. I honestly think my entrance exams saved me. He had a piece of paper, folded it in a certain way and asked me to work out the angles without giving me any. He helps you when you get stuck
Hey guys, I am applying to hwsf too for maths, f.maths, physics and chemistry. I have my exam on maths and physics from 11.15-13.15 at royal horticulture halls on the 23rd. Not really sure how to prelare for the physics exam tbh?

To help decide between my sixth form amd hwsf, how much help does hwsf give for university exams such as mat and step?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For anyone who sat the physics exam, how hard was it? And how best to prepare for it? Thanks
Original post by AweysAbdul
To help decide between my sixth form amd hwsf, how much help does hwsf give for university exams such as mat and step?

A significant amount (far more than my old school was giving to their sixth-formers).

I'll add some detail to that when I have time - for reference, I'm in year 13, doing Maths at Uni.
Original post by StrangeBanana
A significant amount (far more than my old school was giving to their sixth-formers).

I'll add some detail to that when I have time - for reference, I'm in year 13, doing Maths at Uni.

Hi. I'm in year 12 at the moment and would like to pursue a maths-based degree. Hence, doing a STEP exam is something I'll have to put into consideration in the coming months. Quick question: how did the school help you with STEP perperation? I've heard that it's quite different from the conventional A-level exams, and is certainly something to dedicate some time to consididering its importance and relative difficulty. Were there any lunch/after school sessions with maths teachers? And if so, what was the time spent doing? Going over past paper questions, I presume?

Sorry for all the questions, but browsing the STEP TSR thread's really gotten me riled up about it :biggrin:
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Hi. I'm in year 12 at the moment and would like to pursue a maths-based degree. Hence, doing a STEP exam is something I'll have to put into consideration in the coming months. Quick question: how did the school help you with STEP perperation? I've heard that it's quite different from the conventional A-level exams, and is certainly something to dedicate some time to consididering its importance and relative difficulty. Were there any lunch/after school sessions with maths teachers? And if so, what was the time spent doing? Going over past paper questions, I presume?

Sorry for all the questions, but browsing the STEP TSR thread's really gotten me riled up about it :biggrin:

They gave me a lot of support. There were afternoon sessions every week with one of the maths teachers (initially they were about BMO1 but after that we focussed on STEP); I was in a group of 3 or 4 students. Yeah, we went through past problems, and he (the teacher, a Hungarian guy, absolute legend) would go through the techniques that come up a lot in them, and really show us the kind of mindset you need when you're tackling the problems.

You have to do a lot of work on your own just going through the papers if you want to do well on STEP, no matter how good your teacher is, but having someone who really knows his stuff to guide you really does help.
Original post by StrangeBanana
They gave me a lot of support. There were afternoon sessions every week with one of the maths teachers (initially they were about BMO1 but after that we focussed on STEP); I was in a group of 3 or 4 students. Yeah, we went through past problems, and he (the teacher, a Hungarian guy, absolute legend) would go through the techniques that come up a lot in them, and really show us the kind of mindset you need when you're tackling the problems.

You have to do a lot of work on your own just going through the papers if you want to do well on STEP, no matter how good your teacher is, but having someone who really knows his stuff to guide you really does help.

When did the afternoon sessions begin and for how long were they? Do year 12s also do them?

And what universities have you applied for? Do hwsf help with oxbridge applications much?

Thanks a lot 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does school on Saturday seem worth it?
Original post by AweysAbdul
When did the afternoon sessions begin and for how long were they? Do year 12s also do them?

And what universities have you applied for? Do hwsf help with oxbridge applications much?

Thanks a lot 😆

They started after the first half-term of last year, and they've been going on since then. They last the whole of lab, on Tuesday afternoons (so about 2 hours, and sometimes they go on for an hour after school, based on how much we're enjoying ourselves ^^). They're not compulsory, though, so I still have lab available if I have something urgent to do. There is one year 12 who does them with us this year, yeah.

Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL and King's College London. They gave me a lot of help, though I can only really speak for the Maths department. I should tell you each person in the school is assigned a personal mentor, that they can go to for support concerning UCAS.

Three people (including me) applied for Maths at Cambridge, and we were all given plenty of advice when writing our personal statements - over the Summer between year 12 and 13 I was emailing my Maths teacher weekly with some work on it, and he'd respond with specific, helpful feedback. Also, we each had some interview preparation, including a couple of practice interviews.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending